It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baker Forced to make gay wedding cakes, undergo sensitivity training, after losing lawsuit

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   
So if gay weddings are illegal in Colorado, if you perform a ceremony or take photographs or provide any service in support of that illegal activity are you not aiding and abeiting the commission of a crime?

The standard answer for bakers all over Colorado should be "I cant bake you a cake for your wedding, I dont have any problem with your wedding but I might get arrested for aiding and abeiting an illegal act. I can bake you a cake I just can't put anything like a wedding cake on it. Maybe I can put Happy life journey, or Best wishes going forward on it, I just dont want to get arrested."

Or maybe the government should just stya out of it and let people solve the problems for themselves. Like eating and shopping in places that they are appreciated.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I'm not going to yet again get involved in a 40-page discussion about this case. But the facts are:

1. The baker broke a Colorado STATE law that every other business must adhere to. To allow him to break the law wouldn't be fair to other businesses that obey the law. He does not have "special rights" to break the law because he's religious. He still has to follow the law.

2. If the people of the state want to change the law, they can do that. I thought most of you supported states' rights, or is that only when it's a law you like?

3. The baker does not have to make cakes for gay weddings. In fact, he has said that he no longer makes wedding cakes, which is a perfectly reasonable solution. Problem solved.

Have a great day!

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

That does boil it down. In his state, regardless of what we think, want or wish for ..he did break the law. The court found that and if we are going to take court decisions we like, we must accept those we don't as well. Such as it is...he lost. So be it.

True as well, he did say 'screw it' to a degree and left the business where it pertains to this specific thing, completely.

In the end, you're right, in this specific case and beyond the 'fight for the rights of millions' or whatever people make every case into these days ... It is simple and it is simply, over.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   
You know maybe they wanted him to depict buggery or something on the cake, wedding cakes have designs. Use your imagination. Can you refuse to make a cake you wouldn't want other customers to see? There's that tradition where you smash cake in each others face, maybe they had something special planned.....

If you want to get rid of a customer, NEVER cite religious reasons. Tell them you're too busy, raise your prices or whatever.
He should add the court costs & sensitivity training to the price of the cake. Because that's what it cost to make the cake.

If it was me, I would GO OUT OF BUSINESS before some court compelled me to work for someone.

However, this is all probably moot because the guy will probably have to double his sensitive workforce to deal with all those ordering "offensive" cakes to test his sensitivity, and those on the other side trying to support him. Just open 2 locations, one for gay cakes and one for straight cakes. And make sure to post pics on cakewrecks.com. How could he go wrong? He probably doesn't care, just a smart businessman raking it in from an excellent publicity stunt.

And I for one think they should legalize civil unions or whatever nationwide, just so we don't have to hear about it anymore. If we give them the rights they want, they don't need a parade anymore - right?

BTW my brother is gay, and he says they mostly don't care if they can get married or not. It's DIVORCE LAWYERS pushing the gay marriage agenda. Which I can certainly believe is the reason behind all of this.

I think I covered just about every side of this.....

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Guess all he needs to do is make crappy cakes for gay couples and they'll stop going to him for cakes. Pretty simple solution if he is against making cakes for them. That said, I have no issues with gays of either sex, but I do have issues with forcing people to do things against their moral judgements. I believe that will just further entrench a mindset. It's human nature.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: brandiwine14
a reply to: BasementWarriorKryptonite

Sensitivity Training "Reprogramming" is just the beginning. We are being pushed into a place even you don't want to go. Do you not understand what the government is doing is wrong? They are trying to reprogram our thoughts. How in the world can anyone think this is okay. You need to remember that once one side is controlled they will go for the other. We are well on our way to being thought controlled, you okay the practice now but you might change your mind soon enough when you lose your rights....and you will if this continues and if people like you continue to laugh it off.

I remember when I worked for a large corporation that had sensitivity training regarding sexual harassment in the workplace. They had videos of reenactments where a man would sexually harass a woman, and there would be a voice-over of the woman's thoughts. Thoughts about how humiliated and embarrassed she was, how it made her feel like a piece of meat, and how the comments hurt her self esteem. Sometimes, in the video the situation was reversed, and it was a woman harassing a male. The point of the video was to see the effects of sexual harassment on people. There were no lies in the videos - nothing that wasn't true or accurate. It wasn't thought control - just putting you in the other person's shoes for a moment. I'll bet the sensitivity training regarding treatment of gays is very similar. I fail to see how horrible it is to see how your actions affect another.

they stopped burning people at the stake in the US when they realized how freaking wrong it was after the Salem Witch Trials. People makes mistakes throughout history but why is it that only the Christian mistakes are the ones being brought up? You do realize that Muslims, Jews, Pagans, Atheists, well pretty much every religion has at one point in time been intolerable of others? Even to the point of murder, and some really brutal ones at that?

I personally would feel the exact same way if a Muslim baker refused to sell the exact same cake to a gay couple that they would sell to a straight couple. What's your point here?

So ironic for you and most of the people in this board to show such "hate and intolerance" to these bakers because they show "intolerance". Because you know, two wrongs always makes a right....right?

This argument really annoys me. We have to show tolerance for the intolerant? Maybe we should be more tolerant of murderers. Maybe we shouldn't be incarcerating them for their intolerance of someone else's life. What the ...??? We have rules in our society for a reason. Break the rules, pay the price. The rule in Colorado is, if you sell your goods to the general public, then you have to sell those same goods to everyone in the general public, regardless of their race, gender, religion or sexual orientation. The law was put into place to prevent large communities from shutting certain groups of people out and preventing their access to public accommodations.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Actually, fraternizing with women at all back in those times was considered a sin unless you were related to or married to them. Women were the root of all evil in their minds back then. So I'd have to disagree when you say it's not the same situation.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   

I would GO OUT OF BUSINESS before some court compelled me to work for someone.

i never considered it that way. it is compelling you to work for others, of all races, sexual preferences and so on, which on its face is the equivalent to public service, even if you aren't a public servant as an owner of a private business. how interesting

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dragoon01
So if gay weddings are illegal in Colorado, if you perform a ceremony or take photographs or provide any service in support of that illegal activity are you not aiding and abeiting the commission of a crime?

The standard answer for bakers all over Colorado should be "I cant bake you a cake for your wedding, I dont have any problem with your wedding but I might get arrested for aiding and abeiting an illegal act. I can bake you a cake I just can't put anything like a wedding cake on it. Maybe I can put Happy life journey, or Best wishes going forward on it, I just dont want to get arrested."

Or maybe the government should just stya out of it and let people solve the problems for themselves. Like eating and shopping in places that they are appreciated.

Except that there is no law against gays having a marriage ceremony. You just can't get a marriage license from the state of Colorado. Lots of gay couples have wedding ceremonies in Colorado without the license. No crime there.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Didn't the Nazis have reeducation camps?

What a wonderful place this Colorado has become. Can't wait till those that flee it, like CA, come to neighboring states and bring their Progressive crap with them.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   

But it's not against his religious beliefs because if he is a christian he should treat every person with same amount of compassion as Jesus did and instead of rejecting a fellow human for their actions, he should do the christian thing and compassionately pray for the transgressions of their souls. He showed a distinct lack of Christianity in his dealings with the same sex couple.

Any person that shows bigotry in Jesus's name will be judged in the afterlife but I will pray for their souls and hope they can see the light in their dealings with their fellow man.
edit on 4-6-2014 by mclarenmp4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: mclarenmp4

How? He was polite to them and explained why he could not.

To him marriage is a sacred vow between man and woman.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Waaaaaahhhhhh... I no longer have the liberty to deny liberty to others.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   
It is a complex issue. But did the baker say get out of here because your gay or did he say i don't want to participate in your wedding because its against what i believe in. I would think if anyone came into the bakery and asked for some bread or cookies the baker would most likely sell to them. I'm just wondering at what point does it stop. Can you make a priest marry you if its against his beliefs or with the churches and hobby lobby having to provide contraceptives?

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Like many state laws, this one is just another one of many that was thought up by some mentally deranged idiots who think that forcing People to do business with those who they do not wish to do business with, is going to change their beliefs.

This is about control, and this actually breeds more hate. Personally, I don't care what your sexual preference is, but don't try to shove your sensitivity training garbage down my throat.

Maybe the guy originally was afraid that he would be sued for something by doing business with them? That is the mentality that is created by some of these people. Trust me, I know them because I am friends with some of them.

I would have made the cakes for them no problem, cause I don't care, but I believe people should have the right to refuse service to ANYONE.

Nobody should be forced to serve ANYONE. It's called freedom of choice, right? Religion has nothing to do with it. Don't want that forced on anyone either.

Out here in occupied California, people have signs up that say just that all over the place, that they reserve the right to refuse service to anyone, So it must be a Colorado thing, kind of like legalizing dope so more kids can get hooked on it and ruin their lives.

~$heopleNation

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

He still caused pain to his fellow human through his actions and can you find the bible quote that states "Marriage" is between a man and a woman. With specifically the word Marriage?
You will find it does not, so he's using someone elses interpretation of the bible or the one bigoted enough to fit his warped beliefs.

Link

If you take this passage of the bible as the definition of marriage then gay people in isreal should rejoice because it only states that Marriage, in some parts of the Bible, is defined by nationality. In the books of Ezra and Nehemiah, marriage is exclusively limited to the union of two Israelites. All other marriages were null and void. (Ezra 9:12, Nehemiah 9:2).

So if I was a bigot I would say all marriages outwith Israel are null and void and you know there's some baker in israel refusing to bake cakes for marriages to non israelites right now don't we?

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   

The right to believe in what you wish doesn't also give you the right to discriminate against anyone else because of something you may or may not believe in.

What's so hard to understand about that?

If the bakery was run by the KKK and refused to service minorities then the issue would be clear. Your belief doesn't entitle you to discriminate.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: andr3w68

Your argument is very passive aggressive, and doesn't address the issue.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

I would say you are correct, but depending on what the subject matter of the cake being requested was, it could have been offensive to the baker.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: mclarenmp4

How in gods name did he cause them pain? How #ing hard is it to go to another bakery in town and ask them to make them a cake?

I'm starting to see that gay is the new bully.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join