It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you like 10TB of cloud storage for FREE?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   
What happens when that company goes tits up?

You lose EVERYTHING!!!

Buy an external hard drive, they're quite inexpensive now, a 2TB will store just about everything the average person will have.

As for being able to access my files when I'm out, well, thats what a usb mem stick is for.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Nothing is "for free" (although I will check it out).

My guess is that there are some stipulations such as being added to marketing lists or that there should be no expectation that any of the uploaded information is "private".

edit on 31-5-2014 by gladtobehere because: wording

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I wouldn't trust such a thing either. My stuff is all on a 2T external drive and others...tossed in my desk drawer. When those "clouds" get messed with...mine is still secure. This online storage stuff baffles me. When the internet and clouds crash...and everyones stuff goes POOF...mines in the drawer on a separate drive.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Thank you OP.

My opinion of cloud storage is pretty simple. It does not replace local storage it is just another backup. If the company goes down it is one backup down. If i spill coffee on an HD it is one backup down. (Lets say coffee because I found out fire the hard way and didn't want to talk about gunrights because i mentioned a burglary.) If you worry about security with cloudstorage encrypt it. If you really worry about security archive it in two or more parts and store the parts on different clouds.

Tencent is a pretty big company at least it doesn't seem to be an obscure website to get your personal info. Not much different then facebook and the likes.
WeChat is the nr 2 messaging app.
edit on 31-5-2014 by Dumbass because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Terms and conditions:

"These Terms of Service may be updated at any time Tencent, and without prior notice. "

"This software is developed by Tencent. "Software" all copyrights, trademarks, patents, trade secrets and other intellectual property rights, as well as with the "software" of all relevant information, including but not limited to: written expression, and combinations thereof, icons, decorative figure, charts, colors, interface design, layout framework, relevant data, printed materials, or electronic documents, such as People's Republic of China are subject to copyright law, trademark law, patent law, unfair competition law and the relevant international treaties and other intellectual property protection laws and regulations, in addition to involving third-party licensed software or technology, Tencent entitled to such intellectual property rights."

(I freely admit that the above one made me laugh)

"Tencent order to protect the autonomy of the company's business development and adjustment, Tencent have the right at any time without notice to the user to modify, suspend, interrupt or cancel, terminate the services provided to users"
(That one worries me)

(And then there is this one which I somehow expected even before I found it)
"
Tencent in the provision of services, it may now or in the future on the part of service users begin to charge a fee, such as user refuses to pay these fees, you can not continue to use the service after the charge related to the start"

So all in all. I think my own two external 2TB HDs and four internal HDs are enough for me.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: UKWO1Phot

The problem is that Cloud being Touted as the future is anything but, in the old day's of Cloud computing (It is one of the old method's) a Mainfrane held your data and you worked on a terminal, the administrator was free to access all of your personal files through an admin password, there are advantages such as reduced hardware requirement's as the programs can in some cases be ran at the mainframe or Cloud server network but the disadvantages are also plain.
For the Copyright federation it is a boon they can not deny themselves and even we gamers are now trapped by Steam and Origin,
(Thankfully microsoft's even worse GFWL has been ditched as it is universally hated),.
It was nice to go to a store and buy the game in it's box complete, then they started launching faulty software with never ending updated online as a prelude to the digital download age as a seeming prelude to acclimatize the users to the way they wanted them to be tied to the internet with even some single player games requiring constant internet connections,.
In other world CLOUD STORAGE SUCK's, Did you know even in the 1980's grundig was working on three dimensional storage crystals far superior to CD or DVD or BLUE RAY and that technology never saw the light of day at the consumer market place because even those early models could store many terrabytes, even with much less advanced write and read lasers as they would have been excessive storage and put the Hard Drive market at danger.

edit on 31-5-2014 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   
first off, just because a company isnt based in the usa dosent mean that goverment could gain acess to it,
i never have trusted cloud storage in any way, iv spent alot of my life on the internet and havent seen a good reason to use cloud storage,
what happens if that cloud company goes out of business, gets taken down for people hosting copyrighted material on the servers (megaupload), and whats to stop your information from being hacked ?
if visa, mastercard and sony cant protect your information then how could u trust a company for another region
if a hacking group for some reason wanted large amounts of personal data then cloud storage would be one of the first places to look.
all in all in perfer having my usb drives allover my office before trusting my information in a cloud
clouds are pretty but they also hide rain

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman
a reply to: gortex

I dont trust cloud storage.

I will never use any service like that except for single files for a friend or such. I like drop box. I uninstall it as soon as I am done and get rid of every trace of it on my computer.

Nothing stored on another server is secure. I try to store 1 TB of downloaded movies, or hundreds of gigs of music or software and then one day I get a knock on my door.

No thanks. I will just buy another hard drive.

Thanks anyways OP.

Exactly .. !!

not like there hasn't been huge removable HD/SSD's for the past 20+ years..LOL ..not even to mention 64 & 128Gb thumb drives
& CD's !!!
edit on 31-5-2014 by Komodo because: becuse I must

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Did any of you bother to read the Terms & Conditions?

Welcome to China stealing your personal information and selling it back to FB and everybody else.

LOL

OH and they also own any intellectual property you upload

~Tenth
edit on 5/31/2014 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Nothing worth having is ever really free, huh?

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower
Did any of you bother to read the Terms & Conditions?

Welcome to China stealing your personal information and selling it back to FB and everybody else.

LOL

OH and they also own any intellectual property you upload

~Tenth

Yeah. If I had large files that I needed to share frequently id just pay 10 bucks and go to a more legit site.

This site could still be really useful tho if your not worried about privacy etc.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 02:35 AM
link   
I'm not going to rely on cloud as a primary backup. I do have 3TB all together in storage. I have 2x 500gb and A 1TB in my PC plus my 2 USB 2.5" inch drives (350gb & 750gb). I back up all my audio software plus audio samples onto the 2 USB drives as well as having the source files on the D: drive.

Cloud is OK for when I'm using my mobile at work or in waiting rooms easy to go through the files on the fly.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 12:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: UKWO1Phot
a reply to: WhiteWine

No problem.
And hopefully with it being a Chinese company the NSA won't have a chance to pillage your data.

If it travels over the net the NSA has access, and considering it's Chinese they now can pillage your info. At least encrypt anything important.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: UKWO1Phot
Wow!! Thanks for this I will be sharing this with friends.

Scaley

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 03:36 AM
link   
I use CloudBacko and find it to very easy and reliable and store unlimited cloud storage. It can handle a variety of tasks and has logging features.Take a look and see what you think. free.cloudbacko.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join