It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baker Forced to make gay wedding cakes, undergo sensitivity training, after losing lawsuit

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: BasementWarriorKryptonite

But here again, we are not all equal. Yes we are born equal and as humans with the right to live we are equal in that sense to an extent but we are not all equals nor should we be. I worked very hard and went through a lot of schooling and started at the bottom and worked my way up very well and I will not accept being treated professionally the same as a burger flipper at McNasties. This is supposed to be a free nation yet people like you do not want it to be. In a free nation the government does not dictate what you can think, who you can provide services to or anything else for that matter. The government insists that I must by law wear a seatbelt in my own personal vehicle. Whose rights does it violate by me not wearing a seatbelt ? UNCF provides college scholarship funds to BLACK students. The United Way division in Memphis TN says their funding in Memphis are reserved for minorities only. The NAACP is self explanatory. I have no problem at all with these organizations or their policies but I'm wondering why people like you never question them as well.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Next they'll be suing prostitutes who won't service black men
Why aren't private homeowners not allowed to say they don't wanna rent to blacks/hispanics/gays/ etc. How is it right to make me rent my house indiscriminately but I can be a baker and not provide a gay with services?

This isn't an argument for the judge, just saying if they allow other businesses to get away with discrimination then they have to repeal fair housing / equal opportunity laws. Cause fair is fair.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Christian Voice

But the government can, should and does dictate that if you own a business is is for the public - not just some. WHen you get conservatives like me riled up what is that saying about how far beyond conservative you're being?

We all have a right to behave in a despicable manner such as the baker did, but how much of this will occur before we go back to the old days of segregation?

Separate, but equal. Dogs apparently more equal.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: ldyserenity
Why aren't private homeowners not allowed to say they don't wanna rent to blacks/hispanics/gays/ etc. How is it right to make me rent my house indiscriminately but I can be a baker and not provide a gay with services?

This isn't an argument for the judge, just saying if they allow other businesses to get away with discrimination then they have to repeal fair housing / equal opportunity laws. Cause fair is fair.

yeah well what if the prostitute doesn't want to service a same sex person? what a mess! i'm a gay progressive (not really but we all gotta become gay progressives to get our rights back)

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: undo

I'm with you, I'm saying if they let one business get away with it, then people will say "I want to choose not to rent to name group, because it's only fair" which is why I see why the judge made the ruling he made. It would send us back to pre-equality law times. Not a good time for certain groups. You know?

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: ldyserenity

considering this entire generation and the one before it and after it, are in the majority not prejudice and would not have a problem renting/selling to/buying from people of various racial backgrounds, the fact the demos are still beating the racism/prejudice drum aimed at certain sectors of society is because they are hoping you don't notice who their prejudice is directed at

if anyone thinks an org as racist as the democrats are, actually care about gays or blacks, you got another thing coming. they are setting us all up and gonna use minority groups as their cannon fodder/private army. that's why we all need to become gay progressives, cause they won't have anyone to blame anymore without revealing their real intentions.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 08:54 AM
link   

It's already segregated. LGBT have their own communities. Here in San Diego we have Hillcrest/Normal Heights. My girlfriend and I once met some friends (who happened to be gay) at a popular bar, and were subsequently called "breeders" and told to go to the beach. While they didn't refuse service, we were treated very poorly, and taunted by the patrons. Even our friends were appalled. Yet, we didn't cry to the ACLU and demand they go to sensitivity training. We just didn't go back.

edit on 5-6-2014 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Degradation33

I was once called that very same thing. The two lesbians were young and had no idea I was gay. I let them because I thought it was hilarious. Kids are learning how to be themselves and gay kids are learning that plus more.

It's not that I don't get what you're saying, but if you put it into context - especially historical context - there's a reason those places exist.

There's a difference between segregation and a safe haven. By the way, I bet none of the businesses in the areas you mentioned behave the way the dog wedding cake baker did.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Wow you really are focused on the dog thing and you really are not taking the stance of a conservative either. You come across as a staunch liberal. We can just disagree on this one my friend. Nice debating with you.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   

You went through all that but didn't bother to learn the laws that affect you? That's the main issue here, people not understanding the law. Just how many separate markets are we supposed to have? A gay market, a straight market, a French market, a Mexican market, and what's to come of needing 5 different grocery stores in the same block? Public accommodation laws exist to prevent this and it really is just common sense.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 09:05 AM
link   

well all joking aside, here's a virtual hug. it's not because i'm pretending to be a gay progressive. i actually empathize with your situation and think the baker was over stating his case. just like i think your position against people who over state their case, is over stating yours.

le mew le sigh le dang it all. i hate governments that must micromanage our lives once we've complied as a general rule, why not just leave well enough alone?? they can't! they must tell you when to fart as well. and what color it should be.

frustrated.
edit on 5-6-2014 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 09:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: yeahright

Discrimination is discrimination is discrimination. The point is, there are laws that business owners who sell to the general public have to abide by, and one of those laws says you cannot refuse to sell a product or service to one group of people that you would sell to all other groups of people, based on race, gender, religion, and (in Colorado) sexual orientation. Those public accommodation laws have been on the books for a long time now, and it's turned out okay. This will turn out okay as well.

Not only that, but when a business owner takes up and registers a business... He/She is agreeing as part of the requirements of owning a business, to adhere to the all of the underlining legislation within the business agreement and serve anyone whom wishes to buy their products or use their services.

Technically, the baker has broken that agreement in the business licence and should have had said license revoked.
edit on 5-6-2014 by Ironclad2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74
This has nothing to do with laws at all and I think that is where the confusion is coming from. It is about government control. The government is telling us that religious views are no longer relevant nor are they welcome. Freedom of religion was set about to prevent the government from establishing a national religion. I would say that by trying to silence any religion it is overstepping it's bounds and violating the constitution. People piss and moan about the separation of Church and state and at the same time insist that the government impose laws removing religious rights.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Ironclad2000

oh that'd go over well, particularly if you wanted to start a revolution.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 09:11 AM
link   

I only appear liberal to people that think it's OK to marry dogs but not people.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: BasementWarriorKryptonite

I only appear liberal to people that think it's OK to marry dogs but not people.

hahaha! lol
sorry, too busy enjoying the irony of that to type anymore.
rofl!

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   
This story is little more than a distraction.

I fail to see how making a cake for a gay couple is on par with accepting/promoting homosexuality. Then again, even though the baker was being ridiculous, it's his right to be that way. The couple simply should have taken their business somewhere else and deprived the owner in question of a sale.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: undo

oh that'd go over well, particularly if you wanted to start a revolution.

That's would probably be a good thing...

With any luck all the bigots would be wiped out and the world would be a blissful place.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 09:15 AM
link   

What agreement ? I have a business license and a company and an attorney to handle any legal snafus that come up and it says nowhere in my business license or the application for it that I cannot refuse service to anyone.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Seriously, still focusing on the dog thing ? You are intelligent enough to debate me on here but not intelligent enough to realize that a dog wedding is a joke for show ?

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join