It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian jet flies within 100 feet of cockpit with U.S. surveillance aircraft in ‘reckless’ inter

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Link

There is a war in the Ukraine no matter what Western Media says so this to me is not a good thing....

A Russian Su-27 jet flew dangerously close to a U.S. reconnaissance plane over the Pacific northeast recently in an aerial clash not seen since the Cold War.

An Air Force RC-135 electronic intelligence jet was flying a surveillance run some 60 miles off the Russian Far East coast, north of Japan, on April 23 when the incident occurred, according to defense officials familiar with the incident.

The Su-27 flew to follow the RC-135, and at one point rolled sideways to reveal its air-to-air missile before flying within 100 feet of the cockpit in an attempt to unnerve the crew.

The showdown was video-recorded by the aircrew.

Pentagon spokesman Col. Steven Warren said the Su-27 intercepted the RC-135U as it conducted a routine surveillance mission in international airspace over the Sea of Okhotsk during the afternoon of April 23.

“The Su-27 approached the RC-135U and crossed the nose of the U.S. aircraft within approximately 100 feet,” Warren told the Free Beacon in a brief statement. “Senior department leaders have communicated our concerns directly to the Russian military.”

What should we make of this?

+8 more 
posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   
There have been a whole list of smaller signals that our government pushed Russia as far as it will go. They've drawn the line in the sand. I have no warmer feelings for the Russian government than I do my own, but the aggressor in this case is obvious to anyone that doesn't have a myopic view of world events.

We are but puppets to powerful men playing games for control.

+16 more 
posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

I'm sure if a Russian electronic surveillance plane was flying 60 miles off the coast of New York the American response would be exactly the same. Except the Russians wouldn't be crying about it using their state controlled media like the U.S government does.
I'm sure this stuff happens all the time and we never hear about it, but because the U.S is trying to distort the reality of what is happening in the Ukraine and who started this whole mess, they will use it as another way to vilify Russia and Putin in their ongoing agenda for a one world government and right now Putin stands in their way.

So all I see is more U.S propaganda being pumped out to the masses to create fear that the old communist bogey man is coming back to kill us all.
But don't worry our corporate fascist new world order will protect you.

+13 more 
posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: mark1167

Russian planes fly off the coast of the US all the time. They even overfly US territories all the time. There are rules for intercepts that were agreed to by both countries, and were signed into a treaty many years ago. Those rules include "no hotdogging during the intercept" to prevent exactly what happened near China with the EP-3C several years ago. Pilots on both sides follow certain unspoken rules as well, because they well know that if the positions were reversed, it could easily end in them going into the water or worse, and they don't want to do that to other pilots, since there is no war going on.

But of course, this is just US propaganda. Because Russia would never do something like this, or push things in any way, so the US has to be using this as propaganda.
edit on 6/3/2014 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I wonder how many stars you are going to get from people who don't understand sarcasm?

Personally, I want to see the video! I wonder if the pilot of the su-27 flipped off the RC-135 crew while he was at it?

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: DeadSeraph

They're just lucky there wasn't another EP-3 incident. It would be a massive coup if they got their hands on an RC-135.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   

What should we make of this?

How about, Stay the # away from the Russian Coast.

You would be spewing flaming tar if a Russian reconnaissance Jet was flying anywhere near the US. International waters, or not both aircraft have a right to be there. Both Aircraft are an implied threat, and yes a reconnaissance aircraft is a threat. That aircraft is a key step into a larger scale attack, the interceptor is a defensive aircraft, protecting it's airspace, and home land.

The US is pushing Russia, pretty damn hard as of late.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Hijinx

Wow, you have no idea do you. Russian planes fly near the US on an almost daily basis sometimes. They have overflown Guam directly on several occasions, performed mock bombing runs on European areas... This is far form a US only situation. With the exception of about 10 years when they were rebuilding Soviet/Russian flights near the US and our allies was an almost daily occurrence, certainly weekly.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I know what to make of it but I know that there are some good 'aviation' posters in these forums and wanted to see if they thought it was aggressive or simply pushing buttons. There is a big difference.

Remember, the Russians are the ones who shot KAL007 out of the sky. There was actually a House Rep on the flight if I remember correctly. They also brought down another flight in the 70's killing two.

They do not screw around.

Should the US respond with a closer flight or would that simply be poking a bear that seems very much awake once again?

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: DeadSeraph

You're saying Zaphod doesn't understand ?

I can't think of a more qualified member to contribute to this thread.

Cody

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Sounds like Russian finally got Top Gun on VHS!

they were just Communicating. Keeping up foreign relations. You know, giving him the bird!

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: cody599

No, I'm pretty sure he was just talking about the bit of sarcasm at the end of Zaphods post about the Russians never doing anything like this. Regardless, let's not forget that neither party is innocent in this day and age. The Russians obviously were pushing buttons here, but the us way overstepped in the Ukraine. This whole thing is nonsense, they need to learn to grow up and stop acting like children.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Odd....considering that the incident occurred on April 23rd, I would think there would have been a response if there was going to be a response by now. Wonder why this is just coming out more than a month later?

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Because of the fact that an RC-135 was involved. The only aircraft that is more operationally secret right now is the U-2, which is never talked about at all.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hijinx

You would be spewing flaming tar if a Russian reconnaissance Jet was flying anywhere near the US. International waters, or not both aircraft have a right to be there.

Don't be naive. This happens all the time on both sides near the coast of any country you happen to name. Yet another America hater going to great lengths to show that Russian aberrant behavior must have been caused by the US, the Russians being such a peace-loving people and all.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I suppose we should be happy they aren't trying a more direct method,like the Chinese,wether by intent or lack of skill.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: andr3w68
a reply to: cody599

No, I'm pretty sure he was just talking about the bit of sarcasm at the end of Zaphods post about the Russians never doing anything like this. Regardless, let's not forget that neither party is innocent in this day and age. The Russians obviously were pushing buttons here, but the us way overstepped in the Ukraine. This whole thing is nonsense, they need to learn to grow up and stop acting like children.

My bad

My apologies, do we see another tech comp coming ? Using Israel and the Arabic nations as a test ground ?

Just a thought

Cody

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   
People are reading too much into the ill-disciplined and stupid fly-boy mentality of some fast jet pilots. Mid air collisions are no joke.

See the Hainan Island incident back in 2001 where a Chinese fast jet collided with a US aircraft.

en.wikipedia.org...

Regards

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   
That US plane is pretty big compared to the fighter....surely they have enough spare power to carry a couple of anti air missiles don't they?
I would think they could pod a couple under each wing.....goomby SU27

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Definitely an interesting story...

Tension between the U.S. and Russia is mounting; that much is very clear - but per this incident, all I can assume is that this was, quite like someone already stated - Russia drawing the line in the sand - as if to say, "Fly that reconnaissance jet any closer to our border, and we'll shoot it down". I believe that is rather clear too...

Some people are probably unclear as to why these tension are growing again; but it wouldn't take much research to see that political policy as it relates to that side of the world is entirely botched here in the United States.

All of this being said... I'm concerned - we're looking at a cold-war revival that never fully settled... Just like everything - the stock market, life, roller coasters - there's highs and lows; all we can do is pray that this relationship doesn't fall too low...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join