It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Faster Than Light Speed

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   
This may be a stupid question. I'm sure if it is it will be pointed out by some of the great minds that frequent this site. Based on what I've been told, the speed of light is an absolute speed. Nothing can move faster. Now, say I am driving my car a 50 mph and turn on the headlights. Are the beams from my lights not traveling at the speed of light + 50 mph?

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23
No.
or so they claim

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Don't think you can ever reach speed of light unless you are a massless photon itself.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   

don't forget to add into the equation the speed of the earths spin , and the velocity of the earth spinning around the sun, o and the velocity of the spiral arm we sit in that's turning around the centre of the galaxy

funBOx

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
When you consider the speed of light to be absolute, do not consider the light itself. The speed of sound is determined by the medium through which the sound wave travels. For example, the speed of sound is greater at sea level than it is a 30,000 feet because the medium (atmosphere) is more dense. In water, the speed of sound is greater still, because water is much more dense than atmosphere.

The speed of light is what it is because of the medium through which the light wave travels. Bring the flames, mainstream science people!

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk
No.
or so they claim

It's not only a claim. It has been, you know, tested, hundreds of times since Albert Michelson and Edward Morley did so in 1877. It can be tested, and has been, using lasers and mirrors, or by measuring the speed of electrons as they jump from one energy level to another. You can test it yourself, if you like. www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   
No, if you go forward with the speed faster than light and turn on the light you will overtake your own light as you go faster than it can travel.

The same rule goes with the speed of sound , you are breaking the sound barrier when you travel faster than the sound you make and the sound will be delayed behind you.

As you said, the speed of light is a constant speed.

edit on 3-6-2014 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   

No, in your example the beams from your headlamps are not traveling at "speed of light + 50mph." One very simplified reason why is the concept of intertial frames of reference.

See here for an example and you can search out others if it interests you.

edit on 3-6-2014 by FatherStacks because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Speed of light is constant in a vaccum, but it changes if it moves through a different medium.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   
If a black hole can draw in light, doesn't that mean that the black hole is pulling faster than the speed of light? If light can't be seen directly in outer space (which has been theorized recently), then who's to say that light has a definite speed at all? Maybe light only has the properties we know of in Earth's atmosphere. Outside of Earths matrix, it could be infinite.
edit on 3-6-2014 by Oannes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I suppose I should make a point of not driving at faster than light speed at night.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
I suppose I should make a point of not driving at faster than light speed at night.

If the object producing the light is not going at the speed of light then the headlight light would be going faster than the object.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Based on my own observation of an obvious extra solar system based starship that visited our planet in 1976 -- and other peoples observation of some UFOS as well --- I tend too speculate that these E.T. alien starcraft, have somehow broken the speed of light barrier.

I also speculate that the only fuel than can achieve speeds up to the speed of light barrier --- and beyond into the superluminal realm [faster than the speed of light] --- are photons being ejected out of a thruster port, from a black hole propulsion unit on a starship.
edit on 3-6-2014 by Erno86 because: added a couple of words

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Light is always created at a fixed point imo. Then each particle travels at 299,792,458 metres per second.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Since no one really answered the question:

Think of c (speed of light) as the maximum speed that a wave can travel. Basically, it is energy and magnetism that hold each other together and travel unhindered by mass and particles.

micro.magnet.fsu.edu...

When your headlights are actually generating light (via gas and filament in a halogen lamp) the circuitry is really transmitting electricity into energy and magnetism, which happens to be a wave in the visible spectrum.

Now, consider this: a wave has infinity acceleration and can reach c instantly. If you are at a standstill and shine your light, it will reach the maximum speed instantly. Also, if you are moving 50+ miles an hour your light will reach maximum speed instantly. There is no difference or "pushing" factor to make the light travel faster, just a wave and a fundamental limit we can observe.

Now the real question is, how can information travel faster then light with quantum entanglement?
edit on 3-6-2014 by Attentionwandered because: clarity

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Erno86

ROMULAN! I always got the impression gravitics and magnetics did the job by reducing (somehow) the mass of the object.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I think its a "bubble" thing for super laymans terms.
another example is, your ship is going 1mph slower than the speed of light...in that ship, your walking forward (its a big ship) at 2mph, which would mean then from a external view, you were going 1mph faster than the speed of light, but in reality, your just going 2mph in the framework of the whole ship...sort of like almost a different...hmm..dimension if you will.

That's how it was explained to me...everything is relative to the framework that your within. As others pointed out, turning a flashlight on and pointing it to the east doesn't violate the speed of light due to earths rotation being the starting point...as the frame of reference is within the earth itself.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX
another example is, your ship is going 1mph slower than the speed of light...in that ship, your walking forward (its a big ship) at 2mph, which would mean then from a external view, you were going 1mph faster than the speed of light, but in reality, your just going 2mph in the framework of the whole ship...sort of like almost a different...hmm..dimension if you will.

That's how it was explained to me...everything is relative to the framework that your within. As others pointed out, turning a flashlight on and pointing it to the east doesn't violate the speed of light due to earths rotation being the starting point...as the frame of reference is within the earth itself.

I've presented that very idea to scientists before and was told no. The idea is you wouldn't be able to "walk 2mph" in that ship, nevermind that the ship probably won't be able to sustain it self going 1mph slower than the speed of light.

I personally don't agree with that, and do believe in a some sort of faster than the speed of light due to relativity, but if it's true it would be a huge scientific discovery and break the notion that "nothing" can go faster than the speed of light in the Universe.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: PsychoEmperor

originally posted by: SaturnFX

I've presented that very idea to scientists before and was told no. The idea is you wouldn't be able to "walk 2mph" in that ship, nevermind that the ship probably won't be able to sustain it self going 1mph slower than the speed of light.

I personally don't agree with that, and do believe in a some sort of faster than the speed of light due to relativity, but if it's true it would be a huge scientific discovery and break the notion that "nothing" can go faster than the speed of light in the Universe.

I asked a physics board about various "cheats" around the light speed barrier and was ultimately told that, but they could have been incorrect after all, so fair enough. Outside of random curiousity, I haven't really taken too much time to consider it due to it not being relevant to my life really (may change when I decide to give sci-fi bookwriting a go).

I reckon if what your folks said is true, matter itself couldn't even go that close considering electrons spin around the nucleus at 1/137th the speed of light, so, you could go a maximum of 136/137th the speed of light before hitting the physical wall...aka, about 1357 miles per second slower than light before atoms themselves must stop.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   

The speed of light is NOT A CONSTANT no matter what they tell you,They can slow light down to 38 miles per hour in the lab and have heard they now have stationary photons.Even more all sub-atomic particles are speeding in many times faster than light and forming all atoms and then break apart and fly off faster than light again at such a high frequency that they cant measure it because there instruments are doing it also. So nothing is solid, nothing is real and matter is being generated on demand for the observer.
edit on 3-6-2014 by supergravity because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join