It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would make you NOT believe in God?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   
While watching the Ken Hamm vs. Bil Nye debate. An intresting question was asked to both parties.

" What if anything would make you reverse your religious views?"

Bill's answer: Any real evidence that lead to God as the only possible answer.

Ken's answer: Nothing could ever.

So that made me wonder. What about the rest of the devout religious people?

What would it take for you to come to the conclusion your religion was false?

Is there any scientific experiment/evidence that could?

What if Zeus showed up in the flesh and said it Greek mythology was the real religion?
( apply that to any other religion besides yours.)

What if aliens showed up and said either there was no real religion?

What if advanced aliens show up with a different religion they think is true?

So what would it take it prove to you that your religion isn't real? Is there anything that ever could?

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Im sure of something

Those pesky aliens, what do they know

Christians VS muslin all over again, holy interplanetary war

Just because its an alien does not mean its different to what happens now with other religions already present, they have faith
edit on 2-6-2014 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I am already agnostic (I can't prove nor disprove God's existence).

Nevertheless I need to answer these interesting questions.

originally posted by: ArtemisE
What if Zeus showed up in the flesh and said it Greek mythology was the real religion?

I'd nod but meanwhile I'd put my hands on his Thunder Spear.

I'd tell them, "You are right; the relation with the divine is not in Mass Religion, but in the spirits of the individuals. We may kill God but then we also have the power to resurrect him, inside us all. "

As long as their religion do not threaten the security of the people, then I guess it'd be okay with me.

So what would it take it prove to you that your religion isn't real? Is there anything that ever could?

Everything is a religion nowadays - or a philosophy. Nothing can be proven wrong, nothing can be proven right.

That's what makes the Universe such a mystical, wonderful place. For what would be the purpose of Life if we already knew everything? It'd be really, really boring.

edit on 2-6-2014 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

Omg! I can so see the religious right getting us into an unnessecary extinction. Some "aliens are agents of the devil" type yahoo having a terrorist attack or something.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: ArtemisE

What changed my mind, apart from the obvious peculiar and simply impossible things I was told at school as I was growing up is the fossil record and the age of this planet.

If you think that God created this planet X billions years ago and then had to go through several stages of creation until he decided to make man in 'his own im age' then why did he bother with the creatures which precluded the dinosaurs, the dinosaurs and the other species that have become extinct?

It simply doesn't make sense, unless God created a time line for himself and then a complete shorter one for the planet. Then we have people living for hundreds of years and then him changing his mind and shortening their lives. The idea that God counts every hair on my head bothers me when there are another X billion of us all being counted by him as well.

Its man's claims that have ruined any idea of spirituality until until I moved past them and started thinking and researching for myself. The Nag Hammadi documents merely confirmed what Christ had taught and how far even Christianity has moved away from what it should have been, if it had followed Christ's teachings.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Just look at their answers.. seriously just look, who do you think is open-minded? the religous guy or the non religious guy?

I will believe/not believe when....

Bill's answer: Any real evidence that lead to God as the only possible answer.

Ken's answer: Nothing could ever.

My personal opinion, if god(if exists) wanted my undivided attention and servitude, he needs to earn it.

it could be simple as when i am sitting at a park bench.. he just pops up and be like "yo brah, yeah believe in me, i am the real deal" and poof! disappears.
edit on 6/2/2014 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Nothing. I believe the universe is my god in a way.
I believe the universe itself is sentient, or part of a larger being, and indirectly or directly creates life, all over not just here.

I do not believe in a big man in the sky, or a group of gods all devoted to controlling humans (as powerful as we are)
But nothing would ever change that for me.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: ArtemisE

So that made me wonder. What about the rest of the devout religious people?

One could believe in a God and not be 'Religious" I'm one, but I'll try some of these on for size.

Is there any scientific experiment/evidence that could?

For some of us 'Science' is simply discovering and classifying Gods work as more and more are revealed to us by our growth and understanding of this vast still not completely understood existence of ours.

I'd question why such a all powerful god would allow such diversity in our belief in him?

They'd get the same reception as the Jehovah's Witnesses do from me...

I'd be very interested to compare notes and ask for their proof

I'm not 'Religious' but am a man of faith

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Everything is a religion nowadays - or a philosophy. Nothing can be proven wrong, nothing can be proven right.

That's what makes the Universe such a mystical, wonderful place. For what would be the purpose of Life if we already knew everything? It'd be really, really boring.

I disagree. I think science will advance enough for us to prove or disprove god. ( my Money is on disprove)

I agree everything is a philosophy, but a religion is far different. Atheist isn't a religion. It's a philosophy.

Oh, and we have proven and disproven quite a bit.... Some deny it... But we have. :p

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Science is the New Religion. And as Slayer points out, science and God are not mutually exclusive.

edit on 2-6-2014 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   

The only thing that might... MIGHT sway me from belief in God, is if the universe did not exist, if there were no consciousness, no light, and no absence of it, no time, nothing. If existence did not exist, then I would not believe in God.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

The only thing that might... MIGHT sway me from belief in God, is if the universe did not exist, if there were no consciousness, no light, and no absence of it, no time, nothing. If existence did not exist, then I would not believe in God.

Another example of how open ended the term "God" has become. Existence itself is a deity, apparently.

edit on 2-6-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: AfterInfinity

Now, I did not SAY existence is God.

What I said is, that the fact that existence exists, makes me believe in God, and that if it did not exist, THEN I would not believe. It does, and I do. Do not fool yourself into believing that you are capable of discerning any deeper meaning from those words. I said exactly what I meant, and I meant exactly what I said.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: swanne

Science is the New Religion. And as Slayer points out, science and God are not mutually exclusive.

Science is not religion, only the religious will manufacture such thoughts because they have been brought up that way.

If the other post did instead to say that, then he is wrong.

Science and god might not be mutually exclusive, but science does not need a god to exist. However, these "gods" men created needs science to exist, if not, they are just fairy tales.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: swanne

You do realize that the religious are the only ones who think god and science match right. While the scientists who actually show proof and make correct predictions don't. That should be telling. Only the ones with no proof after thousands of years of trying. Think there both true.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

You said if existence did not exist, you would not believe in God. Which means that if existence exists, you would believe in God. Which you've proven just now. It therefore follows that on some level, you equate existence with God. That was my reasoning.
edit on 2-6-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

So exactly how would you be convinced if you never existed to be convinced?......

You should just have said no. Lmao

That nothing could possibly make you think otherwise. Even another "god" showing up with proof he is the real one.

I don't know how that's not silly to EVERYONE.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: AfterInfinity

It shows no such thing. Existence is either Gods creation, or a wonderful and improbable accident depending on ones own beliefs, and I do not seek to change anyones mind by what I say, but please do not think yourself qualified to decide what I mean by what I say.

I am the only person who gets to decide what I mean, and I wrote exactly what I mean. If you insist on making more of my words than necessary, I cannot stop you, but any conclusions you draw from them about me, what I do and do not believe, or anything else for that matter, will be flawed.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Well ArtemisE...

Do I LOOK like a sensible guy to you ?

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: swanne

Science is a collection of facts and predictions.

Religion is a collection of assumptions ( mostly disproven assumptions) with no proof or way to validate it....

They are only comparible by the fact both sides think they have facts. When only one really does.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join