It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

These words are Not interchangeable

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: chelsdh
Hahaha.... true, true.

When I still had facebook I saw a post concerning "hammy downs". Hand me downs.

How the f&#k does one get hammy out of hand me? Needless to say, it irked me, but it also made me laugh my ass off! And now I always say hammy downs in mind, and it has brought me many smiles :-)

What's even better is this was in a community page, for buying and selling used clothes, hand me downs, and I have no idea who the chick was, but she is known as the hammy downs lady among a lot of the page's users.

Now see I could rant forever over this...your use

How the f&#k

Sickens me...and what does

laugh my ass off!

Mean? I hate this kind of language that I find ridiculous! I wish people would think about the meaning of what they are saying!
edit on 1-6-2014 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: EnochRoot

I understand the "of " thing. It's from the spoken word. The abbreviation of "have". I get it.

I don't get it, how is of an abbreviation of have? Could you use an example sentence that would allow them to interchange?

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   

After i read your rant...I thought...what is this person really upset about; I think it may be other than what you have stated.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Char-Lee
Have I been that unclear?
I'll try again.

I understand how the incorrect use occurs, it is as AutumnWitch657 has mentioned;
It comes from the phonetics. "Could've" when spoken becomes "could of" when written - to some people.
As I say, the words are NOT interchangeable. Never.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   
And really ...whats the point of the u in there? Just using it so it doesn't realize that e is the favorite or should that be favourite ?LOL. I'm American I don't speak English.
a reply to: Maxatoria

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: caladonea

You are joking, right?

Please tell me you're joking...

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: EnochRoot
Have I been that unclear?
I'll try again.

I understand how the incorrect use occurs, it is as AutumnWitch657 has mentioned;
It comes from the phonetics. "Could've" when spoken becomes "could of" when written - to some people.
As I say, the words are NOT interchangeable. Never.

Thanks got it...no I just didn't get it, of, have.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: MinangATS

How about YOUS, a plural of YOU, you hear it a lot in Pennsylvania, as in "how are yous guys doing".

I had a girl in a bar tell me they taught her that at school!!!
I left it alone - she was happy...

I don't view myself as a grammar nazi, but some things really wind me up. "Kindve" kinda broke the camel's back with this one.
that's one of those life lessons. Never argue with a drunk. LOL.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   

You are joking, right?

Please tell me you're joking...

No...I am not joking...I stated my opinion; that is all.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   
What about height? It used to be said hite to rhyme with kite. Now it's higth so it sounds like it belongs with width. Which it does but it was never said that way. Height with a hard t like weight. English is evolving. Well it's to be expected otherwise we'd still be saying thee and thou. reply to: Benevolent Heretic

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I hear ya, bro!!

It's could "HAVE", would "HAVE", should "HAVE" - although I'm okay with coulda, shoulda, woulda - (except, you should never talk about those - they're pessimist terms. What's done is done.)

Also, it's ONE AND THE SAME - not One In The Same.

I could add in so many different complaints!!

they're there their
using "past tense" after "have" - such as "i could have came yesterday". OR WORSE - I could of came yesterday!!!!

GHA!!!!!!!!

Linguist at heart. Bilingual....

drives me nuts.

I BLAME THE TEACHERS.
I hate being a grammar nazi, but sometimes, well - it needs to be said. It makes me cringe when otherwise very articulate posts are written with improper grammar......"I had went" - or - "it had came and went"....

NO! It Had COME and GONE!!!

and I sometimes mix up its and it's while typing....

"ITS" is possessive, as in "look at that tree, its bark is falling off!" And there is also no apostraphe in THEIRS. Nor in OURS.

as opposed to IT IS (it's)...."look at that tree, it's falling apart!" "There's a tree falling apart!"

sigh.
my parents made me like this. .... good grammar was drilled into us.

good rant!!

"Hammy downs?" CLASSIC!!!!

Yeah, AXED cracks me up. Valentimes instead of Valentine's Day. Birfday. Incendinary. Used to bug the crap out of me, but I've learned to let it go.
Patience learned me that.

One thing I think is charming though, when foreigners use English...."I did it by my own". (Anytime an ESL person tries, I appreciate it - and when I'm speaking my second language, I know I make goofs - it's not a huge problem. Don't be embarrassed to try at a foreign language - people are not laughing AT you for making mistakes - they are charmed.....I'll never forget a movie I saw where a foreigner was at a celebration of some kind, raised his glass and said, "I would like to make some toast." LOL!!)

But, 'kinda' is a word. And it is not short for "KIND HAVE" - it's short for KIND OF.

PEDANTICS UNITE!!!

edit on 6/1/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

Oh, and the correct term is "I could NOT care less." I couldn't care less. Not "I could care less." That implies you care, folks.

Ok, Ima go now. (Imagine people learning English hearing us say, "Ahmunna" - Ahmunna go to the store. Same thing in every language.
Contractions, mistakes, etc. But when it's your OWN, NATIVE language - it's deserving of care.)
edit on 6/1/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: typos and grammar, close parentheses!!!! gha!

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Wellllllllll, I suppose, I'm short & have no girlfriend.
I'm also unhappy with English in the UK turning into American English.

There could be a list.......

edit on 1-6-2014 by EnochRoot because: addition

edit on 1-6-2014 by EnochRoot because: alteration

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Who are they? Where do they live? No I make a point of saying all of you myself because my very Brooklyn dad said things like yous which sounded like yuz rhyming with was or yiz rhyming with wiz . And things like tree for three .Example yiz are all crazy. Yuz better get out of there before I count to tree.

edit on AMu30u0662243302014-06-01T11:43:46-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Wellllllllll, I suppose, I'm short & have no girlfriend.
I'm also unhappy with English in the UK turning into American English.

There could be a list.......

You...Sir...have a delicious sense of humor...I like that! There are not many replies that have me smiling from ear to ear.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: AutumnWitch657

Good point! Height - HITE.

Also - Eighth - is pronounced AITH....not ATE-TH...

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657
My peeve is when people substitute prolly for the word probably.
I'll prolly be home late .

I hear probly all the time. My Father-in-law says bekwist for breakfast, biddness for business among many other things that cause my teeth to grind.

I not no one but myself ever seems to have a problem with WTF being substituted for real words...tiring.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Wow. What a wonderful thing to say.
I'm speechless. Thank you.

I think it's probably better to make people smile rather than frown

edit on 1-6-2014 by EnochRoot because: correction

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Char-Lee

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657
My peeve is when people substitute prolly for the word probably.
I'll prolly be home late .

I hear probly all the time. My Father-in-law says bekwist for breakfast, biddness for business among many other things that cause my teeth to grind.

I not no one but myself ever seems to have a problem with WTF being substituted for real words...tiring.

That's because we're not allowed to say WTF on here.
That's part of the texting culture which has had it's own affect on language.

And ummmm can I just point out..." Not no one but myself"
That's a double negative and should be " not anyone but myself."
edit on PM000000300000000662222302014-06-01T12:22:10-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs
You deserve a prize of some description my friend!
A badge perhaps, or maybe some sweeties....or is that candy if you're not in the UK?
I dunno...

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   

I don't so much do sugar - but, a beer would be good, though!!!! Let's get pissed! (As in "drunk/tipsy" - not American 'angry')

Thank's for you're post.

Just kidding - thanks for your post.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join