It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would make you NOT believe in God?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: AfterInfinity

All others are impostors. God is One. Who is this God I speak of? He describes himself as "I Am".

I say 'he' only for lack of a better term
edit on 023030p://111 by backcase because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: backcase

All others are impostors. There is only God is One. Who is this God I speak of? He describes himself as "I Am".

I say 'he' only for lack of a better term

You said you'd be sad without your god. Why? What would you lose?

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   

I replied to quickly and you changed it up again, but to answer your edit, I would lose my friend, my guidance, my strength, my love. I would lose everything, as I rely on God for all.

When I question God's existence, His presence becomes brighter, and I am given understanding.

If you were to say: 'doesn't that do violence to your free will'?

I would say that I assent to God as my love and at any time I could go away. It is much like being betrothed to the Creator.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   

I replied to quickly and you changed it up again, but to answer your edit, I would lose my friend, my guidance, my strength, my love. I would lose everything, as I rely on God for all.

Why? What's wrong with relying on yourself? What's the difference between relying on God and relying on a jug of milk for spiritual support?

I hope you don't mind my questions...
edit on 2-6-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Milk nourishes my body, God nourishes my soul. I am as a child, I cannot rely on myself, I need the Father.

I don't mind them, lol.

Do I seem to?

Edit: You can see also that I put care also into a question which many would scoff at. (the whole milk jug thing..)

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: AfterInfinity
a reply to: Cuervo

What I can say with utmost certainty through my experience is that very few paths and deities are outright "false" or "non-existent". And, yes, it is possible to reconcile the apparent contradictions that brings with it.

But you're a monotheist?

Not even remotely.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArtemisE

Nope.... He's a "every religions really worshipping the same god."

" just everyone else except me misunderstands him"..."everyone except me and Jesus, I mean."

Kinda guy.

:p

I don't know how you could possibly come to that conclusion. I'm not offended but that's just a weird place to come to.

I'm absolutely not that "kinda guy".

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Milk nourishes my body, God nourishes my soul. I am as a child, I cannot rely on myself, I need the Father.

I don't mind them, lol.

Do I seem to?

Edit: You can see also that I put care also into a question which many would scoff at. (the whole milk jug thing..)

Can't you rely on yourself?

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   

I have a question for you, in return: what would make you NOT believe in gravity?

A better theory of how to explain the motion of particles and their attraction to each other and the movements of the particles.

In my way of thinking of gravity it is one particle having its own gravity field that is propagated thru 3D space adding to other gravity fields to create higher amplitude fields at certain places in 3D Space time.

Gravity fields is of course not the whole story since you have for instance electromagnetic fields also.

Humanity probably have a lot of fields that they have yet to discover that will explain the things scientist cannot observe yet.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: LittleByLittle

I don't see anything in there about not believing in gravity. Read my question again.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   

I don't see anything in there about not believing in gravity. Read my question again.

Already answered.

A better theory of how to explain the motion of particles and their attraction to each other and the movements of the particles.

Something that go past gravity but still validates the observations that are being made and have been made.

The question I wanna ask is why are you always so anti the notion of god? If it was defined as an all compassing consciousness that you are apart of will it still bother your mind so much that it exists?

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: LittleByLittle

Already answered.

Something that go past gravity but still validates the observations that are being made and have been made.

The question I wanna ask is why are you always so anti the notion of god? If it was defined as an all compassing consciousness that you are apart of will it still bother your mind so much that it exists?

But that wouldn't make you stop believing in gravity, would it?

It bothers me that people worship it. I'm more against the idea of worship, the idea that we would willingly be subjugated by anything. We'll fight a monarchy on Earth only to embrace one in the afterlife.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: LittleByLittle

Already answered.

But that wouldn't make you stop believing in gravity, would it?

It bothers me that people worship it. I'm more against the idea of worship, the idea that we would willingly be subjugated by anything. We'll fight a monarchy on Earth only to embrace one in the afterlife.

From my point of view.

That I can get and I would agree with you and dislike it if that is how I feel about god/divine. When I think of god/the divine then it is more like reaching symbiosis and helping each other out and following a higher level moral code than being subjugated.

I live under the assumption that no question on why something is "what it is" is wrong to ask god/the divine and if one souls comes up with something that makes god/the divine wrong then they would implement the better thing after validating the calculation. The reason god/the divine normally got every answer already is that they have gotten the same questions multiple times already. And I am talking about god/the divine not man made religion that is all more or less a work in progress.

Religion needs worship and like man made power pyramid schemes.

God/the divine wants symbiosis/oneness and that you follow the golden rule to the best of your ability.
edit on 2-6-2014 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   

I'm more against the idea of worship, the idea that we would willingly be subjugated by anything.

I take it you're not married.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: charles1952

I'm more against the idea of worship, the idea that we would willingly be subjugated by anything.

I take it you're not married.

Apples and oranges, dude. Did you miss the part about monarchies?

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: ArtemisE

The only thing that might... MIGHT sway me from belief in God, is if the universe did not exist, if there were no consciousness, no light, and no absence of it, no time, nothing. If existence did not exist, then I would not believe in God.

Another example of how open ended the term "God" has become. Existence itself is a deity, apparently.

Our existence as we perceive ourselves is proof of something greater (deity) had a hand in our creation; unless I were of the mind I evolved accidentally and where is the fair in evolution; in that case If I were a Chimpanzee Id be crying FOUL as someone beat me to a more progressed state of being/intelligence (why not ME) in any case (humans would have killed off all forms of my specie to actuate an advantage over shared natural resources etc). That never happened. What if nothing existed in the third dimension except just a laboratory/experiment. It all exists in the higher dimensions. No loss here as this is just a mirror for the other. This is a heavy matter experiment; nowhere ELSE IN THIS GALAXY does third dimensionality exist, all specie from other dimensions are contributing life forms to this experiment on Earth. To be able to incarnate as a human here much less as an ant or as a plant gives you gratis "I WAS THERE" during that time period. The lines are long waiting for the opportunity to experience being a 'human' on Earth. Think of it as standing in line to experience the "Matterhorn" or "Mr.Toads Wild Ride' Carnival rides; Walt Disney World CA; this is no different an experience, no one understands THIS IS NOT REAL, ITS A MOVIE you are starring in AND EARTH IS LEGOLAND, Disney tried to tell us the truth; as did certain film studios.
edit on 2-6-2014 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 04:22 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

How about the fact that existence cannot be proven at this time? The only thing you can be sure of is your own consciousness. Everything else, e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g else might or might not be a product of your own imagination. And that goes for everyone.

So when you say you believe in God because there is existence, you have based your belief on the assumption that existence exists.

Of course this works both ways; an atheist claiming not to believe in God because it cannot be proven that there is a God in existence is also basing this on the same assumption, however the implications are different.

In the end, the only thing that makes sense is to be agnostic. One can simply not know whether or not there is a God.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 05:03 AM
link   
If the God I was raised believing in exists, and is like what I was raised to believe he is like, then he can screw off as far as I'm concerned. He's nothing but a big fat practical joker. I rather burn in hell for eternity than wake up ever day hoping today isn't one of his jealous, vengeful, or egotistical days. If he complains I'll tell him straight up it's his own fault for making "his book" so confusing and full of holes, among other things. I actually look at this whole section of ATS as the comedy section (give or take). Not because I don't respect other peoples opinions but because some opinions others have only make sense in ignoring critical thinking and logic. But hey maybe I'm the retard here. I'm open to all possibilities (for the most part). What would make me not believe in God? A critical, objective look at God. I don't presume to know whether there is or isn't a God (even with my experiences), or something men attribute to God. But I don't believe the truth can be found in any one religion or creed etc. Existence is a mystery to me and always will be. I question everything.

If a creator God exists, who or what he/she/it is, is the real question.
edit on 3-6-2014 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 06:41 AM
link   
a reply to: WakeUpBeer

I agree. Anyone who would sentence every person in history, who never heard of Jesus ,to be tortured for all eternity is far worse then hitler.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: vethumanbeing

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: ArtemisE

The only thing that might... MIGHT sway me from belief in God, is if the universe did not exist, if there were no consciousness, no light, and no absence of it, no time, nothing. If existence did not exist, then I would not believe in God.

Another example of how open ended the term "God" has become. Existence itself is a deity, apparently.

Our existence as we perceive ourselves is proof of something greater (deity) had a hand in our creation; unless I were of the mind I evolved accidentally and where is the fair in evolution; in that case If I were a Chimpanzee Id be crying FOUL as someone beat me to a more progressed state of being/intelligence (why not ME) in any case (humans would have killed off all forms of my specie to actuate an advantage over shared natural resources etc). That never happened. What if nothing existed in the third dimension except just a laboratory/experiment. It all exists in the higher dimensions. No loss here as this is just a mirror for the other. This is a heavy matter experiment; nowhere ELSE IN THIS GALAXY does third dimensionality exist, all specie from other dimensions are contributing life forms to this experiment on Earth. To be able to incarnate as a human here much less as an ant or as a plant gives you gratis "I WAS THERE" during that time period. The lines are long waiting for the opportunity to experience being a 'human' on Earth. Think of it as standing in line to experience the "Matterhorn" or "Mr.Toads Wild Ride' Carnival rides; Walt Disney World CA; this is no different an experience, no one understands THIS IS NOT REAL, ITS A MOVIE you are starring in AND EARTH IS LEGOLAND, Disney tried to tell us the truth; as did certain film studios.

....Eh?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join