It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing People with Real Superpowers

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 07:18 AM
link   
MODS, I'm not sure which forum this belongs in. Please move, if necessary.

Don't you love to watch movies about superheroes and imagine what you would do if you had that kind of power?
As a child, I used to watch I Dream of Jeanie and wish I could do the things she did. And then along came Wonder Woman! She was beautiful, and possessed more strength than 30 men combined.
A few gifted people don’t have to imagine how it would be because, like the superheroes in movies, they also have extraordinary powers beyond normal humans.
Here is a selection of real people with extraordinary powers and abilities that surpass those of us mere mortals.

There is a lot written about each one that I don't have room to post here. You can read it at the source link, if you wish:
mysteriousuniverse.org...

Super Strength
At 8 months old Liam Hoekstra was doing pull-ups and walking up and down stairs. By age 3, he was lifting up pieces of furniture that some adults would find difficult.
I don't know... somehow that just doesn't look right on a 3 old year kid!!

Not long after Liam Hoekstra was born, his parents noticed that there was something different abut the boy. At just two days old, Liam was already able to stand with assistance, and by 8 months old he was doing pull-ups and walking up and down stairs. By 3 years old, Liam was lifting up pieces of furniture around the house that some adults would even find difficult, as well as other amazing displays of power. Once during a tantrum as a toddler, Liam’s mother recalls him punching clear through a plaster wall. This power also gave little Liam surprising speed and agility that stunned those around him.

Invulnerability

In 1994, an unidentified man only known as John was involved in a serious car accident, yet emerged relatively unscathed except for some bumps and bruises. When the man went to see a doctor to make sure he had no internal bleeding, x-rays showed that he was fine and had not suffered any broken bones whatsoever. In addition, doctors made the remarkable find that not only had the man not broken any bones, but also that his bones were of an abnormal density, 8 times denser than those of a normal person.

Super Endurance

Dean Karnazes is not your usual long distance runner. The prolific marathon runner has performed several inhuman feats of running during his career, the most well-known perhaps being when he ran 50 marathons in 50 states in 50 consecutive days without taking any time off to rest. In another instance, the runner ran for 3 days straight without stopping or sleeping, eventually covering 350 miles, and he has also completed a 1,000 mile marathon from San Francisco to New York in just 75 days.

His super ability caught the attention of scientists and they concluded that with his gifts, Dean could run at a continuous 7 to 10 minute-mile pace indefinitely as long as he kept himself hydrated and fed.

Super Reflexes
Isao Machii is a Japanese swordsman who has reflexes far exceeding what a normal person is capable of.
He is rather well-known in Japan for his displays of freakishly fast reflexes. He can cut arrows in half, or Airsoft pellets in midair with a katana sword. He holds the record for the fastest tennis ball cut in midair, which was going approximately 440 mph.

Airsoft pellets travel at roughly 160 feet per second, which in addition to the tennis ball, is faster than the human eye can even register, so how does he do it? Basically what is happening is that he is somehow anticipating where the projectile will end up before it has even begun its trajectory, allowing him to intercept it.

Mastery of Electricity
Slavisa Pajkic claims to have an array of electrical based abilities, and also, to be able to act as an insulator, conductor, accumulator, and a heater.

Pajkic seems to be impervious to electrical shock, and holds a Guiness World Record for allowing 20,000 volts to pass through him without any physical harm. The man claims he doesn’t feel a thing. He also has exhibited other electrical based abilities, such as powering lightbulbs with his hands, cooking a sausage on forks using electrical heat from his body, heating a cup of water to 97 degrees celsius in under 2 minutes, and lighting a fuel soaked swab using nothing but an electrical discharge from his head.

Real Life Aquamen
Solvin is a spear fisherman who has lived most of his life at sea on a houseboat with his family. He seldom comes to shore. He spends his days spear fishing and living a simple life on the water.

His aquatic lifestyle has apparently caused him to adapt to his environment in surprising ways. His vision is said to be twice as clear underwater as a normal person’s, giving him crystal clear vision when swimming. This is thought to be due to his eyes adapting to constrict the irises underwater rather than expand them like a typical person. He is also said to be able to be more resistant to crushing pressure at a depth of 20 meters, where he hunts for fish to feed his family. In addition, he can hold his breath for around 5 minutes.

5 minutes may be a long time, but it’s nothing compared to Solvin’s fellow aquaman, Danish freediver Stig Severinsen. The diver’s first major accomplishment happened in 2010, when he jumped into a tank and broke the record for holding one’s breath voluntarily with an absurd 20 minutes and 10 seconds. 2 years later, he surpassed even that time, when he held his breath for a staggering 22 minutes.

Sonic Sensory Perception
At the age of 2, Ben Underwood was diagnosed with retinal cancer. It was necessary to surgically remove both of his eyes.
When he turned 5, he discovered that he was able to click his tongue and gather information on his surroundings based on the echo he heard, like dolphins use echolocation. Using this echo, he was able to assimilate a rough picture of his surroundings in his head.

By his teens, Ben was able to get around just as well as anyone with sight. He had an uncanny ability to reach out to pick up whatever he wanted and could even accurately discern the shape of objects without touching them. With his unique ability, Ben could also do other activities such as climb trees, ride a bike, go skating, and even do martial arts, all with a competence comparable to someone with full sight.

Superhuman Pain Tolerance
OMG! OUCH!!!

Tim Cridland, also known by his stage name of Zamora the Torture King, is an entertainer specializing in all manner of dangerous stunts involving extreme pain, such as sword swallowing, fire walking, body piercing, and electrocuting himself.
Tim is known to lay on beds of nails with audience members jumping on him, and once laid on a bed of nails with a toyota planted on top of him. The acts he performs in his shows are the kinds of things most people cringe at when they see, yet Tim claims he doesn’t feel a thing.

Control of Heat and Cold

They are known to be able to withstand extreme cold that would incapacitate a normal person.

Sorry, I've run out of room to post more about this one.
edit on 6/3/2014 by sled735 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Powers exist, you have to tap into them.. And even then they might kill you.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 07:30 AM
link   
I am talking about God Being.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 07:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: MX61000
Powers exist, you have to tap into them.. And even then they might kill you.

Yes, it's amazing what one can do using his mind.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 07:38 AM
link   
a reply to: sled735

Cool thread!

Man, that kid is freaky. I would not want my kid to look like mini roid freak. Just plain weird.

The rest of them are super cool though, especially the electric dude. The pain tolerance guy is nuts! How do you discover that sort of thing? "Hey guys, watch this!" *sticks knitting needle through face* uh..
edit on Cam7Tuesday3920143730Tue, 03 Jun 2014 07:39:37 -05002014 by CagliostroTheGreat because: typo

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Cool, thanks for sharing this with us! The World is a mysterious place. S&F Sled!

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Kid has myostatin mutation, there are other people like him in the world. First of all this mutation has been linked to cattle and excessive muscle growth, where this mutation started in humans answer might be in GMO foods.

The guy with no sense of pain could be reason for self suggestion or congenital insensitivity to pain disorder and there are other people like him too.

It is intresting what you can have with a mutation but not all mutations are that good..
edit on 3-6-2014 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 07:58 AM
link   
a reply to: dollukka
Hey, this ain't x-men... It's not a mutation...

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: MX61000
It's not a mutation...

The muscle thing? Sure is:

Mutations in the MSTN gene cause myostatin-related muscle hypertrophy.

ghr.nlm.nih.gov...

edit on 3-6-2014 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 08:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: CagliostroTheGreat

Cool thread!

Man, that kid is freaky. I would not want my kid to look like mini roid freak. Just plain weird.

The rest of them are super cool though, especially the electric dude. The pain tolerance guy is nuts! How do you discover that sort of thing? "Hey guys, watch this!" *sticks knitting needle through face* uh..

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: dollukka

Yes, it discusses this on the source page. I couldn't squeeze everything into the OP.

edit on 6/3/2014 by sled735 because: DAMN!

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   
The parents of Liam Hoekstra should be arrested for Child Abuse!

And I'm not even joking!

That's terrible!!!

Korg.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Korg Trinity

LOL. It's not their fault. He has a condition that has made him this way. Go read the full story in the source page.

edit on 6/3/2014 by sled735 because: typo

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 08:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: sled735

LOL. It's not their fault. He has a condition that has made him this way. Go read the full story in the source page.

Sorry but I don't think so.... some excuse!

Korg.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Korg Trinity

What?

What are you saying is, that is it Liam's parents who forced the little guy to become all buffed-up??

edit on 3-6-2014 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   
The man, the eighth wonder of the world. Andre the Giant. 7'5'', over 500 lbs. He had gigantism, and later acromegaly, which is a pituitary gland disorder. In addition to being one of the greatest pro wrestlers and the highest paid for his time, Andre had a superhuman capacity for drink and food. The Giant, born Andre Roussimoff, lived most of his life in a lot of pain and he coped with it by drinking insane amounts of alcohol.

link
^^Great read!

Anyways, here are some awesome beer accomplishments by The Giant:

•Andre the Giant drank and estimated 7,000 calories of beer everyday. Considering his beer of choice was usually Molsen Canadian I did the math: 7,000 calories per day ÷ 150 calories per can = 46.6 beers per day. How true this is…I have no idea. Regardless, that is a lot of beer!

•According to some wrestlers, he would drink a case of beer before each match as a warm up. Who needs a sports drink when you can have a beer or 24.

•When Hulk Hogan toured Japan with Andre, the giant would drink tall boys like water on the bus. He would crush the can in his hand (yes one hand), and throw it at Hogan. Whenever the bus stopped, Hogan had to buy Andre as many cases of beer as he could carry back onto the bus. Yes, Hogan was his beer wench.

•In 1977, he drank an estimated 75 beers at a bar with “The American Dream” Dusty Rhodes and refused to take a taxi back to his hotel. He hated sitting in them because of his size. The decision was made to find another way back. He located a horse carriage, lifted the man off of it, and well…stole it. The Giant and Rhodes took a drunken ride through Manhattan as onlookers watched in shock. Not a single person was willing to challenge the two and when the cops found them, they were drinking brandy at the hotel bar as if nothing happened.

•He once drank 119 bottles of beer in six hours…and actually passed out in a hotel hallway. He was so large nobody could budge him. Therefore, his friends hid him with a piano cover. Not a single person touched him while he slept that night. Who would be that stupid?

•He once had a $40,000 hotel bar bill while filming The Princess Bride. That's in only one month.

•He once at 12 steaks, 15 lobsters, and emptied a restaurant’s entire bar. He was known to make restaurant stay open for hours after they closed so he could satisfy his appetite for food and booze. According to his friends, Andre would usually do this to impress people and the staff had no problem watching his impressive eating.

•He hated to fly and would often wipe the entire plane’s bar stash out before take off.

•According Mike Graham, he witnessed The Giant drink 156 beers in a row. This was backed up by Dusty Rhodes and Michael Hayes.

•According to journalist Bill Apter, he sat and watched Andre and Harley Race pound beers over the period of a day while they were in New Orleans. The Giant drank 125 beers or more during their day together.

•What is the most impressive story in my opinion? Apparently, one evening Andre was eating at a restaurant and hadn’t had a drink in a while. He was very cranky that evening and four guys made the mistake of taunting him. After ignoring their antics for a short period of time, Andre had his fill. He followed them out to their car and flipped the entire car over in a rage. Hogan was right, a drunk Giant was a happier giant.

link

I hope this isn't a T&C violation and I hardly recommend trying this at home. His pain alleviation method apparently worked for him during his time with us, unfortunately he died at 47 years old. Another pro wrestler, Big Show, Paul Wight, was diagnosed with acromegaly as well. He had surgery on his pituitary gland and was able to stop the degenerative effects. Big Show is pretty much the same size, 7'3'', 500+. Say that wrestling is fake but these folks are definitely real

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 08:34 AM
link   
a reply to: dfens

WOW! I would have hated to try and feed him as a teenager! Teens eat people out of house and home WITHOUT being giants! Imagine what he was like!

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: swanne

originally posted by: Korg Trinity

What?

What are you saying is, that is it Liam's parents who forced the little guy to become all buffed-up??

That's exactly what I am saying....

There are several examples of this around the world... usually from very poor countries...

No Child should be put through the physical and emotional pain that must ensue to get to a physic like that. Not only is it actually wrong from a medical point of view as the body that young is growing and so will grow abnormally, but it's emotionally wrong also.

It is by every definition Child Abuse.

If you can't see that then you are either not a parent yourself or have never done any real physical training.

Korg.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 08:40 AM
link   
He was 6'3'' 250 when he was twelve. You gotta love you some Andre the Giant. He left home at 17 I think, but was almost stuck being a farm laborer.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   

In addition to these early feats of strength, Liam displayed almost no body fat and was rippling with far more muscle than was normal for even active adults, let alone a toddler. His concerned parents had him examined and doctors soon learned that the cause of the boy’s super strength and muscularity was a rare genetic condition known as myostatin-related muscle hypertrophy.
The condition was first observed in humans in a German baby born in 2000 with already well developed muscles, and who at 4 years old was considered to be 6 times stronger than a normal child of his age. Myostatin-related muscle hypertrophy causes an abnormally low level of a protein known as myostatin, which is mainly responsible for limiting muscle growth in both humans and animals. When the body’s production of myostatin is inhibited, the body is able to produce muscle unfettered.
Individuals with myostatin-related muscle hypertrophy display incredible amounts of raw power and are believed to be able to gain up to 50 percent more skeletal muscle mass than a normal person, with little or no exercise required. Originally found in cattle and mice in the late 1990s, it is extremely rare in humans, with only 100 known cases.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join