It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal regs for auto dealers costing US economy more than $10B, study says

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Federal regulations for auto dealers are costing America's economy more than $10 billion in lost sales and employment each year, according to a new study conducted by the Center for Automotive Research provided to Fox News.

The study finds that the nation's dealers are being hit with more than $3 billion in regulatory costs each year - with the average dealership incurring about $182,754 in annual regulatory costs, representing roughly one-fifth of the average dealership's net profits.

I realize in the world of the US Government 10 billion dollars is peanuts, but this is 10 billion more that gets passed on to us as consumers. If you look at the cost of vehicle ownership plus new healthcare/energy regulations the middle class is getting killed by this Government. It is a huge waste of dollars that simply doesn't need to exist. I find this as just another example of Government regulation destroying average Americans without having even a small effect on the rich.

Source

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

the ford dealer I take my lincoln to has a busy repair side. But the sales side is a ghost town. I have spent a few hours there on separate occasions thru the months and didnt see even ONE customer. I recall ten years ago there was a gang of sales people, always 5-6 customers, and test drives happening constantly. That is how I recall things from the 90s'-2007.

if we could see the raw data on car sales from year to year in total volume.

BUT, a new F350 crew diesel 4x4 Lariat was $38k in 1999. Now $65k!, wont go for 500,000 miles, gets WORSE mpg, has to have the CAB REMOVED for many repairs, etc.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: HanzHenry

New trucks are junk compared to some of the older models.

Cars in my opinion on other hand have become more efficient in recent years.

Trucks have really degraded though. The costs have skyrocketed as well.

What I wish we'd see more of is diesel cars.

I'm probably about to buy a used police interceptor. I don't see myself ever buying a new vehicle again.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 10:08 PM
link   

If you look at the cost of vehicle ownership plus new healthcare/energy regulations the middle class is getting killed by this Government

Well, what can we say? I've come to the conclusion that the goal of the US government (both party's) is the total destruction of all but the 1%. They need serfs and they are dead set on destroying everything that once made America great.

If you think it's is bad now just wait until Obama's EPA/carbonnazi regime takes effect. Any last pennies you had will be sucked up by ballooning electricity costs. Face it, the US gov want's the middle class dead and gone.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: OrphanApology

they realized that from 1995-2003(Ford & Powerstroke) and 1989-2006 (Dodge and Cummins) the trucks were TOO good. They got 23-25 mpg hwy (same as crappy car -camry, accord, etc), last between 500k-1 million miles engine service life, required NO expensive repairs, are 10 times safer in a wreck as the crappy cars, that people wouldn't have to buy a new one every 5 years like before. The darn trucks STILL command a premium on the used market. example- a 1999 ford diesel still gets between 12-20k with 100-200k miles. what 10-15 yr old car retains half or more of its resale value?

Most Cars were complete garbage from the mid 90 until-a few years ago- would need a new trans usually at 100-150k mi, new motors at less the 200k miles, interiors falling apart, etc.

the diesels last too long, get too good of mpg (less govt fuel tax revenue), .....

ever wonder how darn near EVERY class, size, model, gets the SAME mpg is 20 years ago? and MANY of the VW diesels get WORSE mpg than 20 year old ones?

edit on 3-6-2014 by HanzHenry because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 03:09 AM
link   
I think the idea of right to travel will be challenged soon in the U.S.
The overall cost of being able to drive (insurance, maintenance, gas) coupled with the increase of TSA and other Highway Police giving bogus tickets to fill quotas has shrunk the population of those who would drive and ride versus take other means of transit. There are some cities and areas that if you don't have a car you can't get around, but gas is 4-5 bucks a gallon! After you run gas in the car, pay insurance, and hope not have any tickets, you are broke.
Old cars are going to be outlawed as soon as they can force those black box recorders on the road. Cash for clunkers was a good bull run to get a lot of cars off the road.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Wait until the global warming alarmists hear about that much money being spent on regulations. They will come up with a thousand more regulations to make it 100 billion theY can later appropriate for "research" just because the things burn gas.
edit on 6 4 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 03:33 AM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

the EPA has already almost killed the diesel truck market. The urea fluid is required, which is buying another thing in order to operate. The Diesel Particulate Filter causes premature engine and turbo failure and takes an engine that can get mid 20s mpg and sacks it down to mid teens. Then there is the EGR exhaust gas recirculation system. It pumps spent gases into engine, killing it basically and requiring much more frequent oil changes. (more used wasted oil). oh, there is also 'regen mode' where ever few hundred miles the engine runs at reduced power and mpg and dumps MORE fuel into the system to clean the exhaust/DPF system. MANY people have had ruined turbos and ruined engines from all the emissions crap.

AND many people run DPF and EGR deletes so their truck can get decent mpg and engine life. If caught by an overzealous govt official, you get a $10,000 fine for removing the items, and possibly truck impounded.

the newer trucks are no good used because of all this emissions garbage, they dont go much over 200k without needing $$$$ spent on repairs. Many truck drivers are switching back to gas trucks, which is a waste because the engines are crap for longevity and get MUCH worse mpg under load/towing

the EPA and the Ford 6.0 debacle almost bankrupted them. The older engine was the bees knees but 'polluted too much', lasts forever and requires almost no maint other than oil changes. has been used extensively commercially.

edit on 4-6-2014 by HanzHenry because: (no reason given)

top topics

join