It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Next big artist right here on ATS...or not

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 09:26 PM
link   
The majority of people who play an instrument dream about being up on stage, feeling the crowd roar as you stand up there in your element getting paid millions to do what you love, having people recognize you everywhere you go and having the time of your life...but most people never make the effort to live that dream...

But then there's the few who do...

My question is, what advice would anyone here on ATS who has been involved in the music industry give to a younger person, with nothing but a truck, guitar, and a few grand saved up, thinking about pursuing the direction of becoming a music star? Also, what would be the best path to becoming even just a songwriter for those who are good enough to make it on stage?

I've been such a music fan my whole life I feel like I can't help but feel drawn to it.

i'll end with one of my favorite lines from a song,

"could make a million or wind up broke..."

thank you all

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 09:33 PM
link   
This advice won't mean much at first depending on who you are. But if you understand what other musicians do especially the big tymers. They all understand god and bring god to individuals personally through song.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Play.

Play everywhere you go. To one person, to five people, to a whole crowd that doesn't even seem to notice you are there. Play with everything you've got - every time you play.

Go places. Go anywhere. And play.

I believe we attract our life. If you put yourself out there - those like-minded will be drawn to you. That's when the magic happens.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I never wanted to be a star - I care about music and lots of the music biz b.s. comes with annoyance and heartache.
So the biz isn't musical much.

And much of what's "popular" is not really musical. I'm kind of a throwback.

I've been in bands for years and learned to play most of the instruments of rock but am mostly concerned now with putting out instrumental rock music that sounds like it could be part of a soundtrack or new age ambient style music.

Check it for yourself:
aliensporebomb.bandcamp.com...

I'll never be a famous person, but that's not the goal. The goal is to spread my music to those who want to hear it.

The music more or less compels me to make it. It's like I'm fishing it out of the air somewhere.

I'll never recoup what I've spent on gear, the studio and other equipment but I work a day job so I can play what I want.

That's a bigger payment than you would expect.

Anyway, good luck!

edit on 2-6-2014 by aliensporebomb because: typo

edit on 2-6-2014 by aliensporebomb because: mistyped url

edit on 2-6-2014 by aliensporebomb because: finally corrected

edit on 2-6-2014 by aliensporebomb because: spacing

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 11:48 PM
link   
a reply to: aliensporebomb

Hmm.

Actually, on second thought, I'll PM you what I was going to say as this is the OP's thread.

Honestabe28, I never gave my love of music the respect it desired at the right time/age, that's ok because I shudder at the thought of playing live.
When I was a drummer, I felt kind of hidden at almost safe, but man, I hated people looking at me. Then as a keyboard player in a duo act with a brilliant guitarist (seriously he was incredible) all I felt was not good enough. Even though we were able to free flow idea's and create originals on the spot. Fantastic night looking back on it, but I felt sick for weeks before the show.
But if you have the confidence, do it while your still young (28?) and while you can still sleep in your truck and eat what-ever you can scrounge. If you can play and make a person smile, that's a win. If you can play to enough to feed yourself, that's an anomaly. If you can make enough to be famous and buy a house and hire a full time butt coach, then you've struck the pop-lotto!

(I write this as I'm digging aliensporebombs track Atmospheres, it's making me smile. That's a win)

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 01:08 AM
link   
I think you first have to make up your mind which you love more, music or becoming a millionaire.

You need to love music so much, you live and breathe it. It's your main focus. Something you want to share with the world.

Like the person above suggested, you play all the time, everywhere. You do every other thing possible to be heard.

You're too busy thinking of it as a financial goal and becoming famous

Your post might have contained go listen to my soundcloud or YouTube channel or what have you, to demonstrate your abilities and your eagerness to put yourself out there. It didn't.

edit on 3-6-2014 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Qumulys

I like that...

"if you can play and make a person smile, that's a win. If you can play enough to feed yourself, that's an anomaly."

But I'm actually 21 so i can sleep in my truck and eat whatever it is I can scrounge.
28 is just a lucky number for me.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: kalunom

I think you're right. My problem is I typically don't play in front of anyone at all unless someone asks me too and even then I'm somewhat reluctant only because I don't want to be "that guy" the one who is trying to just show off...I know I'm over thinking it but whenever I bring out the guitar on my own I feel like I'm trying to be cool or something when really I just want to have people sing along haha

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: aliensporebomb

Very cool stuff, keep it up. I know for a fact there are people out there who really enjoy that kind of music...just look at youtube and you'll find videos of instrumental music like that with millions of views (I recommend making the name of the video something related to relaxing the mind or meditation). Go look for yourself if you haven't! type in "music for meditation" and look at the hits.

Also a good genre for high school stoners haha not that I know from personal experience...

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Play live as much as you can.

Do not trust ANYONE except yourself. You'll end up getting bled dry by promoters/consultants/"experts", all of whom will want a fee and/or a percentage of your work.

Learn to promote yourself, and This article is a hell of a place to start and believe me Kellee Maize knows her stuff.

ALWAYS read everything and get the best legal advice you can afford if contracts or licensing is mentioned. There is no such thing as a nice, kind, understanding record label - they want you to shift units. If you can't you are gone.

Have confidence in yourself, in your music and your performance. The best artists are the ones who believe in themself so much, they instantly sell it to anyone watching.

BUT..

Be humble. Be nice. Please and thank you go a long way. Your audience is your life, so treat them with respect always.

And finally... if you have stuff you want playing on ATS Live Radio, drop me a Message, and we'll see what we can do

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Be kind to everyone. And I mean EVERYONE. The music industry is pretty small, and your reputation will go a long way.

Practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice. Then practice some more. No matter how good you are, there is ALWAYS room for improvement. Constantly building your skills will help you out greatly. It's a very competitive field and no one wants to listen to someone who's not that great.

Get to know people and build contacts. They could help you out someday. Also, be willing to help them out too.

Play as often as you can. Even if it's a small venue, just go for it. Don't overschedule yourself and wear yourself out, but don't make a habit of constantly turning down gigs. And always show up early. If you have a reputation of being willing and reliable, it'll be more likely that people will ask you/recommend you to play gigs in the future.

Always give a good show, whether you're playing for 5 people or 5,000 people. The size of the audience doesn't matter, as each individual deserves your best (especially if they're paying to see you)

Read and learn as much as you can about the legal side of the music industry. Also, try to keep up as much as you can with what's going on in the industry (new technologies, artists, etc.)

Many of these have already been stated above, but that's all I can think of right now.

new topics

top topics

join