It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Slender Man Cult. Girl Stabbed By two 12 Year Old

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack
a reply to: UnmitigatedDisaster

How do they even know about it?

I'm sorry, but my 11 year old damn sure will not be on any website, ATS included, discussing Slenderman or similar topics, without direct adult supervision.

I do let my kid read some of the fact based forum threads - after I read them first. Anything else. No.

I stumbled across Creepypasta one time, but didn't think it was really anything serious at the time. Perhaps I am too old for it. Never heard of Slender Man before, but Ender Man is in Minecraft and as soon as I saw this OP, I made the connection to the reference.

There are literally thousands of urban legends out there, I thought Creepypasta was just one of those sites that simply allowed people to share urban legends and nothing more than that. Really though, is there really a Slender Man cult?

I did not know.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   
It's interesting that people blame pretend violence for bad behavior over real violence. Censoring in this case would be like erasing any mention of satan from the bible just in case children want to start worshipping him. It's a completely ridiculous knee jerk reaction that is so typical of Ametican society today.

Perhaps if we become proactive and make sure kids are receiving proper nutrition, sound parenting, love, spiritual guidance and meaningful education we would see A LOT less of all the tragedies that have plagued us lately.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Those girls most certainly do not look like the typical healthy, happy tweens I see everyday and their comments about the crime...FFS!

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: WarminIndy

I don't think that Creepypasta is necessarily the source of all evil either. I was reading Stephen King as a teen and I turned out fine. Creepypasta is just one site that has Slender Man stuff. Like I said before, you can find more on youtube and other venues. It's quite the thing amongst kids and I think it's the combination of all the stuff on the net that adds up to kids pondering whether Slender Man is real or not. These girls obviously thought he was. Whether they were simply mentally ill or genuinely afraid, who knows, but I'm betting that will be hashed out in the courtroom.

I don't think we should censor Creepypasta or anything like that. I think that this story really should give parents pause about just what their kids are doing and looking at online as this is a nightmare scenario. There's other examples of nightmare scenarios for parents to peruse as well from teens beating up other teens to upload the video to youtube in order to further shame their victim or cyberbullying would be another example. The latter goes on quite a bit, according to my middle schooler, because the kids forget their dealing with their friends once they go online.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: WhiteAlice

I don't think that Creepypasta is necessarily the source of all evil either. I was reading Stephen King as a teen and I turned out fine. Creepypasta is just one site that has Slender Man stuff. Like I said before, you can find more on youtube and other venues. It's quite the thing amongst kids and I think it's the combination of all the stuff on the net that adds up to kids pondering whether Slender Man is real or not. These girls obviously thought he was. Whether they were simply mentally ill or genuinely afraid, who knows, but I'm betting that will be hashed out in the courtroom.

I don't think we should censor Creepypasta or anything like that. I think that this story really should give parents pause about just what their kids are doing and looking at online as this is a nightmare scenario. There's other examples of nightmare scenarios for parents to peruse as well from teens beating up other teens to upload the video to youtube in order to further shame their victim or cyberbullying would be another example. The latter goes on quite a bit, according to my middle schooler, because the kids forget their dealing with their friends once they go online.

Creepypasta isn't really anything more than a wiki site.

I did just read about kids involved in the knock-out game in Cincinnati. Those kids are "playing" an underground game also, one fueled by more than just racism, but something that is pervading and invading the minds of our youth today. I have never seen such a level of violence among young people before.

Where is this coming from, that even a middle-aged woman in a wheelchair like I am now must worry that when I go out to the store, who is going to attack me? It's gotten to that level now when every young person must be viewed with suspicion that they might either play "knock-out" with me, or attack me for the purpose of joining yet another pop culture cult.

Like I said before, I have never seen a Juggalo take a hatchet to anyone, so something else is going on under the surface that our young people are just acting out upon.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I don't think Internet mythological creatures are to blame. I work with and around the extreme end of the insane spectrum and just feel that a certain percentage of people in a society are going to have a few screws loose and there is little we can do to predict or prevent. The rest of us fit somewhere on the sliding spectrum too.

As sad as this is, it's extremely rare for two people of this like mindedness to meet, let alone be twelve year old girls, but it can't be ruled out.

My kids have free Internet access with a lot of "talks" , I've heard them talk about slenderman, and I know for a fact they'd never kill or even be violent.

Sad though

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   

How do they even know about it?

I'm sorry, but my 11 year old damn sure will not be on any website, ATS included, discussing Slenderman or similar topics, without direct adult supervision.

I do let my kid read some of the fact based forum threads - after I read them first. Anything else. No.

Do you keep your kid locked in a basement or something? Out of public schools?

Because there really isn't any kid I know, nephews, nieces, kids of friends, all around that same age group, that aren't aware of Slenderman to some degree or another. For reference that's a solid twenty children all between 8-14. That's just the kids I know and actually talk to on some level of regularity. There's a few million more out there that also know of it. Just like we all knew about Bloody Mary and "bad drugs" when I was a kid, despite never having been exposed to it or had the internet to tell us about it.

edit on 3-6-2014 by UnmitigatedDisaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a sad case of two disturbed kids sharing a fixation which they used to justify a shared bloodlust. they simply wanted to kill. the slenderman could just as easily have been a vampire or a ghost. his prescence made their delusions not only real for them but important, and urgent.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Char-Lee
a reply to: UnBreakable

And to blame it on the "Slender Man" on said website is totally ridiculous. - See more at: www.a...

Do these websites say this creature wants you to kill? The pictures all show him peaceful looking?

He is peaceful looking and boring. Unplug your kids!

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: UnmitigatedDisaster

Do you keep your kid locked in a basement or something? Out of public schools?

Because there really isn't any kid I know, nephews, nieces, kids of friends, all around that same age group, that aren't aware of Slenderman to some degree or another. For reference that's a solid twenty children all between 8-14. That's just the kids I know and actually talk to on some level of regularity. There's a few million more out there that also know of it. Just like we all knew about Bloody Mary and "bad drugs" when I was a kid, despite never having been exposed to it or had the internet to tell us about it.

Oh, that's why I never heard of it, I'm too old and I don't have children.

Bloody Mary, oh how I remember that one. Who really ever saw Bloody Mary anyway? No one that I ever knew. But your point is very valid, even though we weren't exposed to drugs or whatever older teenagers were doing, we knew such things existed.

How many times though have you heard of a "Crybaby Bridge", a "Hitchhiker that turned out to be dead" or "Swinging lights on the train tracks"? We played Ghost in the Graveyard, but no one ever played ax murderer. Our parents kept us away from Texas Chainsaw Massacre but we also grew up with the 1980s slasher flicks, so we were desensitized in a lot of ways to it. Parents dressed their little children up as Freddy Kreuger for Halloween, but no one ever went out to slash others.

Our generation had Michael Myers, Freddy Kreuger and Jason (can't think of last name) but this Slender Man gets a cult status?

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Having read this article and the postings the following can be stated:

There are several points that should be considers, questions that should be asked, and answers gotten.

The first main point should be where are the parents? After all someone has to be providing these children with the computers, the high tech to get on the web and ultimately the access to such. Why are their activities not monitored carefully for age appropriate content? Far too often, the babysitter is electronic, where the child sit and watch hours on end, gathering more and more information from different high tech sources, and it shows. Children who are considered obese, a growing epidemic of diabetes and obesity in this country. Even the advertisement, get it now and on credit permeates the advertising add space. The minds of children are impressionable, often wanting to be like their parents, and following along with what the group does. While there are many professionals who can give light into the nature of the mind, in reality we are all still in infancy when it comes to understanding how it works and what areas are affected.

Some would call for censorship of the website, or content, though that is a dangerous thing to do both legally, and on principle. While some would say we have to protect the children, the reality is that any law that uses that solely as an excuse is often the most abused and corrupt of all laws. Far too often the cries of censorship go far beyond its original intent, hitting more and more, till it comes around and the very things that original group, that said censor this content, often find what they like gets censored. The reality is that there is no real non offensive material out there, someone is offended at some time the something. It is a door best left closed, lest that someone decides to take it to the next logical course and starts to censor things that many would not deem harmless, but turn around and claim it is subversive, and we lose great works of art and literature.

And finally there is the appeal of cults. Many experts agree that the reason why cults are so appealing is that they offer solutions or ideas that many people find that they like. It often will include being part of a large group, following along with the herd. Being different is wrong and shunned, being an individual is dangerous, better to fit in and hope that you do better, but in a conformist way and mindset. It offers answers that seem to make sense but those who ask too many questions end up with more double talk and spin, that a DC politician could take pointers and learn from. Cults are dangerous as those in them do not want to question, like the fascists of a bygone era, but far more dangerous, as it molds the mind and the way of thinking.

Now to the crux of the article, and here again there will be things that people will either agree with or disagree with. The facts are that 2 girls lured a classmate into the woods and stabbed her, and thus killing her. Based off of articles I have read, this was not some random spur of events, but cold blooded premeditated events, that the 2 who did the killing, planned it out. Then carried out said plan, with the victim living long enough to get some help, and tell the police who it was that did it to her. There are questions that we will never be given answers to, such as the mental state and health of these 2 girls, were they on anything at the time, and why they think that such is real. What was their home life like, how were they in school, and how involved were the parents in their lives.

We will never know ultimately the answers to these questions, but much of what we are seeing today, was predicted years before many of us were even born. Edward R. Murrow, in one of his speeches, stated that unless we try to get more enlightened shows on the television, it will lead to the dumbing down of the country and its population.

Violence content is all around us, along with those who should be looked up to, often are the worst people to be considered hero’s or examples. Stars and the affluent getting away with crimes, or let off with light sentences, sends a bad message out to the very people who look and idolize them. And those who should be idolized are often ignored, they are not cool, or popular or hip. Those who are not fit to be in the lime light now take on that role and it all plays into the mindset of the youth. Far too often children have high tech gadgets, as they are cool, while low tech or simple toys are discarded, or considered not so fun. We have entered a new age of being and perhaps we all need to take a step back when it comes to children and think about what lessons and things we are either encouraging or allowing.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

And for the love of God, you don't prosecute these children as adults. Read what they are saying....they are in no way able to process information like an adult. They were children having the naivete of children, and like children do they weren't fully understand the ramifications of their actions.

Nothing about this case says anything but that these are children that did something horrible.

I don't feel there is any truth to that.

Stabbing someone over, and over, and over again is not something done out of innocence of naivete. These children are dark. A "normal" child feels something ingrained and automatic when they cause harm to something. When someone calls out in pain an agony even a small child understands that something "wrong" is happening. If they are petting a cat and the cat jolts in pain because the child didn't understand pulling the tail would hurt, they might not understand the mechanics behind the experience but they get the basal understanding, which is that something bad is happening, not something good, not something indifferent.

These children do not have that "something" inside them that tells them when they're doing wrong, or if they do it's hidden so deep and covered with so much darkness it might as well not exist. Can you show me a single example in the history of the human race, where any sort of therapy was able to imbue that "something" into a person that lacks it?

We are all capable of doing horrible things in a moment of rage, pain, or extreme despair. These children weren't in a moment, they calmly calculated this deed, lured classmates to the spot they had chosen to cut them to death.

Getting rid of them is the best thing for the safety of society. They will never be rehabilitated, especially with the methods we currently use to do so. Any sort of method to change them, will be taken by them as an attack, they don't think there is anything wrong with them, and they won't change. They might trick you into thinking they changed, and you might believe it because you already believe they can be "helped"

If you care about their souls, stop them from causing any more evil in this world. If you care about society, keep them from hurting anyone else. If you care about your own emotional reaction to executing them, let them live and carry on poisoning this world. If you don't feel you have a right to make that choice, then don't, don't suggest or support any action in this case. But as soon as you take on the mantle of making choices, you must accept that your choices will then directly affect the lives of someone, whether it be their lives or the lives of their victims. Do you want to save their lives, or their victims lives? Sadly you can't do both.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: sdcigarpig

They accessed it on Ipad tablets given to them by their school.

The article states that.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: James1982
I don't feel there is any truth to that.

Stabbing someone over, and over, and over again is not something done out of innocence of naivete. These children are dark. A "normal" child feels something ingrained and automatic when they cause harm to something. When someone calls out in pain an agony even a small child understands that something "wrong" is happening. If they are petting a cat and the cat jolts in pain because the child didn't understand pulling the tail would hurt, they might not understand the mechanics behind the experience but they get the basal understanding, which is that something bad is happening, not something good, not something indifferent.

These children do not have that "something" inside them that tells them when they're doing wrong, or if they do it's hidden so deep and covered with so much darkness it might as well not exist. Can you show me a single example in the history of the human race, where any sort of therapy was able to imbue that "something" into a person that lacks it?

We are all capable of doing horrible things in a moment of rage, pain, or extreme despair. These children weren't in a moment, they calmly calculated this deed, lured classmates to the spot they had chosen to cut them to death.

Getting rid of them is the best thing for the safety of society. They will never be rehabilitated, especially with the methods we currently use to do so. Any sort of method to change them, will be taken by them as an attack, they don't think there is anything wrong with them, and they won't change. They might trick you into thinking they changed, and you might believe it because you already believe they can be "helped"

If you care about their souls, stop them from causing any more evil in this world. If you care about society, keep them from hurting anyone else. If you care about your own emotional reaction to executing them, let them live and carry on poisoning this world. If you don't feel you have a right to make that choice, then don't, don't suggest or support any action in this case. But as soon as you take on the mantle of making choices, you must accept that your choices will then directly affect the lives of someone, whether it be their lives or the lives of their victims. Do you want to save their lives, or their victims lives? Sadly you can't do both.

Execution is wrong. I will never agree in any instance that it would be right. It is wrongwrongwrong. Cameron Willingham is the only search needed to teach me that lesson.

That aside, are these girls juvenile? If yes, then they are children. We can do all manner of back handsprings trying to argue how horrible and heinous they are. But they are still going to be children when those gyrations are complete. They have a childs life experience. And they have a childs expectation of reality.

The remainder of the post....neither you nor I "know whats inside" those girls. I suspect that between the two of us, not a single psychology degree can be had, so our combined powers likely wouldn't yield much insight into their minds. The only thing we can say for sure is that children committed a horrible crime because they believed a fictional story on the internet. If that isn't a childish mind, I don't know what is.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: mikeone718

I'm sure they are making mirrors of it as we speak.

I read a few of their stories, Was not real impressed, lot of gore but the bad writing, syntax and grammar that turned my stomach.
With my p-poor typing that is saying a lot.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: WhiteAlice
a reply to: DEV1L79
That means no more smart phones for children because they'll just use those at school to access the net, too. They really do. Want your kid to have a cellphone so you can keep tabs on them? Fine--get them a dumbphone. What they do with those smartphones at school would shock you.

The cell phone companies could actually promote limited plans calling them 'youth' or the equivalent.
numbers called and received from would need to be approved by the parents.
Only certain sites could be accessed, for example - nothing more racey than the disney channel allowed.
It's a phone not a computer, thechilds computer at home access could be limited by throttling the data down to the speed of 'dial up.' Yeah remember that?

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Hmm. Seems logical. That was me being sarcastic, which I haven't mastered yet. Like UnBreakable wisely pointed out, this cannot be blamed on some crap they read on the internet. Why? Because kids should be taught the difference between right and wrong by this time. Even "bad" kids are not usually going to murder somebody. There is some underlying issue here in my opinion that made these girls capable of attempted murder. They had the intent.

Now on the other side of the coin, and this must be said, belief can drive a person to do something they wouldn't normally do. So we must distinguish between whether it truly was belief or whether they were just not brought up with good sense. Sometimes however it is not the parents fault, but most of the time there are some measures that can be taken to fix kids who will not obey their parents. And it also must be considered that some parents are not equipped to deal with problem children. And why should they be? If they don't know what to do that is sometimes understandable, although there are still certain things one can do to educate themselves.

So anyway, I still think it was not strictly belief that drove this murder attempt, but rather something else. That is to say I do not think their belief or reasoning was the underlying issue. Someone does not kill their friend to prove a point most of the time, and that tells me they did not appreciate the value of human life. Although technically human life may not be any more valuable than other animal life, but most people do not believe that since we are more sentient to some degree, capable of more intricate processing.

Normally children are brought up to respect at the very least the lives of other people. I believe, and this is just my opinion, that even non-religious parents could benefit by sending their children to church. Even if you don't want them to believe in God, or influence them at an early age, the moral benefits conferred by such an institution are helpful. Perhaps there are other organizations that attempt to do the same thing however, but church is free, lol. I'm not saying such values cannot be instilled without something like that, rather I'm just saying it could be helpful in some instances. But not all churches or religious institutions actually attempt to teach the kids about values or morals, so it would take some looking around. I would think a protestant church would be more appropriate for this, but that is just from my personal experience. Catholic churches, again from what I have seen, are more structured and proper, geared more towards memorization and not values. But I do not wish to insult anyone's beliefs.

Moving on I think that the actual motive in this case is important, for the simple fact that if the media is buying into the girls' explanation then there will be a demonization of fringe topics, even though this is preposterous considering actions of this nature are extremely rare in comparison to those in the community.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   
From the time I heard about schools using hi tech to teach classes, I was under the belief and this confirms it, a bad idea. What ever happened to books?

But beyond that, if the students were using stuff provided by the school district, that was given to be used for school work, then why was it being used for other things? Did not the school set up filters, or monitor what websites students were going to, if not keep all other sites off line, or prevented?

If it is the case that the school decided not to do such, then the school should bear some of the blame for such and the burden for what happened.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   
When I was 12 me and my buddies would go out in the woods at night looking for Bigfoot and scaring ourselves have to death. Good clean fun. It never occurred to us to murder someone. I fail to see the logic of how killing one of their friends would somehow prove that Slender man was real. I would love to interview these girls and see how they manages to blur fantasy with reality with such gruesome consequences.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: LightningStrikesHere

Or a perfect example of what children are capable of when left to their own devices? We don't need the internet to be monitored, we need parents to talk to the kids.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join