It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The COCA LEAF Thread

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 05:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: LightningStrikesHere
I would like to see the long term effects on the body .. And teeth..also the heart..

Intresting topic , no doubt!

S&F

Good question, to answer that I'll share with you a document made for the Department of Odontology of the University of Federico Villarreal (Peru). Just the title will be an answer :

"EFFECTIVENESS OF THE MASTICATION OF THE LEAF OF COCA IN THE PREVENTION OF THE DENTAL CAVITY IN THE POPULATED CENTER SAN JUAN OF THE FREEDOM HUASAHUASI – TARMA IN 2008".

This research was aimed to link the effectiveness of the chewing of coca leaves in preventing tooth decay in the chewing and for not chewing coca leaves. In the phase of research assessed the CPOD And CPOS, which used a form of research type test, in the
town San Juan de la Libertad Huasahuasi. We found significant differences in the values of the indices in these epidemiological CPOD with the settlers to the chewing habit is: 11.58 and is not habit: 17.3 and the PSC with the chewing habit is: 39.76 and is not habit: 49.80, the habit was present in greater proportion in the male Therefore we concluded that the chewing of coca leaves have fewer cavities than those who do not have this habit. Significant differences were found between the presence of cavities, the
time and frequency of the habit. These research results updated information on existing studies by others.

www.cop.org.pe...

Also....

... The amount of calcium containing 100 grams of dried leaf is 2,196 mg versus 120 mg of fresh cow's milk.

- Strengthens and regenerates in a relatively short time, bones and other bony parts of the body.

Here are the contraindications :

Rational consumption as we recommend, we have found no contraindication to date. Just as a precaution the use of coca flour should be small at the beginning starting with a quarter teaspoon.

Studies on pregnant women have not been studied. In some communities in the central highlands abusers have seen no problem. Friends and relatives have not felt pregnant negative effects to the consumption of this flour.

Hyperactive children must detox first and start with coca tea or fortified foods and then gradually with flour, consuming the tip of the spoon. In this case, it is essential to accompany this with a total dietary change and the elimination of processed foods that contain chemical additives.

People with heart disease, heart affected, should limit their consumption of coca tea.

Bedridden and infirm people can start their tea consumption and later move on to some flour or chewable leaves.

In all these individual cases, caution must be avoided by drinking coca with lime llipta, baking soda or boiled to avoid increasing heart rate and the extra energy as the case may be counterproductive. It is always recommended to consult your doctor before use.

www.inkanatural.com...
edit on 1-6-2014 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 05:44 AM
link   
There have been a lot of studies into the effects and health consequences of ingesting coca. Unfortunately, the embargo on coke impacts the studies of coca so we see fewer studies since the 'war on drugs' went global. Back in the 70s there were a rash of studies into its effects on exercise, depression and sleep and they've tailed off from the 80s to now.

Examples - Effects of coca chewing on metabolic and hormonal changes during graded incremental exercise to maximum (1996) Here's the pdf

The therapeutic value of coca in contemporary medicine (1981)

Regarding dental health? There was a study back in 1968 that linked coca use to bad dental health and associated it with hook worms. The paper was cited 41 times although it might not be as definitive as it once appeared. Similar studies would be more likely to address socio-economic conditions and it's possible that dental health has improved without necessarily seeing the usage decrease.

Another, older study (1978) into health effects of chewing coca in Peru summarised with these concerns (not conclusions):

You'll notice (if you read it) the summary identifies issues with intelligence. There's a suspicion that coca chewing *might* make folk more stupid and that it's hard to tell in a poor, agricultural economy. Maybe that's true? The same could be said for alcohol use in other poor, agricultural economies too. That isn't my way of saying coca is a good thing, it's just making the point that societies in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 05:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: queenofsheba
Hi you, starred and flagged. I think indigenous plants that are used by cultures for survival reasons and/or religious religions certainly shouldn't be offensive to others' points of views. I took a course in college and my professor specifically talked about the coca leaf and how it was used in famine situations to allow the people to take long trips, etc. to get to their goals and it wasn't viewed as "recreational" in any means, way, shape or form. She explained to me and the class that it is when a "drug" is taken out of it's cultural context and is used for recreation that it then becomes a problem. I get that, I respect that and never forgot that.

a reply to: Trueman

You had a good teacher, she is right. When the spaniards came, the natives were forced to work in bad conditions, no food and no time to rest. They survived thanks to the coca. The owners of the land knew perfectly the people were chewing coca in the fields and allowed that because was cheeper than food.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 06:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Zcustosmorum

Actually nicotine is quite healthy for the brain....it's the other chemicals that kill you and give you cancer. Sure, it's addictive...but the positives are on par with the negative if you can find additive free (and preferably organic) Tobacco (American Spirit Organic
) There's quite a good study on it. Also, think of all the intellectuals in the past....most, if not all, smoked tobacco. It's said to assist in increasing brain activity and can even assist in staving off old age neurological problems.

The same can be applied to every plant and the chemicals therein in their natural form. The moment it is concentrated with unnatural chemical processes, or tainted with processed chemicals, it becomes truly unhealthy.

The Coca leaf, just like the Cannabis flower, just like the milk of the Poppy, just like the Ayahuesca brew of the Mimosa Hostilis root or Psychotria viridis leaf and the Banisteriopsis caapi root, the Psilocybin Mushroom, the Peyote cactus....the list is endless.....only when it is taken and abused or concentrated in unnatural ways does it become the public danger that TPTB want us to perceive it as.
edit on 1-6-2014 by LightAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 06:58 AM
link   
a reply to: eManym

Yeah I was wondering if you could link your sources of these marijuana lab "explosions" since a couple states legalized it..

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 07:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Thanks Kadinsky for all that info.

Regarding this particular part of your post :

it's just making the point that societies in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

....you just made me remember the Coca legend :

God said to the andean people:

“Guard the leaves with much love and when
you feel the sting of pain in your heart,
hunger in your body
and darkness in your mind…
take them to your mouth and softly, draw up
its spirit which is part of mine…..”
You will find love for your pain
food for your body and light for your mind
Further more, watch the leaves dance with the wind
and you will find answers to your queries.
But if your torturer, who come from the North
the white conqueror, the gold seeker, should touch it
he will find in it only…
poison for his body
and madness for his mind
for his heart is so callous as his steel and iron garment
And when the COCA, which is how you will call it,
attempts to soften his feelings
it will only shatter him
as the icy crystals born in the clouds
rack the rocks, demolish mountains. …

I think a prophecy has been fulfilled.

cocawasi.com...

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 07:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shiloh7

I do think behind the scenes the Churches play a huge role in prohibition of indigenous plants and their uses. Their role is to intercede between man and God. However the Shamanic view that through the use of induced mental states one can enter the holy realms oneself is a direct threat to their very existence - and we can't have that can we?

The trouble seems that in order to cut down a threat a huge hammer is used instead which walks over cultures and people's rights. Slowly perhaps we will get an acceptable balance where all the uses for these plants can be available to all.

The Catholic Church in times of the colonies didn't care about the indeginous from the moment the gold was tossed to their hands, that was all they wanted. The Inquisition persecutions and witch hunts were focused in the groups of people with economic influence like spanish descendants and even jews.

The substance used to reach a diferent state of mind in pre-columbian cultures was Ayahuasca.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: "benzoine: aids scarring, anti-fermenting"
I'm going to use that to help my finger pads callus up for playing the 12 string guitar(right now my fingers are getting shredded). Good thread.
-Silver

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: wantstoknowmore
a reply to: "benzoine: aids scarring, anti-fermenting"
I'm going to use that to help my finger pads callus up for playing the 12 string guitar(right now my fingers are getting shredded). Good thread.
-Silver

I'm happy everytime someone finds a practical use for the information I share. That's is the way to rescue ancient knowledge believed lost in time. Thank you very much.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rabb420

Yeah I was wondering if you could link your sources of these marijuana lab "explosions" since a couple states legalized it..

www.nbclosangeles.com...

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
It's also still used in Coca Cola. Most of the coc aine is removed in the extract but adjuvants help to bring it back up. Now some of the other chemistry of the leaves is still in the decocainized leafs. Some of them are good for us....

Coca-Cola includes as an ingredient a coca leaf extract prepared by a Stepan Company plant in Maywood, New Jersey. The facility, which had been known as the Maywood Chemical Works, was purchased by Stepan in 1959. The plant is the only commercial entity in the USA authorized by the Drug Enforcement Administration to import coca leaves, which come primarily from Peru. Approximately 100 metric tons of dried coca leaf are imported each year. The coc aine-free leaves are sold to The Coca Cola Company, while the coc aine is sold to Mallinckrodt, a pharmaceutical firm, for medicinal purposes.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: odd1out

originally posted by: Rabb420

www.nbclosangeles.com...

I understand you are only answering a post, but I'd like to ask you please to do not discuss about marihuana in this thread, since it is off topic.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: clay2 baraka

originally posted by: rickymouse
It's also still used in Coca Cola. Most of the coc aine is removed in the extract but adjuvants help to bring it back up. Now some of the other chemistry of the leaves is still in the decocainized leafs. Some of them are good for us....

Coca-Cola includes as an ingredient a coca leaf extract prepared by a Stepan Company plant in Maywood, New Jersey. The facility, which had been known as the Maywood Chemical Works, was purchased by Stepan in 1959. The plant is the only commercial entity in the USA authorized by the Drug Enforcement Administration to import coca leaves, which come primarily from Peru. Approximately 100 metric tons of dried coca leaf are imported each year. The coc aine-free leaves are sold to The Coca Cola Company, while the coc aine is sold to Mallinckrodt, a pharmaceutical firm, for medicinal purposes.

Interesting, so coca leaves are ok in USA if you are a giant multinational corporation.

"The coca is not white, the coca is not black, the coca is green"

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I'd like to add to the thread the following video (Parts 1 and 2). The Evo Morales speech at the UN.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I often wonder if the salt that was used by the romans to pay debts was derrived from this plant.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: deadeyedick
I often wonder if the salt that was used by the romans to pay debts was derrived from this plant.

How come?..., I don't understand what has the salt to do with the coca.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Seems like it takes a long time to chew up each individual piece...why not just pack it like skoal and dip it...

I like the first video clip of that guy...he holds my interest for some reason...

edit on 1-6-2014 by chrismarco because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: chrismarco

Seems like it takes a long time to chew up each individual piece...why not just pack it like skoal and dip it...

That's the way it's been done for centuries. You need to break the leaves in small pieces inside your mouth, locate them in one side of your mouth and moist it with your saliva. Then you add more until you get a ball.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Cocaine can be in a salt form or free-base.....simple Chemistry 101 stuff.

Salts
Cocaine is a weakly alkaline compound (an "alkaloid"), and can therefore combine with acidic compounds to form various salts. The hydrochloride (HCl) salt of coc aine is by far the most commonly encountered, although the sulfate (-SO4) and the nitrate (-NO3) are occasionally seen. Different salts dissolve to a greater or lesser extent in various solvents – the hydrochloride salt is polar in character and is quite soluble in water.

Salts of Cocaine

Cocaine Hydochloride is one of the most commonly found forms of the salt, on the drug market. It would make sense then why this 'salt' that the Romans were using to pay debts had value of any sort.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 12:37 AM
link   
TC violation sorry.
edit on 2-6-2014 by SuicideKing33 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join