It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Corporations Have Almost Erased Workers' Rights in the US, and More

page: 1
<<   2 >>

+6 more 
posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 11:53 PM
In the wake of hearting news from Seattle about a $15.00/hour minimum wage.

There is terrible news about the state of Workers' in the US:

You need to know this. Big Business should declare victory. According to data from the International Trade Union Confederation, it appears that corporations have almost completely destroyed workers' rights in the United States. A 97-point evaluation of labor-related criteria found that our nation ranks as bad as Pakistan, Indonesia, and Thailand when it comes to workers' rights. The criteria for the study ranged from the right to strike or protest, to collective bargaining rights, to basic civil liberties. The only places that were ranked worse for workers were countries experiencing "open violent conflict."

Did you read that: "That only places that were worse for workers (and we are all workers) were countries experienceing "open violent conflict."

The actual report can be found here:

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 12:08 AM
a reply to: FyreByrd
Flag and Star Fyrebird. Bad news for Amerika though...
except it may indicate we're next if we can shrug off
fifty or sixty years or sedation and educationating.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 12:47 AM
Workers rights have declined steadily since I started working years ago. Not all corporations are bad though. The new thing is subcontract labor which will be going bonkers in the future. The employer will not have to supply insurance or paid holidays. They will not have to pay half of the Social security and medicare like they do now. The employee will need a liability insurance plan to cover their work also. No workers comp insurance or unemployment for the workers either. They will pay just a little higher rate and the worker will slip backwards with inferior benefits.

In a few years there will be no upper middle class, just lower middle class, the poor, and the top five percent.

This is just my prediction, the path can change though, someone might do it, but it won't be the Democrats.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 12:55 AM
Just opt out of paying tax most constitutions say its a voluntary contribution you just got to learn how they use the wording against us. a nice letter to the government stating how you oppose the tax money being spent on whatever you are against health care is a good one seeing there are cures for cancer arthritis diabeties and no education on how to look after your body research the lakhovsky or rife machine both are based on frequency.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 04:02 AM
Now how do we feel about "union busting"??
At least when we had those "greedy" unions we had work.
Glad to be retired!

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 04:06 AM
a reply to: jinni73
Nice trick but I have 2 words for you, "Wesley Snipes" or "Willie Nelson" or Any other well to do person that has or had a much better lawyer than you do.
In the real world thumbing your nose @ the fed only gets you broke and imprisoned.
If you plan on doing this, invest in soap on a rope!

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 05:02 AM
a reply to: g146541

If everyone stopped, they couldn't throw us all in prison... oh wait, I forgot they have fema camps with the barbed wire pointing in... nevermind....

But seriously, he's telling the truth. Income tax is worded as a voluntary tax. Now, whether or not you could ever convince a judge that this means you don't have to pay it, well, good luck with that.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 10:51 AM
when people think it is ok for ANY worker to not be paid a living wage we as a nation have applauded the corps efforts.

Primarily because those that do get paid decent think they are better than, and if others get paid decent somehow they feel it is taking from them????

Any time a worker is eligible for public aid of any sort, the Corp should be fined $3 for every one dollar in aid the worker gets from the govt.

To even think it is OK for there to be workers on food stamps, public housing, etc is UN AMERICAN

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 11:48 AM
This thread might have valid complaints except for one thing... nobody is forced to work for anyone or for any specific wage. You do not have to work for McDonalds, or Wal-Mart, or Applebees. Alternatively many people work for those three specific companies and get paid a living wage.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 12:52 PM

originally posted by: jjkenobi
This thread might have valid complaints except for one thing... nobody is forced to work for anyone or for any specific wage. You do not have to work for McDonalds, or Wal-Mart, or Applebees. Alternatively many people work for those three specific companies and get paid a living wage.

if your income is low enough to qualify for a public aid, then you are NOT getting paid

a living wage.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 01:12 PM
a reply to: rickymouse

Yep it was a lot different when I was starting out. Fast food jobs were for teens as after school jobs or maybe a Mom picking up spending money while the kids were at school - no one, or hardly anyone, expected to be able to live off it. Most full-time work would support a family and most full-time work included benefits of all kinds for that family. The Unions got us that. The Unions pulled up wages and working conditions for everyone. I remember when most large companies regularly gave you a cost-of-living increase to help offset any inflation.

Heck I recall when Greed was considered a character defect rather than an assest. I remember when people were loyal to their employers because their employers were loyal to them. Heck, I remember when people cared about each other's welfare and not just their own.

So - this is the pride of the USA, being at the bottom of the list for workers rights. I guess that would put the USA at the top of the list for monopolistic tryanny.

I will never understand why working people vote against their own interest and why small business people do as well.

Is it because we are so mean spirited and delusional to believe that "when I get rich and I want to f*** people over too".

The most posperous countries are the ones that have a healthy social democracy - in Yellow on the map in the original source. That is fact. It has been fact since at least the end of WWII.

Delusion and ignorance with a mighty sense of exeptionalism is growing in the USA. It is a immature response to fear, a fear that we all feel in uncertain times. Having a sense of security in security in the workplace and the security of knowing that you can support your family go a long way to negating these fears that cause us to behavior in counterproductive manners.

Unions gave us that security.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 01:48 PM

unions were broke mostly by people fearing to confront the cops that the corps would call in when strikes happened.

strikes are what gave the unions power. and mate, strikes that were effective were NOT just a group of guys standing around with "Honk if you ...." signs. They were about PICKET LINES>

picket lines were a THREAT of VIOLENCE to anyone that attempted to cross.

When strikers stopped beating up the picket line crossing scabs, then strikes lost ALL bargaining power.

Also, the corps used immigrants (mostly illegal ones or H1-visa scabs) as a way to weaken the union bargaining power.

this was ALL done by the oligarchs that write policy. They KNEW that bringing in MILLIONS of foreign workers at a time when automation was already chiseling away at labor would drive down wages and drive up profits.

No country that has growing technology and automation needs immigrants! they are already going to be less jobs to go around every year due to that, which in turn will increase unemployment.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 02:53 PM
Bravo for Seatlle! At least there’s 1 forward-thinking community left in America.

I posted to a couple similar threads not long ago regarding minimum wage, and my message here is the same. So, out of pure laziness I’ll just copy/paste parts of it here, with maybe a few minor changes/additions.

My feeling about it goes like this:
It’s obscene. The income disparity in the US has become truly alarming and paints a dismal picture of the times to come. The middle class is nearing extinction, while the fat cats are thriving and hoarding all the resources. It really amazes me how politicians are able to manipulate the masses and convince them that voting against their own best interests is in fact in their own best interest. Convoluted and devious, but effective.

Believe it or not, there was a time not all that long ago when a single-income family was possible. America actually had a middle class, and our standard of living was envied by most of the world. We had a first-class educational system. We did big things and had a real vision for the future. The American Dream was alive.

From what I’ve read, there’s no consensus amongst economists regarding truly significant effects on the economy by raising the minimum wage. Some will say that X number of people will lose their jobs. Mostly it would affect low-skill jobs held by young people. Others will say that the increased demand due to the extra money circulating will tend to offset the job losses because other companies will need to hire more workers to satisfy it. Then there’s all kinds of research/data that breaks down, and attempts to place a value on, the type of workers being affected by a wage increase. For instance, does a family of 4 making minimum wage deserve greater consideration than a high school kid flipping burgers part-time after school? In other words, which is more important? Providing a living wage (above poverty level) to the family of 4 by increasing the minimum wage, or making sure the kid keeps his part-time job after school at slave rates? And then there are thousands of other studies breaking things down even further.

The experts can argue the finer points ad nauseum, but to my knowledge raising the minimum wage has never caused any great harm to the economy, while it has improved the standard of living for many. So, my gut feeling is in line with the majority of Americans who think there should be a minimum wage increase. Of the other developed countries in the world, who also each have a minimum wage, the US ranked down near the bottom of the list for minimum/median wage in 2012. Our standard of living in the US was once amongst the best in the world, but not anymore.

While many of our “leaders” will preach the evils of a minimum wage, I truly believe they are simply reading the script provided by their corporate masters, rather than laboring for the good of the nation. Our “leaders” are bought and paid for while the rest of us fight for the scraps. To me that’s flat unAmerican. Personally, I think 2/3 of the Congress/Senate should be lead from the Capitol in cuffs.

It really bugs me to think that in 2014 people are still working at 1970’s wages. Eventually something’s got to give; this trend is not sustainable. Unless there’s some significant redistribution of wealth/resources, at some point our economy, and society, will surely collapse.

We need to get big money out of politics and take our country back, if it’s not already too late...

edit on 6/4/2014 by netbound because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 12:25 AM
a reply to: HanzHenry

I recall it quite differently. Reagan, against the law of the land, broke the air traffic controlers strike and everything when down hill from there.

Strikes won't work if the laws against strike breaking are ignored.

Immigrants are often very eager to see unions and the opportunities that come with it. They are not the cause of the the decline of Union Power in the US regardless of rightist propaganda to the contrary.

edit on 5-6-2014 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 01:12 AM
Things have gotten pretty bad for the American worker. My cousin works at Family Dollar. He graduated high school and is a smart kid but he has no way of furthering his education. Can't go to school when your fighting for survival just to make ends meet.

I drive him to and from work. Every night at the end of his shift they search him before he leaves the store. They want to make sure he's not stealing. He gets no breaks even if he works 10 hours.

There is something flawed with this country. This is the kind of stuff that went on back before there were unions and it's only going to get worse.

There is no way in hell I would put up with that. I've worked for companies with equipment that costs thousands of dollars and I could have walked away with it. I never got searched before I left. That is total horsesh*t searching your employees to make sure they're not stealing a can of soda. What a joke.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 01:16 PM

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 03:24 PM
Yep... Agenda 21 is properly almost completed.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 04:32 PM
I dont hear anything about the term 'workers rights' in the term 'free market'

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 06:24 PM
A minimum wage increase will destroy the savings of the lower middle class.

Those in poverty will still live check by check when inflation reaches their expenses and those with owners equity in corporation and with massive reserves of cash will be spared again to keep the crown.

Simple thought to figure out how our nation is REALLY run, but I suppose thought is too much to ask for...

There is NO SUCH THING a minimum "living wage" and will never be as long as our society works as a game of who's stepping on who in our beloved system we all protect, the "livable" wage will ALWAYS be higher than the minimum. Whether by systemic discrimination on the masses, increased taxes and fees and/or inflation. Their goal is to keep people working forever.

Economy doesn't work without threat to life as an alternative to participation, our kings will make sure of that.
edit on 2014 by BlubberyConspiracy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 08:54 PM
a reply to: BlubberyConspiracy

Very true.

And what happens to the next tier of workers who make just above minimum wage? They become the new minimum wage class joined by the former minimum wage class that just got their raises. In effect this expands the minimum wage class and with inflation it creates a much larger segment of the bottom earners.

Pretty soon everyone will be making $75 an hour but gas and milk would also cost $75 a gallon. Everyone will be equally miserable while the elitist would accomplish lowering the effective wages of teachers, nurses, firefighters, and other respectable middle class positions under the guise of raising up the wages of the lowly walmart worker.

top topics

<<   2 >>