It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

These words are Not interchangeable

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: EnochRoot
a reply to: BuzzyWigs
You deserve a prize of some description my friend!
A badge perhaps, or maybe some sweeties....or is that candy if you're not in the UK?
I dunno...

See I said I don't speak English because I'm an American.
Sweeties, those are the people you swap spit with at the movie theaters on Friday night's.
Candy is what keeps dentists gainfully employed.
While we're on the subject, knocking someone up here in the USA means something entirely different than it does for UK. See sweeties above...
We go on vacation while holiday is federally mandated and means the banks and post office will be closed.
edit on PM000000300000000662231302014-06-01T12:31:09-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: AutumnWitch657

While we're on the subject, knocking someone up here in the USA means something entirely different than it does for UK.

Hey, did you see that recent thread with old photos?

"Knock up" was when the person would come and use a long pole to knock on your second-floor window - an early 'wake-up call'....

Yeah. But here??!!! Knocked up = Made pregnant.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: AutumnWitch657

" Not no one but myself"

Lol guess I should proof read especially on a thread such as this!
According to the T n C we are not supposed to use that form either.

It is so constant, there is hardly a sentence in some posts without WTF. My mind substitutes meaning of words as I read, and it reads pretty strange if you do that. Yes I am different. I hate profanity in general, I tend to group it with lack of education also.

15b.) Profanity: You will not use profanity in our forums on the Websites, and will neither Post with language or content that is obscene, sexually oriented, or sexually suggestive nor link to sites that contain such content. You will also not use common alternative spellings or net-speak alternative for profane words.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Maxatoria
written language normally follows the spoken form, look at our cousins across the pond and their almost religious zeal to take the letter U out of things like colour etc and for which they should be ashamed and petition to be let back under crown control

and you know a good word when you can hear it in a lot of languages and know what it is "ena biera parakalo" and "une beera sil vous plais" (been years since i did any languages other than on a computer so ignore the spelling mistakes) but from the home of democracy to the home of freedom (so long as you don't mind the NSA listening in) its pretty much obvious what both sentences mean

I Always wondered if it is, "honor or honour"... I see both used, one of them is wrong, I guess.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   
If they had read enough books, they might have picked up on the slang, and then been properly educated.

Coulda, shoulda, woulda.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: EnochRoot

I never really learned English the right way - and it shows

But I love it - I love language. That covers a lot of territory - including art. I love it proper - with all the rules. I love it broken into a million bits and pieces. It's always evolving, merging - becoming something brand new. Seems to me if you can communicate what you mean to say, and you are understood - it's language :-)

I recently read something about our brains being wired for grammar rules from birth but can't find it - this is as close as I can get:
Bilingual babies know their grammar by 7 months

Grammar errors? The brain detects them even when you are unaware

I know someone who would like to have had English frozen in time - around 1950 or so. Nothing that happened to English after that meets with his approval - so teenagers drive him nuts. It's interesting though how many permanent language changes come from teenagers and younger people in general - like language is a plaything, and what's been established just doesn't say what they need to say in the way they want to say it

We couldn't have poetry if we played by the rules - or songs

Still - I love the rules too. And - I know when they've been broken even when I can't really explain how or why

edit on 6/1/2014 by Spiramirabilis because: language - and grammar - I think :-)

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis
I have a huuuge hardback dictionary printed in 1958.
It's the best dictionary I have ever owned. It's my go to for those really obscure words.
The downside is that there are words about now that didn't exist in 1958. That's what the internet is for I suppose.

I've owned 3: the hardback, a pocket Oxford - which is okay & a dictionary/thesaurus that cost me £1.49. I got about £1.49 worth of words in that heap of junk!

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   

The thing about language changing - and sometimes passing us by - is that there are some incredibly lovely, useful, important and powerful words that just aren't used anymore. And phrases - sentence structures - all of it...

I think there's a reason why Shakespeare is still so popular - beyond the story telling and characters. It's an orgy of gorgeous language - meaning hidden in meaning - hidden in more meaning - like a dream. Just the sound of it is mesmerizing

I love those old dictionaries too :-)

We had one that was enormous - been in the family for years. Most delicate paper you ever saw, teeny tiny print - magical. Honestly - when I was a kid it was like owning a book of incantations

When I think (knowing something about organizing and printing things now) how much work went into creating that dictionary way back when (late 1800s) I am so impressed - a labor of love and a dedication to language that I think we can't appreciate the same way today

Or - maybe we do. It's just so different now - everything at our fingertips and all :-)

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   
On the topic of language and grammar, Etc...

The words, 'twerking', and 'selfie', have recently made it into the Oxford dictionary.

*sigh* (-_-' )

I digress...

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   

TextSeriously? You might have a case if English isn't your primary language, but probably not. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

English is (or was) not my primary language. I'll tell you a secret. The first reason I joined ATS was to improve my English. I do not like how "Hip Hop Culture" is destroying this and other languages. Abbreviations are a big problem too, a lazy way of communication, with exceptions for technical reasons.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: iunlimited491
Okay, twerking is a new one on me.
Well, it was...until I looked it up & then viewed some you tube just to give me an idea.
That's three & a half minutes of my life I'm never going to get back.

The times they are a changin'...

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Prolly, (Probably) is one of those words I see used that drives me insane, along with "Look Over Their", or "There names were" ( lot of time were becomes where, and there should their ), and the all time favorite is getting to and too mixed up which happens constantly here and I have even seen the "To-Too" mistake made in the titles of threads.

I haven't seen "intoo" yet but probably only missed it or discounted it...

These are products of a failing educational system and overly short attention spans which is an epidemic in this world.

Hey, look over they're, that guy prolly don't no wut he bee doin anyways....

It's like living in the south, but wait, I do....

...Now that someone brought up grammar and spelling here...

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Nowadays we have to look things up to see if they are perceived as real www.merriam-webster.com...

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Profanity isn't a sign of a poor education. I learned some of my best curse words in the school yard.

f reply to: Char-Lee

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Everything's at our fingertips alright. I have Webster's, the Oxford,a French to English and an Italian To English dictionaries on my kindle. a reply to: Spiramirabilis

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: MinangATS

As far as I'm aware, in some parts of the world this is actually spelt, Ewes. Wales and New Zealand come to mind.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

Note to Admin; Spelt ( or Spelled ) is actually a word, please feel free to add it to your dictionary.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Wow!

No one brought up my pet peeve.

Your vs. You're

You are your own person.

I would like to propose that you're be spelled yure from now on. Might catch on, might not, yall.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I have seen ads on Craigslist for chester drawers (chest of drawers) and a rod iron bed (wrought iron).

Also (especially on Facebook) I see "to" used instead of "too", which leads to ambiguity. As in, "I am am going to."

Really? To where?

Ugh

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: MinangATS

I think they use it the same way in Liverpool amongst the proper scousers.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Sorry people dont hate me but it just kinda slipped out when referring to a music video as sick

Also why am I seeing more often the word brought when referring to buying an item such as "I just brought this" its bought isnt it ?

<< 1  2   >>

join