It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama eat your heart out, Now this, this, is a message...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+26 more 
posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Navy SEAL Commander Tells Students To Make Their Beds Every Morning In Incredible Commencement Speech

Here are McRaven's 10 lessons from his years of experience as a Navy SEAL, via University of Texas, Austin:

I have been a Navy SEAL for 36 years. But it all began when I left UT for Basic SEAL training in Coronado, California.

Basic SEAL training is six months of long torturous runs in the soft sand, midnight swims in the cold water off San Diego, obstacles courses, unending calisthenics, days without sleep and always being cold, wet and miserable.

It is six months of being constantly harassed by professionally trained warriors who seek to find the weak of mind and body and eliminate them from ever becoming a Navy SEAL.

But, the training also seeks to find those students who can lead in an environment of constant stress, chaos, failure and hardships.

To me basic SEAL training was a life time of challenges crammed into six months.

So, here are the ten lesson's I learned from basic SEAL training that hopefully will be of value to you as you move forward in life...

I think these are words of wisdom based on real world experiences, not some poorly scripted speech. You can tell who speaks from the heart vs those who attempt *poorly in some recent cases* to get their agenda across...

Make your bed!

edit on 1-6-2014 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

What does this have to do with Obama?

EDIT Haven't watched the video. Only read the excerpt, so maybe spoke too soon. Will watch when I have time.
edit on 6/1/2014 by intelligenthoodlum33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   

I wouldn't be too surprised if those scripted speeches from "our representatives" are written by 5* Generals & the likes of this gentleman...

Powerful opening words none the less!!!
I'll now indulge in the full video & return soon!!!

Peace Slayer!!!

Edit: Great shout on the authenticity & genuine sense of overall reality in this man's words!!!
Powerful speech, & no doubt very informative words for anybody to live by!!!
edit on 1-6-2014 by CharlieSpeirs because: Stated!!!

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: intelligenthoodlum33

Obama's not a former serviceman and is therefore... I dunno. Comm'nist atheist sooper seekrit muslim?

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 08:38 AM
link   

I think what Slayer is saying, and you need to watch the video to understand, is that McRaven sounds genuine during his speech, Obama, not so much.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Good advice. Especially good for a spoiled generation.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 08:57 AM
link   
What a great speech ! Thank you for posting... It brings back many memories of words we should all strive for. S&F

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   
This is the difference between a person that has honor and integrity still in his life as apposed to a two bit lying community organizer that used his commencement speech as nothing more then a campaign stop.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   

EDIT Haven't watched the video. Only read the excerpt, so maybe spoke too soon. Will watch when I have time.

This speech is a direct comparison to the graduation speech Obama gave at the West Point graduation. Quite a difference.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Guess which one Obama is, and which one McRaven is.

edit on 1-6-2014 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   
For everyone who complains why they don't get why Obama was mentioned or what any of this is about, try watching the video or at least reading the transcript on the link.

What's the point of clicking on threads in ats if you're not willing to look into something.

I read his message and very much agree with it. I have a profound respect for SEALs and the training they are required to go through.

I graduate from college next year. Supposedly I come from the "spoiled" generation since I never had to walk 5 miles to go to school (both ways of course). I work hard to support my wife right now and hopefully, my future family. And after I graduate I have to pay off school loans and find a job in this troubling economy, just like the rest of you. Not feeling so spoiled now...

For everyone who loves to blanket a group of people under one definition, try remembering to measure a person by the size of their heart, not the size of their flippers.

Thanks for the thread Slayer, uplifting and motivational threads are few and far between sometimes on this website.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   

What a wonderful and very inspiring speech. Thanks for sharing.

leolady

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

That pretty much nailed it in a nutshell. I couldn't help but to notice that in almost 20 minutes of speaking that man never uttered a single uh or ummm. He spoke with such conviction and clarity, the traits you would hope to see in a true leader. I know I certainly wouldn't mind someone like him leading our country.

I guess it helps also when as the speaker you actually believe in the words coming out of your mouth.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   

What has Obama got do with a guy making comments I have heard made by my elders (those who bake and knit and don't kill) on numerous occasions?

Edit: seeing as this forum is as close to an internet cage fight as you can get, will you Americans ever be satisfied in a leader of the nation. Once Obama goes the same nonsense and dissatisfaction will be peddled across these boards. Maybe I have this wrong and politics today is about who can whine the most among the electorate and who can hoodwink the most among the politicians.
edit on 1-6-2014 by LarryLove because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   
McRaven gives a good message....

However:

He is not a politician
He is not a president or prime minister of a country

Therefore, he is allowed to speak from the heart rather than having other people write out his speech's for him having to be ever-so-cautious with what and how something is said. Politicians speak from a mindset that will get them the majority vote... This is the way it's always been, and it's the way it always will be.

Politicians are a completely different breed of people. It doesn't matter which politician you sit on the throne, they're all cut from the same cloth.

It's rather silly to try to compare a politician with a non-politician.

McRaven has total free reign to say what he wants, presidents and prime ministers do not... they have other people to answer to.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Great find and great advise. Shared this with all my kids.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   
The lesson should probably be something like: believe in yourself, not a politician...

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

McRaven has total free reign to say what he wants, presidents and prime ministers do not... they have other people to answer to.

Obama answers to no one other than his own personal Jesus, of which he is reminded of every time he looks in the mirror, so your conclusion makes no sense.

Also, he's in his second term, so there's not much risk in speaking his mind.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: BestinShow

And people wonder why we cant take a segment of american society seriously, obama is the same puppet than the guy you voted for.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: LarryLove

Edit: seeing as this forum is as close to an internet cage fight as you can get, will you Americans ever be satisfied in a leader of the nation.

I guess we would have to have a true leader in the white house to find out for sure. The person currently filling the position is far from a leader. A leader unites the people of the nation they are leading not divide them further.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join