It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soldier from Bergdahl's unit tweets specific details about desertion; So what was really traded?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Having paid attention to this the following can be stated:

There needs to be an investigation into this entire matter, to include the POW that was gotten back. These need to be released to the public, to show if the man is or is not innocent, and this would include a court marshal.

If the investigation and the court marshal were to prove that this pow did indeed desert his post, then he should by all means be punished. Make no mistake the penalties for such are quite sever under the UCMJ and he will have to answer for such. Though if the investigation does prove he did, and much more it will turn out to be very bad for the Obama administration.

Think about it, the president traded 5 ex leaders of the Taliban for someone who deserted his post. This is going to go very bad for the President. He can not just choose to ignore this, or allow it to go unanswered. I would highly advise calls to the government to demand answers.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: MentorsRiddle
What was being truly traded is the American people's trust, and security - for nothing more than a turn-coat, coward.

This is a despicable thing that has happened - and should be noted for annuals of history.

you get stars for this?......you don't know crap what he was, and I don't either. but, I do know from listening to other soldiers, being out in the field of battle day after day, can have detrimental affects to the soul and mind, that civilians know nothing about.. the American soldiers should trust that this president is taking a lot of crap for getting this soldier back to America, regardless of the reason. it's disgusting that there are so many on the right that are calling this soldier a traitor, and that they should have left him there...they even went after this soldiers family....what putrid, viscous, vomit of a human do you have to be to do that.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

agreeed fully.. to go after one's family is a bit too far.

every dog shall have its day.. and oh, what a day it will be.

link   

originally posted by: sdcigarpig
Having paid attention to this the following can be stated:

There needs to be an investigation into this entire matter, to include the POW that was gotten back. These need to be released to the public, to show if the man is or is not innocent, and this would include a court marshal.

If the investigation and the court marshal were to prove that this pow did indeed desert his post, then he should by all means be punished. Make no mistake the penalties for such are quite sever under the UCMJ and he will have to answer for such. Though if the investigation does prove he did, and much more it will turn out to be very bad for the Obama administration.

Think about it, the president traded 5 ex leaders of the Taliban for someone who deserted his post. This is going to go very bad for the President. He can not just choose to ignore this, or allow it to go unanswered. I would highly advise calls to the government to demand answers.

why would it be bad for Obama?....it's his sworn duty to bring back prisoners. it's not his duty to pass judgement on their motives for being held there in the first place. that's up to the military courts, not the right-wing or FOX NEWS

link   

you get stars for this?

Thanks for the heads up...
I went back and gave the member a star too.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   

The proof is in the pudding as they say.

Once again we see confusion (
) over the administrations talking points.

This Private will never have a day in court. President Obama will unilaterally decide the "he and his family have suffered enough".

When the truth is hidden from the public, both sides can claim whatever they want.

The left claims Bergdhal "served with honor and distinction".
The right claims he "deserted and consorted with the enemy".

Perhaps both are true based on perspective and ideology. LoL

edit on 4-6-2014 by 200Plus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Jimmyx, is plenty of fact about the traitor that the president has traded for 5 Taliban terrorist.

Sometimes you need to step out of the political party lines and look at the broader picture.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 09:03 AM
link   

I agree that it is the Presidents job to bring back the prisoners of war. But if you look at the precedents that have been set, going back to the 1800’s there are a few that have been set and followed. The first is since the war in Tripoli; the USA does not negotiate with terrorist of any kind, or pay any sort of ransom. 2) All prisoner of war exchanges happen at the end of the war, which means when the names are on the dotted line and there is an official treaty/armistice. As part of said document, there is an exchange of POW’S.

This exchange does not make sense, nor should it. The POW is suspected of deserting his post, in a combat zone. And while he was being held, no one knows exactly what happened or what information that his captors got out of him. This entire trade reeks and it is bad. If there is some sort of deal going, on, the President or his staff should state, that there is a deal going on and it will lead to the end of all combat operations in Afghanistan. But there is no statement, no terms, and no nothing. The man is being treated like a hero, when there is this cloud of suspicion hanging over his head. And if it does turn out that he did indeed desert his post, it is tantamount to the President of the USA traded away 5 prisoners for a deserter, and that will further erode the confidence in the administration.

Right now this appears to be a bad trade, where the president traded down, and not up. Kind of like trading 5 guns for one pocket knife.

Unfortunately, the only way out of this is for there to be an investigation and a court martial. And as sad as it is, the proceedings will have to be public. If the man is innocent, then by all means honor him as a hero, but if he is guilty, then he needs to be punished.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: sdcigarpig

Kind of like trading 5 guns for one pocket knife.

A broken pocketknife.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   
There is no way Obama did not have the info that was put out in 2010 and knew full well that Bergdah was a deserter . This whole thing has nothing to do with Bergdah except as a patsy to free 5 high level Taliban.

There are two traders here, the POTUS and Bergdahl.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 09:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043

Jimmyx, is plenty of fact about the traitor that the president has traded for 5 Taliban terrorist.

Sometimes you need to step out of the political party lines and look at the broader picture.

our soldiers that are fighting in our name, need to know that this country will not abandon them in some enemy crap hole prison....tell me something....why would a "traitor" as you call him with absolutely no evidence of that....be held as a prisoner for 5 years???....how does that square peg go into that round hole.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Battleline
There is no way Obama did not have the info that was put out in 2010 and knew full well that Bergdah was a deserter . This whole thing has nothing to do with Bergdah except as a patsy to free 5 high level Taliban.

There are two traders here, the POTUS and Bergdahl.

right.....(rolls eyes), because you have such an unbiased command of the facts....again I ask, why would a deserter be held in captivity for 5 years?....other true deserters are out fighting along side the enemy, not being held as a prisoner...can you grasp this idea?

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Could it be that they made him leave via trade because they were playing him and the US in order to get some of their captives back. It might not be as cut and dry as many make it out to be.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   

If you had read what has been offered to you...you would find that United States Soldiers who deserted WERE held by the Vietcong and North Vietnamese Army during the war years, carried as prisoners for the duration.

This has happened before. There is precedent. You may want to research these things before making statements that suggest something can or can't be because you personally think it be so. Well..it isn't..and this has happened.

It may have just happened again. The jury is still out ...but that's just it..we DO NOT KNOW, and evidence is pointing very very badly for this guy.

Why take the vigorous position of defense, anyway? I notice you're quick to back him..is there something beyond just taking the position against the majority to drive that line of logic?

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   

again I ask, why would a deserter be held in captivity for 5 years?

He seemed to have to be valuable as a commodity in a prisoner swap, where they got far more out of the deal than we did.

What makes him a deserter is walking away from his unit and staying away from them for more than 30 days.
There is plenty of evidence that he did exactly that.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wrabbit2000

If you had read what has been offered to you...you would find that United States Soldiers who deserted WERE held by the Vietcong and North Vietnamese Army during the war years, carried as prisoners for the duration.

This has happened before. There is precedent. You may want to research these things before making statements that suggest something can or can't be because you personally think it be so. Well..it isn't..and this has happened.

It may have just happened again. The jury is still out ...but that's just it..we DO NOT KNOW, and evidence is pointing very very badly for this guy.

Why take the vigorous position of defense, anyway? I notice you're quick to back him..is there something beyond just taking the position against the majority to drive that line of logic?

to your last point, i'm not "backing" (in your words) this soldier at all, I draw no conclusion whether he is a deserter or not, that will be decided by the military justice system. apparently the people in this thread are judge, jury, and wish to be the executioner. to all the military out there, along with their families, I hope this idea of leaving our soldiers in enemy captivity because of political motivation, does not catch on.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Jimmyx, from the beginning of the ordeal when the soldier abandon his post, to what follow after for 5 years ago, it was not doubt in anybody's mind specially those that were around him at the time that the ordeal happen that he was having problems with his military service and alliance to the US.

If you have read into the information that his fellow soldiers released, the information from his muslim father and the point of view of the soldier itself you can make your own decision.

He is not a POW he is a deserter.

Then you have to take into consideration that we have a president that his favoritism to appease and kiss butt to terrorist in the middle east can not be denied.

Is not a conspiracy is facts.

Last e-mail to parents

On June 27, 2009, Bergdahl sent a final e-mai­l to his parents:

The future is too good to waste on lies. And life is way too short to care for the damnation of others, as well as to spend it helping fools with their ideas that are wrong. I have seen their ideas and I am ashamed to even be american. The horror of the self-righteous arrogance that they thrive in. It is all revolting.

His e-mail went on to describe his disillusionment with the U.S. mission in Afghanistan:

In the US army you are cut down for being honest... but if you are a conceited brown nosing # bag you will be allowed to do what ever you want, and you will be handed your higher rank... The system is wrong. I am ashamed to be an american. And the title of US soldier is just the lie of fools...I am sorry for everything here. These people need help, yet what they get is the most conceited country in the world telling them that they are nothing and that they are stupid, that they have no idea how to live. We don't even care when we hear each other talk about running their children down in the dirt streets with our armored trucks... We make fun of them in front of their faces, and laugh at them for not understanding we are insulting them...I am sorry for everything. The horror that is america is disgusting...There are a few more boxes coming to you guys. Feel free to open them, and use them.

Possible desertion

A Pentagon investigation in 2010 concluded that there was "incontrovertible" evidence that Bergdahl walked away from his unit.[18][19][20] According to The New York Times, a military investigation showed that on the night he went missing, he left a note in his tent that said he was leaving to start a new life.[21] The letter said that Bergdahl wanted to renounce his citizenship.[22][23]

Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Martin Dempsey said: "The questions about this particular soldier's conduct are separate from our effort to recover ANY U.S. service member in enemy captivity" and that the military will investigate how Bergdahl was captured. "Like any American, he is innocent until proven guilty.[...] Our Army’s leaders will not look away from misconduct if it occurred. In the meantime, we will continue to care for him and his family."

The reality is that his fellow soldiers gave him the tittle of deserter after what they experience around him.

Some soldiers who served with Bergdahl have called Bergdahl a deserter. Nathan Bradley Bethea, a member of Bergdahl's battalion wrote a Daily Beast article stating that there was no patrol the night that Bergdahl went missing, and that Bergdahl had talked about his desire to walk to India. Bethea wrote that the brigade received an order not to discuss Bergdahl due to safety reasons, but now that he has been found there is not a need for further silence. Cody Full, a member of Bergdahl's platoon, said "He knowingly deserted and put thousands of people in danger because he did. We swore to an oath and we upheld ours. He did not." Full said that Bergdahl had mailed his computer and other possessions home prior to his disappearance

Then is the issue of his father,

Bergdahl's father has been accused of having Taliban sympathies. He grew a beard to better understand the Taliban.[ Four days before Bergdahl's release in exchange for Taliban prisoners was announced, his father tweeted "@ABalkhi I am still working to free all Guantanamo prisoners. God will repay for the death of every Afghan child, ameen" which was directed to a Taliban spokesman

en.wikipedia.org...

Then the issue of Obama record and facts when it comes to terrorist groups.

The Muslim Agenda of the Obama administration

conservapedia.com...-_2009

Is too much to take I know but keep the mind open to the fact that we have a President that can not be trusted because agendas.

This are facts no conspiracies.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

again I ask, why would a deserter be held in captivity for 5 years?

He seemed to have to be valuable as a commodity in a prisoner swap, where they got far more out of the deal than we did.

What makes him a deserter is walking away from his unit and staying away from them for more than 30 days.
There is plenty of evidence that he did exactly that.

so, if all that you say is the absolute truth, than he shall be judged by our military court, not some Taliban wielding an AK, or....is that too liberal for you?

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Agree, but the one thing that is bother me right now, is how cozy his father was with the President of the US in the rose garden praising allah for his son tradfing, if my son was a deserter, been called traitor and with the evidence already in hand facing to be court martial once "rescued" will I be received by the president like that? or perhaps because the father is a Muslim the treatment is different.

Don't you wonder about that?

edit on 4-6-2014 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Well your strong and sincere feelings of respect for American soldiers is appreciated. We'll see what the UCMJ has to say about this specific "soldier".

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join