It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Barack Obama, Bowe Bergdahl and trading terrorists. Why the hate?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Well, i thought that the day the only American prisoner of war in Afghanistan was released, would be a happy one for the USA...apparently not. I am failing to understand the contempt for Obama in securing the release of Bowe Bergdahl. I don't care if the guy deserted his post...he's still an American citizen who should have been rescued.

Republicans and the majority of ATS members are nailing Obama left, right and centre on this matter, and i think it's stupid, considering the fact that the USA was ultimately successful in securing the release of Bergdahl. Yes, Obama may have broken the law by not going through congress, but isn't it entirely possible that he was forced to take such actions? We must remember that the USA was not the entity to negotiate the deal between the USA and the Taliban. Rather, it was Qatar. It sounds possible, and even likely, that Obama was only given a limited time-frame on which to secure the release of Bergdahl. Perhaps such a time-frame did not allow him to go through congress...

"Oh, but i thought America doesn't negotiate with terrorists!" - That is an outdated expression, and it is something which the USA needs to open up to in order to actually make any ground in securing any form of resolution to the war on terror. It would also help in any agreements between the Taliban and the rest of the world...

Specifically, in regards to the situation at hand, people are criticising Obama for trading high ranking Taliban officials for Bergdahl. They are also criticising him for 'negotiating with terrorists'. Again, i say that Qatar was the entity to negotiate, and they have also assured the USA that their national security will remain safe from any infringements as a result of the release of the high ranking Taliban officials. I'm sure the US government knows what it is doing, and i'm sure they wouldn't just release the aforementioned officials without any plans to ensure the protection of national security...

Let's face it. You guys would have been crucifying Obama for leaving Bergdahl in Afghanistan, and you guys are now crucifying him for securing his release.

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: daaskapital

"You guys would have been crucifying Obama for leaving Bergdahl in Afghanistan, "

but he deserted his post,,so no,,not all.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 10:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: BobAthome

"You guys would have been crucifying Obama for leaving Bergdahl in Afghanistan, "

Well maybe not you, but i'm fairly sure the majority would have...

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 10:21 PM
link   

So you don't care if he was really captured, you don't care if he went to them under his own freewill.
You don't care that life's may have been lost for no reason in the name of "rescue
You don't care that this move could be 100% political and was not even in the name of rescuing an American, just to make the office in charge look like they rescued an American soilder.
Deal

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 10:21 PM
link   
So we traded five people that we refused to charge with any crime so we traded them for a guy that deserted his post. If there was evidence of these guys killing our people or were planners of acts that resulted in our people's deaths then why were they just sitting there? Put them on trial and let them face justice. At least this way we can get this guy back on our soil and charge him for the crime he committed.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 10:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: daaskapital

originally posted by: BobAthome

The majority would have what? Deserted their post? I'd sure as hell hope not.
Well maybe not you, but i'm fairly sure the majority would have...

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Thank you for your well thought out and articulate post. S&F for you.

Yes, to some it seems no matter what happens, people are so negative. I imagine even if Obama didn't have to give up 5 detainees, he still would have been criticized. Just can't win.

I wonder what's wrong with the mentality in my country sometimes.

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   

And there is a reason you don't negotiate with terrorists.
Makes them know they can get what they want with those tatics.
If you give a mouse a cookie, he is going to come back for milk

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   
This guy will write a book, then he will cause a terrorist attack. Why else do you think they released him?

Im just writing this online, so when it happens.. SOmeone called it.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 10:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

So you don't care if he was really captured, you don't care if he went to them under his own freewill.
You don't care that life's may have been lost for no reason in the name of "rescue
You don't care that this move could be 100% political and was not even in the name of rescuing an American, just to make the office in charge look like they rescued an American soilder.
Deal

Stop trying to put words into my mouth.

We do not know the personal motives of Bergdahl. The best we have to go on are second-hand accounts of those who went out to find him...some suggest he went looking for the Taliban, others say that he was captured and held as a prisoner of war...we don't know nearly enough to come to an ultimate conclusion on the matter.

I find it hard to believe that the secured release of Bergdahl would be an entirely political directive. Again, Qatar was the state to negotiate the release of Bergdahl, not the USA.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 10:28 PM
link   

It opens the door for terrorists to kidnap Americans to get even more people out of jail. The cornerstone of our policy towards terrorists is we do not negotiate with them in this manner.

This incident set a precedent that opened the door to placing even more people in danger. Why kidnap an American in Afghanistan when they can snag them in any country and demand ransom? Now that the government did this, the next question becomes how will the government explain to the family of a hostage who died because Washington decided not to negotiate for that persons release?

Then it becomes why is the soldiers life worth more than a US national who is a civilian? What criteria will be used now to allow for a decision on the return of an abducted US citizen?

Also, the White House broke the law as Congress is required to be notified 30 days in advance of the release of any terrorist in custody. While the administration makes a valid point on time lines being involved I don't completely buy into it.

To me this action smacks of a political decision with the midterms approaching. In case no one noticed the issues with the VA were bumped off the front page and replaced with this story.

I would watch to see if this incident is used by the White House / Democrats in a political manner.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Without hate, there'd be no ATS.

Really, why even ask?

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 10:32 PM
link   

You said you don't care if he deserted his post which is a massive crime in the time of war....
And the things i said were caused by him deserting his post.
You said the words, I just asked about the cause and effect from the event you don't care about.
And yes Obama was involved.... And the fact that Qatar is involved is even more suspicious.
Not sure if you aware the controversy they are going thru right now but they are in hot water too
edit on stSun, 01 Jun 2014 22:34:08 -0500America/Chicago620140880 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   

You said you don't care if he deserted his post which is a massive crime in the time of war....
You said the words, I just asked about the cause and effect from the event you don't care about.
And yes Obama was involved.... And the fact that Qatar is involved is even more suspicious.
Not sure if you aware the controversy they are going thru right now but they are in hot water too

I think you are missing the point of which i intended with that statement. Obviously, abandoning a post is the wrong thing to do. What i meant in saying that, was even though he did abandon his post, he should still be sought after, and rescued.

edit on 1-6-2014 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 10:37 PM
link   
You don't negotiate with terrorists...period.

You don't waste resources rescuing deserters (or possibly worse...a traitor).

I am surprised that anyone actually supports what Obama did. Not to mention he is up to his old tricks in circumventing Congress to further his own agenda. This is a black and white issue to me. Obama failed x3 on this entire fiasco and brought any ensuing anger, ridicule or disgust upon himself.

edit on 2014/6/1 by Metallicus because: sp

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 10:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

It opens the door for terrorists to kidnap Americans to get even more people out of jail. The cornerstone of our policy towards terrorists is we do not negotiate with them in this manner.

You are correct, but terrorists have been kidnapping Westerners (including Americans) for a fair while now anyway. Previously, the USA never negotiated with the terrorists in such situations and decided to go in guns blazing instead. I think this matter is different in that Qatar was the middle-man, meaning that the USA was forced to comply in a faster, less aggressive way of securing the release of a US citizen.

This incident set a precedent that opened the door to placing even more people in danger. Why kidnap an American in Afghanistan when they can snag them in any country and demand ransom? Now that the government did this, the next question becomes how will the government explain to the family of a hostage who died because Washington decided not to negotiate for that persons release?

As i said above, terrorists have been kidnapping Westerners in many countries...with the USA known to secure their release through violent methods. You are right on the last point though, in that the government would find it difficult to explain reasonings behind different scenarios.

Then it becomes why is the soldiers life worth more than a US national who is a civilian? What criteria will be used now to allow for a decision on the return of an abducted US citizen?

As i said before, i think this scenario was unique in that Qatar was the state negotiating, thereby forcing the USA to comply by their terms in order to secure the release of Bergdahl. But yeah, these things can become slippery slopes.

Also, the White House broke the law as Congress is required to be notified 30 days in advance of the release of any terrorist in custody. While the administration makes a valid point on time lines being involved I don't completely buy into it.

I agree...

To me this action smacks of a political decision with the midterms approaching. In case no one noticed the issues with the VA were bumped off the front page and replaced with this story.

Could definitely be possible.

I would watch to see if this incident is used by the White House / Democrats in a political manner.

Good point to make. I suppose we will have to wait and see.

Thanks for the comment.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 10:44 PM
link   

I think you are missing the point of which i intended with that statement. Obviously, abandoning a post is the wrong thing to do. What i meant in saying that, was even though he did abandon his post, he should still be sought after, and rescued.

What i meant in saying that, was even though he did abandon his post, he should still be sought after, and rescued.

and subject to a court martiall, and sentenced to life imprisonment as a deserter.
by abandoning his post he placed his fellow soldiers lives at risk. someone who has honor would never had done such a thing.
edit on 1-6-2014 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 11:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie

What i meant in saying that, was even though he did abandon his post, he should still be sought after, and rescued.

and subject to a court martiall, and sentenced to life imprisonment as a deserter.
by abandoning his post he placed his fellow soldiers lives at risk. someone who has honor would never had done such a thing.

And I would like to add the numerous soldiers that were killed or injured in the months following his desertion looking for him

"I was pissed off then and I am even more so now with everything going on," said former Sergeant Matt Vierkant, a member of Bergdahl's platoon when he went missing on June 30, 2009.

"Bowe Bergdahl deserted during a time of war and his fellow Americans lost their lives searching for him." Vierkant said Bergdahl needs to not only acknowledge his actions publicly but face a military trial for desertion under the Uniform Code of Military Justice.

Fellow soldiers call Bowe Bergdahl a deserter, not a hero

edit on 1-6-2014 by snarky412 because: add link

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 11:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

Also, the White House broke the law as Congress is required to be notified 30 days in advance of the release of any terrorist in custody.

exactly, we have a completely lawless regime in DC. truly a "do as I say not as I do" crowd.

And I too think the VA debacle timing played greatly into pulling the trigger on this deal.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 11:26 PM
link   
well after doing some quick research it seems that the actual details of just how this soldier came to be held in captivity of the enemy are at best a little shady, and presumably that innocent until proven guilty doesn't apply in America any more and the majority of you would like to see him hanged from the yardarm without even allowing the guy to give his own testimony preferring to believe the Taliban's version of events.
These actions I'm seeing on this thread repulse me, and i'm an Australian defending this American soldier from his vulturous countrymen, take a look at yourselves and see what you have become.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join