It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Playing with nuclear fire...HBO's Vice visits Fukushima.

page: 1

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 07:27 PM
I originally linked this in the main Fuku thread, but after watching it a few times... it really and truly deserves it own separate thread.

This is the 13 minute piece that HBO's series Vice did on Fukushima called "Playing with nuclear fire"

Things that should stand out in your mind after watching this are:

Claims that Fukushima released more than 168 times the amount of radiation than the Hiroshima bomb.

Government radiation monitoring posts that only measure radiation that is 4-5 feet in the air..... radiation readings on the ground at an elementary school playground a few feet away (children are playing in the background) is 20 times higher.

The pale blue butterfly study......there is a pdf you can read about the study if you search for it.....effects of mutations and mortality increased in successive generations of butterflies fed plants from around Fukushima.

The Farmer who committed suicide because the vegetables he sold to the local markets turned out to be higher in radiation than he knew.

Check out the "decontamination" of the ground..... what a joke. 250,000 tons of contaminated soil stored in bags.

Long term nuclear waste storage problems.

Ground water becomes irradiated and leaks into the ocean.

The water storage tanks are leaking.

Tepco refused to speak on camera.

Equipment breaking down only after three years

The work environment is getting worse

My new hero, Masato Kino, from the Ministry of Economic, Trade and Industry who refused to wear any protective clothing at Fukushima to show the world how safe Fukushima is. I can't wait to go to his funeral, he may actually die before me.

The Japanese secrecy law.

"Because of the coverups, what could have been a minor nuclear accident became one of the greatest nuclear disasters of all time" ~ Michio Kaku.

edit on R292014-06-01T19:29:34-05:00k296Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

edit on R312014-06-01T19:31:47-05:00k316Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 07:37 PM
Thanks for the post I'll be watching the video and editing my opinion of this in after.

Who is paying TEPCO to destroy Japan?
edit on 1-6-2014 by Antipathy17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 08:21 PM
a reply to: Antipathy17

This is a total guess, but I would say the most likely culprit, IF there is such a plot involving TEPCo in such a way, would be China.

China and Japan have always had an antagonistic relationship at best, and if China were going to act against Japan in any way these days, an assault which has so many effects, on the land, the people, and the economy, would be a damned comprehensive way of doing it.

This is total speculation, and I can provide no evidence to link China to the incident at present, but they are the first of the possible culprits which sprang to mind.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 08:26 PM
I am watching it now, but I don't think we have a clue as to what ramifications there will be from Fukushima until many years down the road. Even then, I feel like things will be down played the same if not more than they are now.

I have a feeling we will rue Fukishima for many, many generations.

Thanks for the share OP.

ETA - WTH are they going to do with all of that water? Are you kidding me? I didn't know they were just piling up the radioactive water like that. The whole situation is sad and absurd at the same time. It's a clusterhump to say the least. Geez...

edit on 6/1/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 08:29 PM
a reply to: TrueBrit

here u go,, gratis,

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 08:31 PM
a reply to: TrueBrit

Money hungry a/holes are doing this. This is board members worried about stock prices and lawsuits. This is a Government not wanting to be sued by the whole world, not wanting their exports halted. This is a people who never can admit to a mistake.

The only culprits here are greedy little Bs who put in a badly designed reactor meant to last 20 years and then run it for a lot longer than 20 years ...... for two reasons ....... it was still making money and ......... decommissioning a Nuclear Power Plant is hugely expensive and ..... we don't know how to do that yet.

Who designed this accident waiting to happen ...... General Electric!

Where are more of these Reactors ...... dotted all over the US.

Not good for anybody ...... but ...... profits still have to be made!

The only place to lay the blame is on the human condition of greed!

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 09:42 PM
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Tepco has already started dumping "bypass water" into the ocean.... it is supposed to be water that is diverted before it becomes contaminated.

Of all the water stored in all those tanks, the original plan was to run it through the Advanced Liquid Purification System(ALPS)... but ALPS hasn't worked correctly since day one.... it was originally built with a serious design flaw, no one took into account the particulate and colloid materials in the water, and the purification was way way less than they were advertising,,,, whether these flaws have been fixed, I do not know,,, it would have taken a complete overhaul of the ALPS to fix just that issue alone.

ALPS was supposed to render the levels of radiation in the stored water to levels that would be "safe" to dump onto the ocean... since it has never really worked... the water just keeps backing up and backing up.... more and more highly radioactive water is stored everyday.

Said it once, will say it again and again.... eventually Tepco will dump all the stored water into the Pacific ocean... they really won't have a choice... its a logistical nightmare with hundreds of tons of new water becoming contaminated every day.

Radioactive water stored in metal lined tanks has a slight little problem that Tepco was apparently unaware of. Due to the BREMSSTRAHLUNG effect, gamma rays are emitted when Cesium 137 or Strontium 90 radionuclides etc. encounter a steel wall. It generates gamma rays outside of the water tanks. This has been a problem at Fukushima for some time now. At one point, the gamma radiation was 8 times higher in the area around the tanks than the rest of the plant.

edit on R422014-06-01T21:42:46-05:00k426Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

edit on R492014-06-01T21:49:24-05:00k496Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

edit on R522014-06-01T21:52:48-05:00k526Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 09:45 PM
Meanwhile the core burn ever deeper into the Japanese substrata....contaminating as they smoulder, everything they encounter....water ground air...

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 09:54 PM
a reply to: RickinVa

Thanks for explaining that. That is just ridiculously ridiculous. It's lunacy really. There is not much about Fukushima that doesn't have me shaking my head and wondering WTH are they doing... WTH are they thinking. From the looks of it, those dealing with this mess seem to be having the exact same reaction on a daily basis. That's pretty scary if you think about it.

Heads should roll for those who build things like this with no contingency plan for emergencies. JMHO.

edit on 6/1/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 10:58 PM

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe
ETA - WTH are they going to do with all of that water? Are you kidding me? I didn't know they were just piling up the radioactive water like that. The whole situation is sad and absurd at the same time. It's a clusterhump to say the least. Geez...

What happens to that water if another tsunami happens ?

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 11:09 PM
a reply to: Antipathy17

Most probably the people that were responsible for creating the disaster in the first place.

this was not natural it was 100% done by HAARP as how could they know one week before the quake what time the quake was going to hit down to the exact minute.

date and time were shown in alphabetical and chronological order in the opening games of the japanese soccer season and hiroshima and sendaii drew 0-0 to seperate the date and time

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 05:09 AM
a reply to: RickinVa
Good video thanks for posting. I thought I would go ahead and place the video here for you.

according to the following video many places in the states have crossed evact/hazmat level status. I am not familiar with this particular poster on Youtube however she is using normal radiation detector maps.. Looks official to me/// but I am just a watcher nothing more... If true by what she is saying many places in the States are experiencing a rad level increase.

edit on 2-6-2014 by 727Sky because: added second video

new topics

top topics