It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Neil deGrasse Tyson shuts down climate change deniers

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   
***Title is from the article***

Hey Friends,

Last night, Neil deGrasse Tyson came out with interesting figures regarding CO2:

Tyson compared the carbon dioxide released by "those damn volcanoes" with that from humans' coal and oil burning, and the results are staggering. He found that the largest estimate of all of Earth's volcanic carbon emissions — 500 million tons of CO2 — is "not even two percent of the 30 billion tons of CO2 that our civilization is cranking out every year."

theweek.com...

A clip from last night's Cosmos:

www.cosmosontv.com...

I don't always agree with some of this man's opinions but I thought I should share this one. Pretty hard to debunk..

I also know that many members do not believe in climate change, that it's all part of a money agenda but facts remain facts.

What say you?

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I agreed with you here. I think what Tyson is doing is stating facts. I'm enjoying the series.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   
The best way to fix this is to lower consumption. Now this means we have to stop buying products that need replacement in a few years and buy things that last a lifetime. Also, do we really need all those streetlights on? Seems that when you can see big cities glowing from space, it is time to do some thinking. We have totally messed up, we just need to reevaluate things.

Burning coal isn't bad if we lessen our electrical consumption like it was fifty years ago.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

We have totally messed up, we just need to reevaluate things.

Absolutely agree with you. I think we suffer from a spoiled rotten brats syndrome of some kind. We overuse everything, we overconsume everything, we forgot to use certain things with moderation.

One day ahead at some point, there will be a price to pay. Maybe not for us, maybe not for our kids, but their kids? They might pay for our mistakes very dearly.
edit on 6 2 2014 by SonoftheSun because: grammar

+8 more 
posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: SonoftheSun

Who is dumb enough to confuse climate change with global warming? There are NO climate change deniers. Basic stuff here....

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Euphem

I don't think Tyson is dumb.

Care to elaborate?

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 07:36 PM
link   

SRBS syndrome....I like it. We need to get Psychologists to list this as one of their diseases. Just think how many hundred million new clients they will have in this country.

edit on 2-6-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   

I didn't say he was dumb. I said people who can confuse climate change with global warming are dumb.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   

I do not agree Ricky. Now is the time to get really serious about alternate forms of energy.

You would have abundance, in a near free energy environment. We have made stunning discoveries about the physical nature and properties of the universe. It is time to learn how to apply them.

Neil, and the series Cosmos, laid strong founations to look very deeply in cracking the secret of chlorophyll and photosynthesis.

Maybe we all should start listening to these guys again, yeah?

+6 more 
posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   
CO2 is our friend... the earth's plants need it by the way... as for humans making the earth warm up?... Doubt it...

edit on 2-6-2014 by coastlinekid because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   

I do hope one day, our predecessors don't judge all of us the same, there were some who knew of the situation and simply felt powerless to act (mostly because we were though)..but hopefully it is a learning moment for humanity as to the costs when things like capitalism and greed become far too influencial in our system.
Science denial at the expense of casualties.

Well. Anyhow, it was a fun ride.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   

The planet is warming up. We have been (us humans) contributing to the change for the last sixty plus years at least.

To not see this, I would not describe as dumb, but simply willingly unaware.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: coastlinekid
CO2 is our friend... the earth's plants need it by the way... as for humans making the earth warm up?... Doubt it...

In years that followed, Idso and his colleagues at Arizona State University's Office of Climatology received more than $1 million in research funding from oil, coal, and utility interests. In 1990, he coauthored a paper funded by a coal mining company, titled "Greenhouse Cooling."

Source
Guy and his dad were corporate big oil stooges that have no credibility, published peer reviewed papers, and are clearly on the dole.
Bit like having Ronald McDonald explain to you why McDonalds makes great diet food...

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Not Authorized

I have about fifteen things in my house plugged in that take energy when they are not on. This adds up. Everything should have a master switch on it. Since we got nuclear energy, we boosted our consumption way up. Nuclear energy is not without it's environmental concerns either, mining ore destroys a lot. Lots of energy is used to refine it.

Now, I do not agree with what Obama did either, signing a bill to reduce emissions that much, that will put most small power plants out of commission. That increases our risk factor in the USA. Many small plants are better than a few big nuclear plants when it comes to national security.

We can boost our hydroelectric and some wind and solar, we do not have to go crazy. We do need to lower wasteful consumption though.

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 08:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: SonoftheSun

The planet is warming up. We have been (us humans) contributing to the change for the last sixty plus years at least.

To not see this, I would not describe as dumb, but simply willingly unaware.

Strange how the blog climate depot states that lake Superior still has ice on it, in June! and Michigan still has snow on the ground, in June!
From reports I have read, Earths mean average temperature has staid the same for the last 16 years, global warming? I don't know.
I am not taking one mans word on CO2, where did his figures come from? that damn IPCC? Not one of its predictions has yet to happen.

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Comparing what humans put into the atmosphere with volcanoes is hardly proof of anything!
We put out more co2 than ants but that doesn't "shuts down climate change deniers" does it!

Volcanic activity has reduced over the millions of years, does that mean we have to continually reduce emissions to keep in line with the reducing volcanic activity?
Thats nonsense!

Neil deGrasse Tyson most definitely has NOT shut down climate change deniers!!!

Please try harder!

(post by coastlinekid removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I'm not sure that geologically speaking we can ignore the previous ice ages can we? As far as I understand it, the world changes. Can we influence change, undoubtedly. Can we stop change...I doubt that we can. We don't even understand how our galaxy and our place in it can affect climate I.e. dust clouds, never mind the more regional comet debris fields or so-called dust lanes, volcanoes, solar activity in heat transference all add together. I believe we should be less wasteful for sure, just not convinced we are to blame for all the ills. Its a bit anthropomorphic... we exist hence its our fault...

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Dear Ricky,

That is old paradigm thinking. I'm talking about real energy. What Cosmos, and Neil said, was cracking photosynthesis would solve virtually all our energy problems.

He's right. Watch the series.

Devices, could be created to specially undo all the damage we have done, and, keep it pristine with such energy. You wouldn't even need cords or plugs anymore.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

Volcanic activity has reduced over the millions of years, does that mean we have to continually reduce emissions to keep in line with the reducing volcanic activity?
Thats nonsense!

Hi VoidHawk,

Perhaps (I'd like to see a link for that claim though) but it still wouldn't account for the ppm change during the last six decades or so.

And by the looks of it thus far, you are probably right in saying that he did NOT shut down Climate Change deniers!!!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join