It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where is your culture?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Someone made a point about their culture becoming lost because their county is being infiltrated by American culture... (i'm assuming they mean pop culture and hollywood stuff?)

So, what part of your culture has changed or is becoming extinct?

Have you changed your culture or mixed both together, what did you do?

[Edited on 30-11-2004 by TrueLies]

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 12:00 PM
link   
oops hiccup

[edit on 11-30-2004 by worldwatcher]

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I believe I have successfully integrated my culture with American Culture. I am of Indian/hindu descent and I follow many cultural traditions, however I have omitted some of the more outlandish, ignornant thinking that can be found in my culture and meshed with a more american way of thinking. There is good and bad ideology in all cultures, I hope i am intelligent enough to only retain the good and put the bad aspects behind.

So Did I lose my culture? NO, but I do admit to having changed it due to American influences. what I like about my culture is the beauty of our traditional rituals, art, music and foods.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Actually the American culture is some what younger than the culture of the countries in Europe and middle east.

We have to take in consideration that US is a melting pot of various races, values and views.

I have my Hispanic culture still with me but like worldwatcher has been mix with the American views.

When I said Spanish culture, I am talking of the old world.

I think I have become independent on my views and values here in the US because I don't have the influences of my family back home.

Usually your family will play a big role on the way you became in your society.

This reminds me of a very good friend my daughter has she is from Pakistan, actually she also has a Hindu friend also and they all get together with not problems.

They said that they problems with their countries are back home.

She is to do her prayers every day and she is to eat only certain food. Well when she is with her American friends she forgets her prayers and she eats anything she wants.

So I guess it depends how you are surrounds by that you may acquire other people�s behavior.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 12:16 PM
link   
What, exactly, is "American Culture"? We are such a diverse collection of many different cultures do we really have a true American identity? (If you mean the crud spewed from t.v. and Hollywood invading other countries then I see your point).

The point could also be made that the different cultures within the states are starting to fade into each other and in the not too distant future there will be more of an American identity, imho.

Nice topic.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Katolu
What, exactly, is "American Culture"? We are such a diverse collection of many different cultures do we really have a true American identity? (If you mean the crud spewed from t.v. and Hollywood invading other countries then I see your point).

The point could also be made that the different cultures within the states are starting to fade into each other and in the not too distant future there will be more of an American identity, imho.

Nice topic.

yeah, thats what I mean.....I'm aware that America was and is still a melting pot, it's great because you have a wide variety of cultures to experience...
I'm trying to get more culture in my life because I find other countries food, customs, and especially beer, scrumptious...

I forgot to mention that in my first post. Colonial America would be old America no? Let's not forget the Indians, but i'm not aware of their culture around here... Do they have restaurants or pow wow's or anything anywhere?? That would be intersting to experience their culture, values, and customs...

And colonial America was it not pretty much old england values and tradition?? Just curious, i'm not to educated in this area...

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Erf. I promised myself I'd stay out of this one and spare everyone the Anthropology 101 lecture on what culture is and groups and so on and so forth, but... some things are just TOO tempting to avoid responding to:

Originally posted by TrueLiesI forgot to mention that in my first post. Colonial America would be old America no? Let's not forget the Indians, but i'm not aware of their culture around here... Do they have restaurants or pow wow's or anything anywhere?? That would be intersting to experience their culture, values, and customs...

No to the restaurants, yes to pow wows. Google for them and you can find public pow wows (there's several every single weekend of the year.) Best way to do it is to go and observe. There's some things that are offensive to them (mentioning you're part Indian will make them suspicious)

First time out, leave the cameras at home. If you're polite and observe and ask questions courteously, you'll be welcomed. And the more you go back to, the more you learn of the culture.

And DO avoid mentioning any "new age" stuff (totems, shamanism, medicine, etc.) Hooboy... will THAT get you into trouble!

And colonial America was it not pretty much old england values and tradition?? Just curious, i'm not to educated in this area...

"Colonial American" culture was another hodge-podge. You had religious sects (some of which were very extreme) who lived in culture groups, then you had the French, the Spanish, the English, the Dutch (etc, etc) and then there was the difference between the ones who lived in towns and those who lived in the wilderness.

There were many different cusoms. We *assume* they had English customs that weren't much different than modern England. In truth, this was not the case (for instance, it wasn't unusual for couples to live together without being married (waiting till the preacher came around before formalizing the marriage.)) You could be beaten for not paying attention in church, for example (and church attendance was mandatory.)

So it wasn't just one culture; it was hundreds of them.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 01:35 PM
link   
still is, really.

there are false, forced cultures that have become real, like the whole hollywood thing, the metrosexual thing, the goth thing, i guess more like a subculture, but whatever..... in this day and age one major culture conflict is still city folk versus country folk, urban ideals vs. rural ideals. as we saw in the latest election, they are very, very different. you've got southern culture, midwest, east coast, west coast, southwest, central, and then on top, or in between these you have various ethnic cultures from all around the world, native cultures, etc. not saying these are names of cultures, but that views seem to differ by region, ethnicity, upbringing, proximity, whether rural or urban, finances, etc.

.o2

top topics

join