It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Euthanasia for a Few Terminally Ill Babies

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Longest run we have had was a kid that wnet 30+ days waiting for a heart transplant.

Hmm, so how much of an influence was the mental retardation having on the parents decision? If this was an otherwise healthy child, would they have done differently? Not that I would even think about second guessing them or judging them in anyway, I certainly do not.

skibum

IMO there is nothing wrong with allowing them to die, but by causing the death as discussed in the article is , for lack of a better word, wrong.

Is there really much of a differnce tho, between not giving 'agreessive treatment' and giving a leathal overdose? Either way you make a decision, well aware that the result of it is death.

edsinger
This is absolutely heartbreaking!

These people are not trying to improve the population by weeding out the sick, demented and infirm. They are doing these things entirely out of consideration for the person invovled, this is enough to make it two different things. As for it being right or wrong, well, the usual thought about mercy killings is the 'horribly wounded solider' situation. Are people acting wrong there? I wouldn't care to advance judgement on that situation, because I have never had to make that choice. Have you?

Euthanasia was NOT done in this case, the Lord called her home when life support was taken away

Not to be rude but, get real. This was not a case of divine intervention and certainly is not demonstrably more so that any of the other cases of 'non-willed euthanasia'. Like I noted above, also, in both cases and types the person had to make a decision, knowing full well that after they made the choice that the person would be dead. Either way they had to choose. The actions are not so very different.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Look deep down when the Lord calls you go home and she is in a much better place.

As for stopping the suffering, let nature take its course, provide meds for pain I can see, maybe.

BUT that is not where this will end, people don't want problem kids, they will keep trying and 'wait' until they get a healthy one. Abortion

But in this case, the parents made the call, if she had no chance then fine, but there are things called miracles you know, not that one would have happened, but it COULD have.

This is a tough call in the case in which FredT gave.....tough indeed.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 02:51 AM
link   
I have no problem at all with euthansia per say. however talk of legislation allowing for euthanasia of mentally retarded babies is a step too far imo.
There are of course exceptions, where the mental retardation is accompanied by defects which will cause lifelong suffering, such as spina bifida for instance, or ms. then again ,who judges that life worth living or not. So many of these folk live a normal happy life despite their handicaps.
should parents be allowed to euthanise their baby because its down syndrome for example and they beleive its a life not worth living? Terminal illness in babies or small children is another can of worms. If the child can be kept free of pain, then his/her life is meaningful and worthy of being let run its course, however short.
Lets not euthanise them to releive our own pain !

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by instar
There are of course exceptions, where the mental retardation is accompanied by defects which will cause lifelong suffering, such as spina bifida for instance, or ms. then again ,who judges that life worth living or not. So many of these folk live a normal happy life despite their handicaps.
should parents be allowed to euthanise their baby because its down syndrome for example and they beleive its a life not worth living?

I know of an young adult who has down syndrome that took 6 years to graduate high school, but right now is applying to go the Culinary School to learn how to be a chef. I am afraid that the precedent set will lead to euthanizing anyone who is different or retarded or somehow not quite normal to certain people requirements.

I hate the suffering of children, but this can not be allowed to continue.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by knights5629
I know of an young adult who has down syndrome that took 6 years to graduate high school, but right now is applying to go the Culinary School to learn how to be a chef. I am afraid that the precedent set will lead to euthanizing anyone who is different or retarded or somehow not quite normal to certain people requirements.I hate the suffering of children, but this can not be allowed to continue.

I would like to add that some of the people with downs S, are some of the most happy people I know. They are still Gods children and deserve to have life.

I agree many of these might be done to allieviate 'our' suffering and not the childs......

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join