It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Officially Corroborates Evidence For Ancient UFO Sightings

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+66 more 
posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 06:26 AM
link   
After reading a rather intruiging document which is publicly available on official NASA servers (link), I have come to the conclusion that the space agency itself considers some ancient UFO sightings to be equivalent to modern-day UFO reports and possibly of otherworldly origin.

In other words: this publication strongly suggests that certain ancient sightings, especially those with many witnesses, are not natural celestial phenomena but something entirely different altogether. This is noteworthy because the author, Richard B. Stothers (who unfortunately passed away in 2011), was an established astronomer and scientist with 200+ publications incl. subjects like stellar evolution, cometary impacts, Earth's magnetic reversals and many more. This makes him a quite credible person when it comes to excluding known & natural explanations from the equation.

In his paper "Unidentified Flying Objects in Classical Antiquity" (PDF), R. Stothers presents a careful selection of reports about bizarre & puzzling aerial phenomena that can be traced back to a number of credible historical sources, eg. greek and roman chroniclers & historians such as Livy and Plutarch.

Among others, he references the following historical UFO descriptions:

The most remarkable thing about Stothers' analysis is his background in astronomy and astrophysics which he applies to different cases in order to see to what extent they could represent comets, asteroids, bolides or other celestial phenomena.

But he also notes that especially the greek and roman scholars were well aware of things like mirages, eclipses, celestial impactors and their implications. That's why he refers to those specific sources, because he rightfully asserts that these chroniclers would only mention testimonies that were truly inexplicable at the time despite a high level of awareness regarding natural aerial phenomena.

Accordingly, R. Stother's own conclusions leave little to no room for speculation regarding the main message of his essay:

In summary, I think that Stother's analysis is an important contribution in terms of documenting a phenomenon that displays a continuity throughout decades and centuries of human history. The parallels to modern-day UFO reports are IMO obvious and the fact that this publication is hosted on the nasa.gov domain shows that these ancient sightings are considered significant and important, even from an official standpoint.

A final question could be:

Does all this lead to historical reports now being a new "known variable" in the big UFO equation? Or can we still go ahead and interpret all these strange phenomena in the sky as hallucinations and misinterpretations by generations of intelligent & educated people throughout human history?

Source & Links:
-------------------------------
1. NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies
2. Unidentified Flying Objects in Classical Antiquity (PDF)
3. Biography of R.B. Stothers on Princeton Alumni Weekly
4. Other Publications by Richard B. Stothers
5. More information about Titus Livius Patavinus (Livy)
6. Plutarch's Account of the UFO at Phyrgia in 74 BCE
7. Autobiography of Historian Titus Flavius Josephus
edit on 1-6-2014 by jeep3r because: formatting, changed image

+3 more 
posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 06:38 AM
link   
a reply to: jeep3r

The older I get it seems I grow more skeptical about UFO's. When I was a kid I was gung ho about them and figured they had to be piloted by space aliens and all of that. Now I'm not so sure they even exist. I'm not sure what it is people are seeing, as not all of these sightings are hoaxes, but I can no longer put any stock in the idea of craft that are piloted by aliens. Misidentifications probably make up the vast majority of reports, I would think.

At any rate, I found your thread very well written, and interesting. I love threads where I get to learn something, and I found this one particularly informative, even if I might not draw the same conclusions you have. S&F!

+13 more 
posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 06:47 AM
link   
a reply to: DeadSeraph

Now I'm not so sure they even exist. I'm not sure what it is people are seeing, as not all of these sightings are hoaxes, but I can no longer put any stock in the idea of craft that are piloted by aliens.

How do you think any of the reports and UFO cases in this document could be a hoax back in 200 BCE?

It would have been impossible to have engineered a hoax, even if they wanted to.

If not ET visitors controlling these craft, what?

I suppose it is possible that they are Humans, using technology from a lost but extremely advanced civilisation that came before, or perhaps even dimensional travelers from a distant future on a history class expedition...but if that is possible and readily believable, then surely so is the possibility of ET's piloting craft from other systems.

It is interesting that NASA holds documents such as this.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in a few closed session meetings for the NASA top brass.
edit on 1-6-2014 by MysterX because: typo

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 06:50 AM
link   

interesting thread Jeep3r, looks to me as if there been a long haul of interference,
I sometimes wonder what, but what with all the Romi curses of late its left me a little beleaguered .
I wonder if that guy from Nasa *rip* read any of Charles forts books, he dug back quite a way too ,Ariel phenomena dating back centurys and centurys.

certainly no coincidence reportings /sightings/recordings/ date back millennium

I wonder where its all going ?

funBox

+23 more 
posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 06:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: DeadSeraph

The older I get it seems I grow more skeptical about UFO's.

Funny enough, the older I get, the more I realise that Aliens are real. I mean, we're here are we not? and living in a dynamic biosphere. Isn't that enough to chew on?

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 07:07 AM
link   
It's very interesting, after being a believer myself I am beginning to lean towards other
theories based on the double slit experiment
where such crafts or phenomena only exist when observed and exhibit patterns of behaviour based on the observers expectations that's if it were true that everything we see us projected by our own consoiusness however the ancients must have known something about this for it to be passed down different generations through systems such as reiki and other beliefs from the east in places like India.

originally posted by: jeep3r
After reading a rather intruiging document which is publicly available on official NASA servers (link), I have come to the conclusion that the space agency itself considers some ancient UFO sightings to be equivalent to modern-day UFO reports and possibly of otherworldly origin.

In other words: this publication strongly suggests that certain ancient sightings, especially those with many witnesses, are not natural celestial phenomena but something entirely different altogether. This is noteworthy because the author, Richard B. Stothers (who unfortunately passed away in 2011), was an established astronomer and scientist with 200+ publications incl. subjects like stellar evolution, cometary impacts, Earth's magnetic reversals and many more. This makes him a quite credible person when it comes to excluding known & natural explanations from the equation.

In his paper "Unidentified Flying Objects in Classical Antiquity" (PDF), R. Stothers presents a careful selection of reports about bizarre & puzzling aerial phenomena that can be traced back to a number of credible historical sources, eg. greek and roman chroniclers & historians such as Livy and Plutarch.

Among others, he references the following historical UFO descriptions:

The most remarkable thing about Stothers' analysis is his background in astronomy and astrophysics which he applies to different cases in order to see to what extent they could represent comets, asteroids, bolides or other celestial phenomena.

But he also notes that especially the greek and roman scholars were well aware of things like mirages, eclipses, celestial impactors and their implications. That's why he refers to those specific sources, because he rightfully asserts that these chroniclers would only mention testimonies that were truly inexplicable at the time despite a high level of awareness regarding natural aerial phenomena.

Accordingly, R. Stother's own conclusions leave little to no room for speculation regarding the main message of his essay:

In summary, I think that Stother's analysis is an important contribution in terms of documenting a phenomenon that displays a continuity throughout decades and centuries of human history. The parallels to modern-day UFO reports are IMO obvious and the fact that this publication is hosted on the nasa.gov domain shows that these ancient sightings are considered significant and important, even from an official standpoint.

A final question could be:

Does all this lead to historical reports now being a new "known variable" in the big UFO equation? Or can we still go ahead and interpret all these strange phenomena in the sky as hallucinations and misinterpretations by generations of intelligent & educated people throughout human history?

Source & Links:
-------------------------------
1. NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies
2. Unidentified Flying Objects in Classical Antiquity (PDF)
3. Biography of R.B. Stothers on Princeton Alumni Weekly
4. Other Publications by Richard B. Stothers
5. More information about Titus Livius Patavinus (Livy)
6. Plutarch's Account of the UFO at Phyrgia in 74 BCE
7. Autobiography of Historian Titus Flavius Josephus

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 07:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: funbox

interesting thread Jeep3r, looks to me as if there been a long haul of interference, I sometimes wonder what, but what with all the Romi curses of late its left me a little beleaguered. I wonder if that guy from Nasa *rip* read any of Charles forts books, he dug back quite a way too ,Ariel phenomena dating back centurys and centurys.

certainly no coincidence reportings /sightings/recordings/ date back millennium
I wonder where its all going ?

Exactly, here we've got someone who published a paper like that with NASA's official consent. To me, this is pretty much a confession on their behalf that there's indeed something extraordinary to UFO sightings. And further, that credible witnesses in the past were most probably not fantasizing (at least in those cases that are well documented).

The next important question would be: what else is known (beyond of what is being published here) with regard to the UFO phenomenon? Which details are currently being withheld from the public?

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I am confused.

So is nasa interested in disclosure or not..

Why is this on Nasa servers?

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 08:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy

originally posted by: DeadSeraph

The older I get it seems I grow more skeptical about UFO's.

Funny enough, the older I get, the more I realise that Aliens are real. I mean, we're here are we not? and living in a dynamic biosphere. Isn't that enough to chew on?

But there's a massive difference between aliens existing, somewhere, which I'm sure they do, and aliens visiting Earth, for which there is no evidence at all.

Just because you believe that mankind is not alone in the universe (and believing that we are would be a very arrogant viewpoint) doesn't mean you have to believe that "UFOs" have anything to do with aliens.

I'm certainly in that camp: aliens are "out there" but they are not, and never have been, "down here".

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Given that these sort of sightings have been regular and consistent throughout the ages, Strother is right on!

This planet has been visited many times over the centuries and more.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: kauskau
I am confused.

So is nasa interested in disclosure or not..

Why is this on Nasa servers?

Because a not insignificant part of NASA's research interests involve the search for extraterrestrial life.

This is clearly a speculative paper but why do you think it so surprising that NASA would be interested in the topic?

You seem to have a crazy idea that NASA is all about denying the possibility of alien life, which is nonsense. NASA would LOVE to find alien life.

It's not about "disclosure" which seems to be a favourite word on ATS. There is no secret to disclose when it comes to ET life. NASA are looking for it, as are lots of other people. So far, nobody has found it.
edit on 1-6-2014 by Rob48 because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Rob48

no..i think there are people at nasa and airforce who know that ET exists..

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Well, you're wrong. It makes a good story, but real life doesn't work like that.

+8 more 
posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   

thats a valid argument lol

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   
IT was most likely a small childs kite that cut loose in the wind, or a 'lenticular cloud' often mistaken for a UFO

originally posted by: jeep3r

edit on Sun Jun 1 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: Quote Crash Course

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   
For my money I don't think he's confirming the existence of Alien visitations, what he is confirming is a much longer history of the reporting of UFO phenomena - specifically weird stuff that sounds a lot like modern weird stuff with no immediately apparent explanation.

A back of background research shows that Stothers was a respected astrophysicist, who had a sideline in researching historical documents to glean information of use in modern studies. Sadly he is no longer with us

paw.princeton.edu...

The difference between, say, a Roman reporting an odd apparition in the sky and a modern one is that the Roman would not have a massive cultural background full of science fiction books, comics and films from which to draw comparisons. They were not informed by well established social memes, so they didn't immediately shout "Aliens"!

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: DeadSeraph

you just grow more cynical as you age... like the rest of us. Thats all. There's no need for a 1000 word paragraph.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Oopsie, I made an early morning reading error, ignore this post. lol

edit on 1-6-2014 by Necrobile because: not awake yet, made reading error

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

If one is perceptive and used to reading people and situations as part of their sh.t busting career then one would know that out of 5 people at least 2 to 3 would be easily preceived as lying. I do not see 1 individual to be lying here.
We are not alone and never have been!!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join