It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would make you NOT believe in God?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: backcase
a reply to: ArtemisE

I do not think that there could ever be proof that God does not exist.

My nature constantly questions my faith, and I have pretty much exhausted all possibilities.

You question your faith? Pardon my skepticism, but my observations have been that where faith is involved, questions are counter-productive unless engineered specifically to support that faith.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: AfterInfinity

Do you not notice that I speak to atheists and unbelievers, and I take all of their questions seriously?

Come on man, you know me better than that. We have spoken very much.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: AfterInfinity
a reply to: Cuervo

Nothing could make me "believe" in something contrary to what I already know. What I already know is that gods exist. The other sides exist. These are things I confirm on a regular basis.

How, if I may ask? It's always interesting to hear how people come to recognize a god.

That's a thread in itself and maybe it will become one someday. But I can say that, specifics aside, it's not entirely unlike experiences a person can get following other paths. This is why you have so many religions; there are connections and affirmations many people get and they attribute it to their religious path even though their path has little to do with it.

To explain in greater detail would require much background and filler to make it a coherent argument but I can say that the relationships I have are ongoing and varied (due to my work). I am not so arrogant to define the nature of the gods as an absolute because to do so would discount the perspectives of many. Your green may be my red for all we know and your fiery-headed god of such-and-such may be another person's ice-god of so-and-so.

What I can say with utmost certainty through my experience is that very few paths and deities are outright "false" or "non-existent". And, yes, it is possible to reconcile the apparent contradictions that brings with it.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Actually there pretty sure Neanderthal worshipped a god... Or atleast believed in an afterlife. They buried there dead with tools and weapons. If you didn't believe in some thing else , you don't leave useful tools behind.

That's not saying it makes a god real... Just that whatever gene we got that leaves us open to the concept of god. Neanderthal got too. So it had to be earlier then that.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I say that waking up dead should do it again for most.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArtemisE

Actually there pretty sure Neanderthal worshipped a god... Or atleast believed in an afterlife. They buried there dead with tools and weapons. If you didn't believe in some thing else , you don't leave useful tools behind.

That's not saying it makes a god real... Just that whatever gene we got that leaves us open to the concept of god. Neanderthal got too. So it had to be earlier then that.

In that case, 1.5 million. Maybe 9% of the universe's current lifespan. Color me impressed.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   
If God were to do violence to my free will and make me not believe he exists.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

What I can say with utmost certainty through my experience is that very few paths and deities are outright "false" or "non-existent". And, yes, it is possible to reconcile the apparent contradictions that brings with it.

But you're a monotheist?

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   

If God were to do violence to my free will and make me not believe he exists.

Um. I'm not sure if you realize this. But in doing so, he would be proving he exists.
edit on 2-6-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   

God could do so without me knowing. It would be a delusion forced by
God.

Responding to your edit:

I don't know? Would I even know? You gotta set some conditions.
edit on 013030p://111 by backcase because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Nope.... He's a "every religions really worshipping the same god."

" just everyone else except me misunderstands him"..."everyone except me and Jesus, I mean."

Kinda guy.

:p
edit on 2-6-2014 by ArtemisE because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   

God.

So in proving he exists, he convinces you that he doesn't exist. Where does that leave you?

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   

God.

So in proving he exists, he convinces you that he doesn't exist. Where does that leave you?

you're not understanding the idea.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   

God.

you're not understanding the idea.

Nah, I just like the irony of it. It's like a Greek tragedy. Yeah, you would be left without a god. What would you do? How would you react?

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Really could not say. I would be without my Sunshine, so I'd be very sad..

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: ArtemisE

Reality.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Really could not say. I would be without my Sunshine, so I'd be very sad..

I don't know who that is, but I'm assuming you are referring to an afterlife. Why does there need to be a god for there to be an afterlife?

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   

If when I die, I'm greeted with NOTHING. Then I won't believe. Heck .. I won't even be thinking.

I believe there is a God because of my own personal experiences. It's not a faith based belief. It's an experience based belief. And I don't mean the kind of experiences that a person can get by getting themselves worked up in a frenzy in a church service.

So ... most likely I'll believe there is a God unless I'm greeted with 'nothing' upon death.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   

I'm referring to God, who is my life and afterlife.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   

I'm referring to God, who is my life and afterlife.

Why that god though?
edit on 2-6-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join