It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baker Forced to make gay wedding cakes, undergo sensitivity training, after losing lawsuit

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: macman
So, a wedding cake for 2 skinheads would be forced upon a Jewish baker?

Oh, my GOD! How many times does it have to be explained to you???

If a Jewish baker makes wedding cakes, then he'd have to make one for 2 skinheads, providing it didn't require the baker to make something he didn't sell to the general public. Do you understand?

The rest of your post has also been answered.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

The baker broke the law and is paying the price. That is a real situation in a real place with real people.

With the State employing the same tactics used by Nazi Germany to "make people right".

What a lovely place. I really like your excuses you make to yourself, so you feel okay with this.

I would love to see your reaction if this situation was reversed, and a Gay Baker was forced to be re-educated to the straight lifestyle.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: macman

Another empty content post that addresses no issue, quotes nothing I stated, and makes no point.

Here ... I'll it out for your general consumption.

Jewish Baker (Damaged by the symbol of Nazism.)

Black Baker (Damaged by the symbol of racist murder and violence)

Christian Baker (...)

There's no comparison. It's absurd to do so, and morally reprehensible to equate the Swastika, the Burning Cross, and Two Grooms on top of a cake.

Does that clear it up for you?

link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

How many gays have been taken from their homelands against their will and forced to work as slaves?

Nobody can compare the two.

link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Well, at least you stay consistent with your progressive view of rights and freedoms, or lack thereof.

I will give you that much.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   

I would love to see your reaction if this situation was reversed, and a Gay Baker was forced to be re-educated to the straight lifestyle.

I know you said this to someone else, but I would support it exactly the same as I do this case. If a gay baker made wedding cakes for his gay customers only and refused to make a wedding cake for a straight couple, I would say he broke the law and should pay, just like anyone else who breaks the law.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Another empty content post that addresses no issue, quotes nothing I stated, and makes no point.

Here ... I'll it out for your general consumption.

Jewish Baker (Damaged by the symbol of Nazism.)

Black Baker (Damaged by the symbol of racist murder and violence)

Christian Baker (...)

There's no comparison. It's absurd to do so, and morally reprehensible to equate the Swastika, the Burning Cross, and Two Grooms on top of a cake.

Does that clear it up for you?

So, how does the Gay couple fit into the "Damaged" arena then???

Didn't Christians get fed to Lions somewhere???

Oh, haven't some Christian Based Faiths been hunted down, chased and attacked as well??

The Victim card can be played both ways.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   

And again, at least you are consistent with this viewpoint. I commend you on that much.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Of course I'm not saying gays have never been treated differently. Hell, I've taken some pretty serious hate over my Wiccan Faith. I've never thought to sue anyone over it or demand (though by law I could) that I have precisely equal respect and standing in even passing daily business from those who strongly take exception to my Faith.

What I AM saying is that the struggle of civil rights to the black population as well as the minorities of lesser numbers changed a nation and it defines an entire era of human history from the dark early days of the triangle trade, to the fire hoses blowing black boys down Alabama streets and the stuff of well known photographs in the mid 20th century.

Being treated different by law and under law is one thing. That's wrong. I have no problem with gay rights and I've personally advocated for Civil Unions...then later, changed my opinion to Marriage outright, as I came to learn a bit more about the real history of the "covenant of marriage" in and out of the Church. I am no enemy to gay rights.

I am a very strong opponent to piggy backing one movement onto the tail of another. Especially when one has no earthly comparison to the losses, suffering and depravity of the other. In fact, it's a very fair statement to make that one grew FROM the other, not holding anything like equality to it. Civil Rights created the atmosphere where the Gay community could, as a 3-6% part of the total population, gain the recognition and rights they have. Properly, in my opinion.

It's overlapping one with the other which offends..and it offends on a deep level, actually. A number of reasons on that.

edit on 6/4/2014 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   

The baker broke the law and is paying the price. That is a real situation in a real place with real people.

With the State employing the same tactics used by Nazi Germany to "make people right".

What a lovely place. I really like your excuses you make to yourself, so you feel okay with this.

Are you even reading what your'e writing in your slavering desire to equate ludicrous examples?

Are you really comparing "sensitivity training" (*) to the Jewish Holocaust???

Is the baker being forced to have sex with other men? i.e. being converted to homosexuality???

Simple yes or no answers will do.

~~~~~~~~
(*) Of note, I personally find the assignment of "sensitivity training" to be foolish, but that is not the issue being argued here.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   

When it gets this absurdly ridiculous, I gotta take my leave.

Happy Nazi Burning Cross day!

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   

I wonder if you missed my post? www.abovetopsecret.com...

I am curious as to your response to that.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

How many gays have been taken from their homelands against their will and forced to work as slaves?

Nobody can compare the two.

You round up a hundred people and claim none of them are gay?

I don't doubt for a second there were slaves that were gay.

Gays had to live on the fringes of society in secret, while faking a straight life in order to survive.

Equality and Civil Rights are the same. To what degree is different, but it is the same.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wrabbit2000

(snip)
I am a very strong opponent to piggy backing one movement onto the tail of another. Especially when one has no earthly comparison to the losses, suffering and depravity of the other. In fact, it's a very fair statement to make that one grew FROM the other, not holding anything like equality to it. Civil Rights created the atmosphere where the Gay community could, as a 3-6% part of the total population, gain the recognition and rights they have. Properly, in my opinion.

It's overlapping one with the other which offends..and it offends on a deep level, actually. A number of reasons on that.

(snip)

Fair enough and thank you very much for clarifying what I read in your previous post. I was really taken aback personally for a moment, because what I read did not jive with your position or history.

I guess this deserves a different thread of discussion, actually, as the historical movements for civil rights on the part of any minority population contain many more facts and implications than can be brought to bear here without being off-topic ... Wrabbit, since you feel so strongly about the issue, I'd love to see your full thoughts on the matter and offer mine outside the context of this discussion.

For reference though, a sad list to start with in the discussion is found here: History of Violence Against LGBT People in the United States

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Oy vey, girl .. *snaps in a circle* ... I hear you.

ADDED IN EDIT: I'm sorry to see you leave the discussion, Heretic, but I understand completely. I'll probably back out for a while too, in the interest of calming down and being rational. Best.
edit on 17Wed, 04 Jun 2014 17:03:13 -050014p052014666 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Well, that may be something I take you up on, on a different thread of course. I don't take your reply to mean we agree on how this fits or doesn't with the way a lowly Colorado bakery and a cake order has come to rally both 'sides' of a cultural contest and movement....but I do appreciate how we can always seem to disagree with respect.

Truth be known, I can't say if I'd have been on the community side to protest the baker or on his side to counter-protest if I lived in that neighborhood when this was first starting, not on the end of it now. I mean the feelings are that mixed about a man's right to run his private business how he sees fit vs. the right of others not to be actively offended by another person's policies (or ignorance).

I can say this though, and perhaps to further clarify where I come from on this? Whichever side of the protest I'd have chosen after learning more on personal levels ahead of time? A protest and community pressure route is all that should have been appropriate here. Government? State or Federal...just doesn't have a place in who a man decorates a cake in a specific way for.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Here is the million dollar question.

Where in the bible does it state that you shouldn't do business with gay members of the community?

Pray tell me?

What I find disturbing is that people such as yourself, continue to use your religion as an excuse to marginalize somebody that you don't understand. Because that is all it is, is an excuse.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   

People who wantonly uses Nazi Germany because someone does something they don't like is not only highly offensive, it shows extreme ignorance of a historical period, not to mention, it is just plain played out. At the very least, it makes you look like a drama queen.

If you want to see a police state and political control, you should read up on North Korea.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
It's a tough one. Government shouldn't force him, but then he's totally wrong and living in the wrong century back when people really thought homosexuality was wrong. Slowly but surely we're evolving. I just really don't want the government enforcing and guiding our cultural/social evolution.

Nice dig. And it was amazing. More than a subtle evolution..
the government is having more say all the time on individual
morality, and what is legally allowed by individual expression.
"You want a free Manifesto with that brace of eclairs?"
"Wrap 'em with it... chocolate butter-cream trumps ink."
If we're lucky also sufficiently obfuscate it into history's dustbin.

Steering documents from regimes still active-- and indeed
a couple not even cold in the grave compared to recorded
history, have been really good at slowly turning themselves
into God... just another alphabet agency abbreviation for
"Grab Our Dough".
News flash, everyone:
Washington ain't Mecca, and it never was. Get a grip off it.

Washington In the long run, there hasn't been one of man's
laws written yet that have solved a problem... just
punish the person or group causing the problem. I personally
don't see a problem unless there's been an injury. And no,
feelings don't count under Criminal Revised Statutes, I don't
care what state.
But a civil suit over NOT constructing a wedding cake for
even Dick and Liz their second time around would have got
laughed out of even San Francisco thirty years ago. WTF???

My take on it, if it's a bad law you know what to do.
Keep on legislating from the bench, it's a real toboggan run.
"emotional injury as a cottage industry..." there's a really
good reason that guy's a Super Mod. You've got to love it.
In fact not loving it is a Class D misdemeanor under Title 18.
Just kidding, but just the same monitor what your kids are
bringing home from school... those commies are everywhere.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   
The cake is a lie.

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join