It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jacksonville Implements Orwellian Police State, Going to 18,000 Homes Looking for Drugs and Guns

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   
The Jacksonville police department announced it would be knocking on 18000 homes without warrants. Can they do this? Can you still say not without a warrant?
thefreethoughtproject.com...

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: concerned190

As far as I know, they can knock all day, but they still have to ask permission to enter your home unless they have a search warrant and/or probable cause.

If they just push their way in, that's a violation of the fourth amendment which protects us from unreasonable search and seizure...

I *think* that's how it works....

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Anyone can knock at your door.

Entering your home is an entirely different matter.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 07:27 PM
link   

I don't understand. Are they entering the homes without warrants, or just knocking and asking to look? If they showed up at my door without a warrant, I would be pissed. Not because I'm doing anything illegal here, but because my peace should not be disturbed unless you have a REASON. As far as I'm concerned, this is not a valid reason.

+5 more 
posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   
My bet is that the cops will leave the more affluent neighbor hoods alone.

But the poor and minorities better be prepared to go to jail.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: andr3w68

I don't understand. Are they entering the homes without warrants, or just knocking and asking to look? If they showed up at my door without a warrant, I would be pissed. Not because I'm doing anything illegal here, but because my peace should not be disturbed unless you have a REASON. As far as I'm concerned, this is not a valid reason.

This week, the Jacksonville Sheriff’s office announced that they would be installing new security cameras around the city and knocking on more than 18,000 doors, without warrants, as a part of an initiative called “operation ceasefire".
This is what the article says so I am assuming they plan on entering homes without warrants.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 07:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

Probably so. Unless they know their rights? So that's what I'm asking I guess. If you flex your rights and say no not without a warrant will they listen? Do they have to listen?

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   

This is what the article says so I am assuming they plan on entering homes without warrants.

Why? Why do you think they would announce a program of illegal entry?

Rutherford said his officers plan to knock on 18,000 doors in an effort to reach out into the community to ask people to help them solve these crimes.

"We know the key to solving and preventing this activity is connecting with the community," Rutherford said.

news.wjct.org...

edit on 6/1/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Lee said part of the solution is to put cameras in crime hot spots.
. . .
Rutherford said the cameras will be bought though money gained by forfeiture.

He did not go into specifics about that part of the operation.

"We’re going to use the drug money we pull out of this neighborhood to protect this neighborhood,” he said.

Jacksonville police will knock on 18,000 doors in Northwest Jacksonville in an attempt to stop gun-related crime

-
CURIOUS-OBSERVATION:

Will the Police SELL these Confiscated Guns and Drugs ???

( i.e. "cameras will be bought though money gained by forfeiture" )

Who knows ???

( since "He did not go into specifics about that part of the operation.")

edit on 1-6-2014 by FarleyWayne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   

IMO you are making quite a jump thinking they will be entering houses with no warrant.
Sounds like they are just knocking.
Sure they will ask and some will say yes but without a warrant they can't come in your house.
Well unless they want to do a "wellness check" but they need a reason for that too.
Either a call about something/one in your house that may need help or if they hear someone call for help.
Nothing in your source says they will be entering homes, massively misleading title

edit on stSun, 01 Jun 2014 19:43:08 -0500America/Chicago620140880 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: concerned190

originally posted by: andr3w68

This week, the Jacksonville Sheriff’s office announced that they would be installing new security cameras around the city and knocking on more than 18,000 doors, without warrants, as a part of an initiative called “operation ceasefire".

Sounds like everyone has to know about the cameras in order for the cameras to be legal.

The downside is the logistical experience the bad machine mind will get.

"Amateurs do tactics, professionals do logistics" the History Channel

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: FarleyWayne

No, but they will sell cars and possibly real estate. And they will undoubtedly grab cash along with the drugs.

edit on 6/1/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: FarleyWayne

No, but they will sell cars and possibly real estate. And they will undoubtedly grab cash along with the drugs.

Well Phage ( the Rage ), WE finally agree on something !!!

I forgot about the possibility of confiscating Real-Property on Property where Laws-are-Broken ... ( i.e. possibly another form of Land-Grab ).

-
DISCLOSURE: Phage, a Star for You.

edit on 1-6-2014 by FarleyWayne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: concerned190
The Jacksonville police department announced it would be knocking on 18000 homes without warrants. Can they do this? Can you still say not without a warrant?
thefreethoughtproject.com...

As others have said it 100% legal as long as they dont force there way inside.

Its called knock and talk here in the UK.

I dont see a issue with it as long as they stay outside and dont come in uninvited.
edit on 1-6-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

Yeah, I can't imagine any Wall Street cokeheads or local politicians getting hauled off as a result.

If so... I say do this in every town.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 08:30 PM
link   
"We’re going to use the drug money we pull out of this neighborhood to protect this neighborhood,”

Note that the above quote says "pull out" instead of "pulled out". This indicates they plan on entering homes and finding drug money to be able to implement a forfeiture situation. Lots of LEO's will return home richer from this operation. And that is probably the main reason for it. A couple hundred bucks will buy a camera here and there. Most of the money will evaporate.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: groingrinder

It does not indicate that are going in houses....
I'm all for calling the cops out on their actions but nothing in the article talks about going in houses.
The pull out comment could be about money they pull out with the operation.
Another user hit the nail on the head imo about knocking to let people know there is cameras getting put up in the hood.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 08:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: groingrinder

"We’re going to use the drug money we pull out of this neighborhood to protect this neighborhood,”

Note that the above quote says "pull out" instead of "pulled out". This indicates they plan on entering homes and finding drug money to be able to implement a forfeiture situation. Lots of LEO's will return home richer from this operation. And that is probably the main reason for it. A couple hundred bucks will buy a camera here and there. Most of the money will evaporate.

I would be safe then. No wads of money laying around my house! Lol...

Maybe they should target the rich and the politicians and make them open up their home safes. Lord only knows what they would find in our politicians' safes...

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 08:38 PM
link   

On Tuesday, Sheriff John Rutherford held a press conference to announce a new anti-crime campaign in the northwest area of Jacksonville. The initiative, called Operation Ceasefire, began a few weeks ago and largely consists of “walk and knocks”, meaning officers are knocking on thousands of doors in the area asking for tips and information about criminal activity in the area.

benswann.com...

They are not entering homes, they are trying to get information from people that might otherwise be afraid to go to the police by going to them.
edit on 6/1/2014 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Seems to me there is a simple solution to this. If you don't wish to interact with law enforcement don't answer the door. Same as traveling salesman, eventually they will go away.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join