It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Girls, 12, stab Wis. friend 19 times in planned attack, cops say

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: WhiteAlice

Yes, everyone has a different perspective on this. I'm not disparaging your parenting at all...just disagree that it's something that everyone should do. My middle school child is 14 so actually she is HS age. But even from a young age I let her watch horror movies and such, but I was allowed in my childhood, so of course I see it differently. Also my child is into her things as well, mostly every sport she got into, music(chorus), drama and summer camp for the arts this year. She self monitors her internet usage. And also she does play outside often.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: ldyserenity

I wasn't limited from horror movies or books when I was a kid. Heck, I remember being 12 and my parents renting Prom Night and Friday the 13th for a sleepover of mine to watch. However, I actually ended up having recurring and gruesome nightmares as a kid. The way I see it is that kids are imaginative to begin with. They don't necessarily need fuel for that fire.

I hope you're right about your daughter's ability to self monitor. I don't doubt that some kids are capable of it, particularly as they grow older. However, I've seen more pre-teens and teens engage in some pretty noxious activity online than you can ever imagine as a gamer. I'm actually basing my cautions directly upon those experiences.

new topics

<< 1  2   >>

join