It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

L-3, Selex, and Ultra to offer Q400 MMA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 09:36 PM
link   
L-3, Selex, and Ultra are teaming up to offer a Multi Mission Aircraft based on the Bombardier Q400 platform. It would be modified for extended range fuel tanks, as well as an under fuselage canoe fairing capable of housing electrooptical sensors, and even weapons, such as the Harpoon anti-ship missile.

It's believed that the aircraft could be offered for roughly 80% of a platform such as the P-8 Poseidon, while remaining cheaper to operate and maintain. L-3 has purchased and transferred the aircraft to be used in testing to the US. Cascade Aviation will modify the aircraft.

The under fuselage fairing will contain three bays. The forward bay will hold a Selex ES 7500ES radar. The middle bay would be a weapons bay, while the rear will hold an electrooptical system. Ultra would install their Airborne Acoustic System for the antisubmarine role.

LONDON — L-3 Communications, Selex ES and Ultra Electronics have partnered to offer Bombardier’s Q400 turboprop airliner as the platform to meet an expected requirement for a multi-mission aircraft for the U.K.

The aircraft would be highly modified with extended-range fuel tanks and an under-fuselage canoe fairing that could be configured to carry a wide-area surveillance sensor or even weaponry to meet a range of tasks such as maritime patrol, overland surveillance or anti-submarine warfare.

The move comes as U.K. defense officials plan to deliver the results of a study on the country’s future intelligence gathering capability this summer and there is a widely-expected push to resurrect a maritime patrol capability in next year’s Strategic Defense and Security Review (SDSR) following the decision to halt the introduction of the BAE Nimrod MRA4 back in 2010.

MMA offering

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 01:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Dear Zaphod58,

As a moderator, feel free to delete this for being off-topic. I find you to be unique in all of ATS. I'm Army from decades ago, and have no particular interest in your subject area. BUT, I can't tear myself away from any of your OPs! I read them all, pick up a little snippet of information here and there, such as that cost is actually going to be a consideration and that in spite of the Administration's attitudes we are progressing.

I always leave your OPs feeling better, but for the life of me I don't know why.

With respect,
Charles1952

new topics

join