It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3D printed food is here.Replicators are real.Captain Kirk your dinner is ready.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   
The latest piece of Star Trek tech is here. We have communicators (cell phones),phasers
,tricorders, and now food replicators. Call me when the holodeck is up and running.
edit on 31-5-2014 by abe froman because: (no reason given)

This link for the food replicator story
edit on 31-5-2014 by abe froman because: 15 edits later i think i got it.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

There is only a link to the blue ray laser phaser mod.

No replicated 3d printed food.

EDIT TO ADD:

I think you mean this no?

This weekend, Cambridge firm Dovetailed unveiled its unique approach to 3D food printing. Using the molecular gastronomic technique of spherification, the firm is developing a method for 3D fruit printing that has the potential to change the way that food printing is looked at entirely.

At Tech Food Hack on May 24, “an experimental dining hackathon” organized by Dovetailed and Microsoft Research Cambridge, the firm showed off their spherification printer capable of 3D printing liquid drops of different flavors into a predetermined shape for the “creation of interesting bespoke fruits.” Spherification works by taking a liquid, combining it with a sodium rich gel, like sodium alginate, and introducing it to a cold solution of calcium chloride. This results in the formation of a delicate skin around the liquid, containing it in a sphere-shape. To better understand new concepts like spherification, it always helps me to watch a video.

Chief Inventor at Dovetailed, Gabriel Villar, adds: “With our novel printing technique, you can not only recreate existing fruits, but also invent your own creations. The taste, texture, size and shape of the fruit can all be customized.”

3dprintingindustry.com...

Looks like its for 3d printed fruit using real fruit juice. Sounds cool though.

edit on 5 31 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Your link just took me to the video of the phaser, and as cool as that is, it is not a 3D printed steak dinner!

Just FYI

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit Try the link that says food replicators

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman nope. where it says "food replicators" that's a link. they are currently making chicken, cauliflower,pork,peas,potatoes and pasta.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Your link in your OP leads to the same youtube video you posted but is good in your second post.

It's neat but it's basically taking puree'd foods and using then as the "ink" to create 3D food look-a-likes that are mushy.

LOL eew. But neat!

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   
fixed.
edit on 5 31 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: tadamanThe OP should be all fixed up now.Thanks for your patience.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 08:05 PM
link   

I'm not the biggest Star Trek nerd, although I have seen just about every episode of Star Trek Next Generation, but Captain Kirk didn't have replicators, Captain Picard did.

That said, this 3 D printing isn't at all like a replicator that seems to create food out of thin air. The company behind this is using food to make food, namely pureed food that takes form but is still soft as puree while tasting good.

The company behind the project is called Biozoon Smoothfood. It's using liquified ingredients—vegetables, carbs, meat, etc.—in the place of the ink or PLA that a 3D printer would normally use. Ingredients are inserted into the cartridges of the printer, and with the help of a binding agent, they come out as food that pretty much melts in your mouth. For now they're making six foods: cauliflower, peas, chicken, pork, potatoes, and pasta. But more food is on the menu for the future.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   

I don't see anything in the OP resembling a food printer...edit: nevermind, took too long to post and see now.

However, 3D food printing has been out for awhile...in the form of Play Doh...
edit on 31-5-2014 by OrphanApology because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-5-2014 by OrphanApology because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Can it print bacon? If not, I have no interest.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 12:11 AM
link   
No thank you. Crappy tasting food is not necessary. We're given our taste buds and senses for a reason, not to be slaves eating cardboard gmo crapola. But to strive for a world of happiness and abundance for all.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 12:25 AM
link   
No thanks .. prefer to grow , gather, catch my own food fresh far better than fake food anyday .. I dont touch western food that stuff will kill you ..

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Nope!!! I will always enjoy my breakfast, lunch, dinner recipe stuff. It's been a family favorite for 114 years. I will never go back.
Thank you for your gastronomy ideas..

Kratos

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Well, it's getting there! The phaser needs a power boost, but I still want one.

Ah, the holodeck.......who wouldn't want one? Only problem is, a lot of people wouldn't want to come out!!

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 01:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

I'm not the biggest Star Trek nerd, although I have seen just about every episode of Star Trek Next Generation, but Captain Kirk didn't have replicators, Captain Picard did.

Of course he did! Trust me, die-hard Trek fan here (I cut teeth on the show, pretty much literally), and they had replicators. They had to stick in a little card, instead of talking to them, but they had them. Remember the tribbles? If not, you want to see that one.

These 3-D foods.....not quite as palatable as we might hope, but it's still pretty cool! Of course, the ingredients are certainly going to be better, considering what Trek replicators supposedly used.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 07:02 AM
link   
the idea behind the trek food replicators was that everything is made out of molecules/atoms, etc, so if you know the molecular structure of a food, and have a machine that can re-arrange molecules into those specific configurations, wallah you have food made out of seemingly nothing (it's just reconstructing molecules from anywhere).

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 07:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Swills

That said, this 3 D printing isn't at all like a replicator that seems to create food out of thin air.

I think the ST replicators combined teleport technology to create the food and / or just about any items of equipment they wanted by beaming atoms from a store or raw material like protiens and animo acids, and reassembling them into the food or item selected.

So we'll never have true ST replicators unless or until we develop teleportation technology.

BUT...this is a great idea for producting food for people that have difficulty eating normally, and perhaps for disaster zones as an emergency food supply.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.

and maybe a bottle of Romulan Ale, 'cause synthahol is for squares.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 02:14 AM
link   
kirk had food processors that would take raw materials like this 3d technique to make a palatable item say a cup of ice cream. picard had food replicators that would take a molecilar pattern for stated item say a ribeye steak and baked potato and beam it to replicator station from raw material storage and don't worry about running out of material because replicators could break down you body waste into its raw molecular state and load it back into storage ewww maybe the future not so rosy after all . i think i will stick with my double quater pounder combo large sized and 20 piece mcnuggets on side for my processed by science future food.

top topics

join