It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baker Forced to make gay wedding cakes, undergo sensitivity training, after losing lawsuit

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

It caused emotional distress, ie pain to their being, enough of which that they took the man to court over it. I think more than just the baker need sensitivity training in the U.S.
edit on 4-6-2014 by mclarenmp4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I have a hankering for a halal cake with a picture of cartoon Muhammad on it.

Anybody know a good Muslim baker and cake decorator?

Let's see how far this goes.

Maybe a NRA themed gun cake from a vegan pacifist bakery coop in San Francisco.

Or maybe...
edit on 4-6-2014 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Deny Arrogance

Obviously comparable to the cake the gay couple asked for, which i heard was in the shape of a rainbow coloured putt-blug and had a model of Jesus in drag on top of it committing sodomy with the pope.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   

It's funny you should say that. I was looking at an article the other day on a gay website about the South Park episode where they call Harley riders F@6s, and was reading through some of the comments. I was shocked and disgusted reading them. I saw a good 100 different comments saying the same general thing calling for a serious "het" beating. I guess that is what they call anyone not gay these days. They were actually wanting to go to LA to have a "het beatdown" on Trey and Matt the creators of South Park.

For one, South park makes fun of EVERYBODY. They don't care and aren't scared of any backlash, and refuse to apologize when the MSM calls for it. I am sorry but the new "f" word was never directed towards gay people. I find it offensive that they are trying to take that word away from the rest of the world.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: mclarenmp4
a reply to: Metallicus

But it's not against his religious beliefs because if he is a christian he should treat every person with same amount of compassion as Jesus did and instead of rejecting a fellow human for their actions, he should do the christian thing and compassionately pray for the transgressions of their souls. He showed a distinct lack of Christianity in his dealings with the same sex couple.

Any person that shows bigotry in Jesus's name will be judged in the afterlife but I will pray for their souls and hope they can see the light in their dealings with their fellow man.

If it is not to personal I would like to ask you:
1 What kind of Christian Church are you apart of if you go to church?
2 Is your way of thinking what is preached at the church you are apart of?
3 Is this thinking from your point of view a majority or minority in your congregation?
4 Do the church teach that a symbiotic homosexual marriage is a sin among other sins?

I do see Jesus teachings in your post.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Because we have to make a stand against hate for whatever bull# reasons people can come up with, if we don't we're are never going to move forward as a species.
What someone does in their own free time is not for anyone to judge apart from our creator. If the situation wasn't a gay couple but a black couple and they were refused, would you use the same excuse that they could just go to another baker?

Bigotry is bigotry whichever way you want to shape it. And I will always fight for the rights of the minorities, my avatar should tell you that.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Euphem

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Then why is he in business?

Money is money.

We've had laws on the books since the 60's that say if you're a business you don't deny service to anyone based upon X criteria. This is nothing new.

I've had former KKK members come into my store and I didn't deny them service. I helped them just like anyone else because you can't discriminate based on your beliefs.

Why can't people just agree to disagree and be nice to each other. Isn't that more important?

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: mclarenmp4

The owner does not hate gays he just doesn't believe in gay marriage.

I thought your avatar was telling me that your a grown man wearing underroos.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: skalla

Just to be clear, this is the cake they eventually had made:

No different than the baker would make for any other couple. Nothing vulgar, no "two grooms", nothing special. Just a cake.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: mclarenmp4
I think more than just the baker need sensitivity training in the U.S.

Or, on the other hand, people could stop being such whiny babies when they don't get their way.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   
This is plainly totalitarianism! And it makes poor business sense, because the government is causing the bakers to hide their true attitude. Better that they tell people upfront that they don't support gay marriage. If you're gay, why would you want to give your money to a company that doesn't really want your business? Would you expect them to do a great job on your cake? I mean, are gay couples now going to flock to this bakery because they know they're only serving them because they're forced to? Better for gays to know that bakery isn't cool with their wedding, let's take our business elsewhere. Let the market decide. No one ever died because they couldn't get a certain wedding cake. We are losing our freedoms day by day. Sickening.
a reply to: andr3w68

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: LittleByLittle

To prevent thread drift I will send you a private message answering your questions and no I don't mind answering them.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

Or people could stop being insensitive, either way here's a pic for you.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   
dup post.
edit on 4-6-2014 by mclarenmp4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   
If the couple specifically asked for a "wedding" cake, then the baker was well within his rights to refuse as gay marriage is illegal in Colorado. It sounds like the judge is the one who needs intensive training on Colorado discrimination laws.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

I guess you got my point, but for those who did not i was pointing out the sheer incomparable daftness of the post i was responding to.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

I completely agree with you. My point was that if they were wanting him to make a cake that he was offended by that would be a valid reason to deny service. Denying them service only because they were gay is completely wrong.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: grey580

We've had laws on the books since the 60's that say if you're a business you don't deny service to anyone based upon X criteria. This is nothing new.

Yes, and the reasons why those laws were on the books was that whole communities, whole towns would refuse to sell products and services to people of a certain race. That goes beyond "free market", that's just shutting a whole group of people out of your community who you consider "undesirables". People who were law-abiding citizens who committed no crime other than to have been born in their skin. People who had a right to live and work in whatever community they chose, and to purchase goods and services in those communities, the same as everyone else.

The state of Colorado added sexual orientation to these laws to prevent what happened to blacks from happening to gays, plain and simple.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

What if a black baker refused to make a cake for a KKK rally? Should the state force him to do so?

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75
If the couple specifically asked for a "wedding" cake, then the baker was well within his rights to refuse as gay marriage is illegal in Colorado. It sounds like the judge is the one who needs intensive training on Colorado discrimination laws.

Gay wedding ceremonies are not illegal in Colorado. You can't get a marriage license, but you can have whatever ceremony you want. It is not illegal for a gay couple to buy a wedding cake.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join