It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blog: Common Atheist and Theist Mistakes in Argument

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: LarryLove

Then thank you for condescending to post on my wretched thread sir.
Good day.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: undo

It is truly a bizzare trait amongst certain members but the concept of original thought is sorely missing nowadays. Not a reflection on the site per se just the member.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: HarbingerOfShadows

You are welcome.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   
back on the topic (or at least my interpretation of what i think the topic is. doh)

if belief is belief, then atheism is a religion. it doesn't believe in god, it believes in man. pretty simple. the idea that man and god are separate, is of course, not up for discussion even though it should be, since it would redefine atheism and theism in a very large way and is potentially the direction all this is heading in to begin with.

given sufficient technology, yada yada, anybody can seem super - natural. is there a difference? another worthy topic for discussion.

edit on 1-6-2014 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   

And with that you reveal your failing and limitation.
I look forward to not seeing you again.
edit on 1-6-2014 by HarbingerOfShadows because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   

All I know is that less blood has been spilled not in the name of religion.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   

A limitation is what prevents us from overcoming a flaw in our character. I have and will always have limits preventing me from evolving as a decent human but will always seek to overcome them through original thought and accepting when I am wrong.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Then in this case you are wrong.
Let's see if your obvious hubris can let you accept that.

I am presenting ideas here.
Seeking to foster discussion on the ideas, not my opinion of the ideas.
Thus why I leave my opinions out of the OP.
Which is much better as it gives one less target to those like you to use to distract.

Insult me from your high horse all you wish.
It really only hurts you.

You, much like your religious counterpart there, want to make this about me.
And this is why you fail.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: LarryLove

All I know is that less blood has been spilled not in the name of religion.

that is debatable. since there's really no way to verify whether the name of religion is being used by people who actually believe the religion or are just doing so because the religion they claim to be is their actual target (which is my theory). since we can neither prove yea or nay, we have only our fellows of those descriptions to go by. i would not kill you or anyone for that matter, regardless of your beliefs or lack thereof. whereas someone else fitting my description, might. and i assume the same holds true for atheists or people of other faiths/non-faiths.

for example, did you know there was a branch of judaism that even though they were religious leaders, did not believe in heaven or resurrection? in effect, they were atheists. how do you benefit from the power and financial success of religion, while not believing a word of it? well i can think of a few choice examples. does that mean i shouldn't believe either? that rationale is totally lost on me. if i'm not going to believe something, i need a better reason than some members of my described group are not very nice. lol

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Interesting, but the last decade or so at war with Islam proves at least war and religion are 'peas in the pod'. Whether we like 'em or not, Bush and 'bunny' Blair made televisual broadcasts using 'God' as pretext for war. They both addressed their respective nations with hardcore Christian undertones when declaring war.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   

No one individual 'fails' in a thread. We all have relevant contributions — just that original thought is better.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Oh in this case you do.
This thread is about discussion, hiding behind a high and mighty judgment of me with the flimsy excuse of wanting "original thought" doesn't change that.

Now, care to add anything new to the discussion or am I to be treated to more about how I should do things how you'd like?

And one thing both yourself and she has missed.
I have been sharing my opinions.

Just not in the OP.
Whoops.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Wars to gain a foothold on or at least better connections into the largest oil producing region on the globe.
To counter Russia and China's influence in that same region.
Funny how every "holy war" has some form of political or material gain at the heart if you dig enough.

But, either way, off topic.
Take it to PMs please.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Interesting, but the last decade or so at war with Islam proves at least war and religion are 'peas in the pod'. Whether we like 'em or not, Bush and 'bunny' Blair made televisual broadcasts using 'God' as pretext for war. They both addressed their respective nations with hardcore Christian undertones when declaring war.

and you have evidence that bush really believes in god and what god ? did you know what happened in iraq? bush helped one sect of islam, wipe out another sect of islam. not sure on the christian population there, but if the rest of the stories are true, they are genociding christians like mad in muslim countries at the moment. same would've happened to egypt but it was just too much of a mixed bag.

i mean obama is supposedly a christian yet he's funding groups overseas who are literally genociding christians from their countries. as in genocide. like gone. dead. just because they live there. i'm thinking the protestants, jehovah's witnesses and other non catholic groups were already chased out or genocided awhile ago, so the new slaughter/genocide are catholics. reason i think that's true is you hardly ever see protestant churches from pictures over there but you always see a mosque and a catholic church on opposite corners from each other in those places. i think the new pope abandoned them because in reality, he's an atheist himself and is part of the same new world order push that bush and obama and so forth are promoting.

diff topic.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   

It is easier without being so defensive and you need to take stock of what is being said. This isn't personal, I just disagree with you. Hell, I don't even know you!

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Then lay off the insulting high and mighty commentary.
Sort of like your little speel about "original thought"....
Remember this?

It is truly a bizzare trait amongst certain members but the concept of original thought is sorely missing nowadays. Not a reflection on the site per se just the member.

Which is funny because it misses the point of the thread in favor of bitching I didn't give you something else to attack.

Don't talk crap then expect your target not to respond.

And you continually fail to admit to any wrong.
Just alot of dodging.
Hm.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: HarbingerOfShadows

Oh in this case you do.
This thread is about discussion, hiding behind a high and mighty judgment of me with the flimsy excuse of wanting "original thought" doesn't change that.

Now, care to add anything new to the discussion or am I to be treated to more about how I should do things how you'd like?

And one thing both yourself and she has missed.
I have been sharing my opinions.

Just not in the OP.
Whoops.

well the op is what people tend to comment on. ya know? that's why it's confusing for regular ats'ers. we kinda expect you to do that cause to be honest, i think it's like part of the site policy.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   

No, because that is how you came across in the thread. If we were drinking a beer — real person conversation — I would have said the same to you then. I spend my life around academics who only on occasion have the balls to formulate and sound off their own opinion.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   

The fact that you think it's a question of "ballsiness/guts/courage" would also be a pretty strong indicator as to why you fail.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   

No, because that is how you came across in the thread. If we were drinking a beer — real person conversation — I would have said the same to you then. I spend my life around academics who only on occasion have the balls to formulate and sound off their own opinion.

interesting comment. so does that mean that people who do formulate an opinion and sound off, are not very academic?
OR does that mean that science creeps forward very slowly because group think has infected academia? (which i theorize from the op's byline is what he's getting at. kill the label. watered down, pressed together, hive mind. )

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join