It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheists being persecuted in the USA.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74 I always tell people that religion is of man and I don't know about you but man seems to screw up everything he tries to take charge of. You really think God wanted 70 different religions for one God? I don't.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I spent a small amount of time digging and I came up with a handful of statistics I'd like us all to take a long hard look at...

-1/4 of girls and 1/10 of boys in the U.S have been sexually abused

-10% of adolescent boys and 17% of adolescent girls have made an attempt to take their own life

-60% of children born in the 90's live in a single parent home for part of their childhood

-3 out of 5 teens try an elicit drug

-72% of america's teens have had sexual intercourse by their senior year

-sexually active highschool boys report they lost their virginity at an average age of 13.3 and highschool girls report an average age of 14.6

-more than 1 million teenage girls, 1-10 under the age of 20, become pregnant every year

-40% of 14 year old girls will become pregnant atleast once before they are 20 years old

-2.5 million new cases of adolescent sexually transmited diseases are reported each year

-9 out of 10 teens will have experimented with alcoholby their senior year, and 39% will get drunk atleast once every 2 weeks

-72% of adolescent murders are from fatherless homes

-70% of long term inmates come from fatherless homes

-over 25 million children under 18 are growing up fatherless

-more than 40% of adults have no weekly contact with their children

-the average mother spends less than 70 minutes a day with meaningful interaction with any of their teenage children

-the average father spends less than 7 minutes a day with meaningful interaction with any of their teenage children

Now, let's just do a little "fruit" examination shall we...
If the majority of US homes happened to have CHRISTIAN adults with CHRISTIAN values....would the fruits look like this?
(Need I say more?)

A2D

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 06:02 PM
link   
What are "Christian values"? Or do you seriously believe your book teaches some secret "values" which are different from other values eg. which define a good person?

Or is your post just one more in the endless series of stating that only Christians can in fact be "good" people and others can not?
(Despite the absurdity of claims like that Christian faith eg. is all you need to reduce abuse, violence etc..etc.. Explain to me, for instance, why basically most deranged serial killers have some odd background being raised in often extremely devout, Christian families? Realize that oppression, eg. of sexuality etc. where Christianity etc. is very good at, can often result in the exact opposite outcome.) Also..if your assumption were be right, all more or less atheist nations with lesser Christians (speak: Scandinavians countries etc.) would not be doing so well. The exact opposite is the case.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 06:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Agree2Disagree
I spent a small amount of time digging and I came up with a handful of statistics I'd like us all to take a long hard look at...

-1/4 of girls and 1/10 of boys in the U.S have been sexually abused

-10% of adolescent boys and 17% of adolescent girls have made an attempt to take their own life

This is a shame, but if you want to talk about sexual abuse. How about we talk about Catholic priests?

-60% of children born in the 90's live in a single parent home for part of their childhood

So what is better a one parent home or a home where the two parents are miserable, hate each other and may even abuse each other every time they see each other?

-sexually active highschool boys report they lost their virginity at an average age of 13.3 and highschool girls report an average age of 14.6

OH NO!!!!!! Who cares? The bible says nothing about drug use by the way.

-more than 1 million teenage girls, 1-10 under the age of 20, become pregnant every year

Teenage girls getting pregnant isn't a new phenomenon. Religious types like to marry them off during their teenage years. You do know that Jesus' mother mary was 15 when she married 30 some year old Joseph and had Jesus?

-40% of 14 year old girls will become pregnant atleast once before they are 20 years old

Abortions are legal and so is adoption.

-2.5 million new cases of adolescent sexually transmited diseases are reported each year

Can't help stupidity. If kids don't want to learn how to use birth control that is safe and effective, that is their problem.

-9 out of 10 teens will have experimented with alcoholby their senior year, and 39% will get drunk atleast once every 2 weeks

OH NO! Not alcohol! Humans have only been consuming alcohol since the dawn of time. Not sure what your point is here.

-72% of adolescent murders are from fatherless homes

-70% of long term inmates come from fatherless homes

-over 25 million children under 18 are growing up fatherless

-more than 40% of adults have no weekly contact with their children

-the average mother spends less than 70 minutes a day with meaningful interaction with any of their teenage children

-the average father spends less than 7 minutes a day with meaningful interaction with any of their teenage children

Got a source for any of these statistics? Actually check that. Do you have a source for this entire post? This reads like one of those crappy Christian chain emails that makes up a bunch of things wrong, doesn't source it then says, "Imagine how much better things would be if we were all Christian," or something like that. *looks below*

Now, let's just do a little "fruit" examination shall we...
If the majority of US homes happened to have CHRISTIAN adults with CHRISTIAN values....would the fruits look like this?
(Need I say more?)

A2D

Well what do you know? Did you copy paste this from your email? Where is the long string of Re:re:re:re:re:re:'s?
edit on 2-6-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: NoRulesAllowed
What are "Christian values"? Or do you seriously believe your book teaches some secret "values" which are different from other values eg. which define a good person?

Or is your post just one more in the endless series of stating that only Christians can in fact be "good" people and others can not?
(Despite the absurdity of claims like that Christian faith eg. is all you need to reduce abuse, violence etc..etc.. Explain to me, for instance, why basically most deranged serial killers have some odd background being raised in often extremely devout, Christian families? Realize that oppression, eg. of sexuality etc. where Christianity etc. is very good at, can often result in the exact opposite outcome.) Also..if your assumption were be right, all more or less atheist nations with lesser Christians (speak: Scandinavians countries etc.) would not be doing so well. The exact opposite is the case.

Relax killer. I didn't say anything about christians being the only "good" people....Didn't even IMPLY anything close to that...Take it easy, I've been around awhile but it still HURTS

When I said Christian values I'm specifically talking about Christ-values....You know that man that taught the people of Isreal for 3 years before he was crucified...Yeah...Him and what he taught.

My whole point is that while America claims to be a Christian nation, IT IS NOT. We are a nation that, as Jesus stated in Matthew 15:8
"'.... honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me."

But again, it should be clear from the numbers that it doesn't matter if you're Christian or Atheist, all people are capable of committing vile atrocities....

There is a huge distinction between true Christ-like behavior and modern Christianity....(or what I call "churchiology)
Just read about Christ and imagine what it'd be like if everyone that proclaims Christianity actually lived LIKE HIM....

A2D

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

It's quite clear that you care nothing about the society that you live in nor the children and adolescents who are growing up in this cesspool....

To any sane mind these statistics should be disturbing...especially to parents....

And if you need a source, go find one...better yet, step outside into the world we live in and see for yourself....

A2D

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   

It's quite clear that you care nothing about the society that you live in nor the children and adolescents who are growing up in this cesspool....

To any sane mind these statistics should be disturbing...especially to parents....

And if you need a source, go find one...better yet, step outside into the world we live in and see for yourself....

A2D

Perhaps you could...agree to disagree?

edit on 2-6-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Agree2Disagree

I can make up statistics on the spot too then feign indignation when someone calls me on it. That's pretty easy.

Though I'm just going to say that people act the same as they always have. There is no such thing as "Christian values". Your post is just a Christian emotional appeal to make people feel bad about the society they are living in. It has made up statistics and calls into question things like drug and alcohol use like they are even problems that we should be worrying about. I'm not buying it, and just because I don't agree with YOUR idea of a moral society doesn't mean I don't care about our adolescents and children. I just know what the logical conclusion of what you would enact to create this society and it sickens me.

And one more time, you post the "facts" you need to post the sources. It isn't my responsibility to vet YOUR information. It cracks me up how many people try to pull this card on me. Just hold up your end of the intellectual debate and provide sources for your claims. Stop deflecting and telling me to go look it up. I'm AGAINST your stance, what reason do -I- have to make sure that YOUR claims are correct. Oh and "Go outside"? How do I get a legit sampling of the population of the country by "looking outside"? That is ludicrous. You provide the information or its bunk. End of story.
edit on 2-6-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: AfterInfinity

AI I'm glad you stopped by...Let me ask you something...

and the response was....

OH NO!!!!!! Who cares?

Is that the same reaction those statistics evoke in you?
A2D

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Nothing is made up at all...but I don't find it necessary to support every little statistic you want to dispute with me....so here you go some more WITH A SOURCE just for you friend....

63% of youth suicides are from fatherless homes (US Dept. Of Health/Census) – 5 times the average.
90% of all homeless and runaway children are from fatherless homes – 32 times the average.
85% of all children who show behavior disorders come from fatherless homes – 20 times the average. (Center for Disease Control)
80% of rapists with anger problems come from fatherless homes –14 times the average. (Justice & Behavior, Vol 14, p. 403-26)
71% of all high school dropouts come from fatherless homes – 9 times the average. (National Principals Association Report)
Father Factor in Education - Fatherless children are twice as likely to drop out of school.

Children with Fathers who are involved are 40% less likely to repeat a grade in school.
Children with Fathers who are involved are 70% less likely to drop out of school.
Children with Fathers who are involved are more likely to get A’s in school.
Children with Fathers who are involved are more likely to enjoy school and engage in extracurricular activities.
75% of all adolescent patients in chemical abuse centers come from fatherless homes – 10 times the average.

FOR YOU
A2D

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   

AI I'm glad you stopped by...Let me ask you something...

and the response was....

OH NO!!!!!! Who cares?

Is that the same reaction those statistics evoke in you?
A2D

Your statistics do not prove that atheism is at fault. Nor do they prove that religion is the appropriate solution. Your statistics demonstrate that we have a lot of sick, twisted people in our country, and you can find sick, twisted people wherever you care to look. But mostly, it falls to the government to take care of that. Incidentally, it becomes much harder to claim a position in the government if you are a publicly declared atheist, so guess who that leaves us with?

Hey, you asked.
edit on 2-6-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: AfterInfinity

My reaction...is that the people were subjected to much worse when Nazis were in town. And those Nazis were usually Christians. Religion has done more than its fair share of terrorizing and oppressing.

Hey, you asked.

I completely agree. In fact, I don't think I could agree more....
However, you haven't quite answered the question...

Do those statistics mean absolutely nothing to you? Do they make you say "So?" or "Who cares?" I just want an honest answer...
A2D

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Your statistics do not prove that atheism is at fault. Nor do they prove that religion is the appropriate solution. Your statistics demonstrate that we have a lot of sick, twisted people in our country, and you can find sick, twisted people wherever you care to look.

Hey, you asked.

Quit editing

I'm not trying to prove atheism is at fault. Nor am I trying to prove that religion is an appropriate solution. I'm simply trying to get the point across that while people CLAIM Christ-like values, they don't demonstrate it....So any comments of "Christians did this" or "Christians did that" really need to be closely examined to see if these are actual CHRIST-LIKE PEOPLE...or only mouth service "christians"....

A2D

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Agree2Disagree

Ok that source makes a strong case for having a two parent home. Not a lot we could do here to change things besides making divorce illegal, but I'm sure that would create many new problems.

What about all the other crap about teenagers having sex, stds, alcohol, and drugs? Where are your sources for that? Also what is your justification for them? They aren't even in the bible as being bad.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Your statistics do not prove that atheism is at fault. Nor do they prove that religion is the appropriate solution. Your statistics demonstrate that we have a lot of sick, twisted people in our country, and you can find sick, twisted people wherever you care to look.

Hey, you asked.

Quit editing

I'm not trying to prove atheism is at fault. Nor am I trying to prove that religion is an appropriate solution. I'm simply trying to get the point across that while people CLAIM Christ-like values, they don't demonstrate it....So any comments of "Christians did this" or "Christians did that" really need to be closely examined to see if these are actual CHRIST-LIKE PEOPLE...or only mouth service "christians"....

A2D

I don't see how the statistics you posted reflect Christianity or any of its values. I have no idea how Christianity played into any of those numbers. Do you?

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Precisely my point. Those statistics don't reflect Christianity or Christ-like values at all....
So it doesn't matter if they(the majority) profess Christianity as their religion...the numbers show that they hold no Christ-like values...

A2D

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Precisely my point. Those statistics don't reflect Christianity or Christ-like values at all....
So it doesn't matter if they(the majority) profess Christianity as their religion...the numbers show that they hold no Christ-like values...

A2D

I see. And what does that have to do with the topic?

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 08:30 PM
link   

A2D

I see. And what does that have to do with the topic?

It has everything to do with the topic...

This whole rant is about how the "christian" nation is force-feeding Jesus down your throats...when it isn't even a christian nation to begin with...It's a lie and only mouth service...The people force-feeding are only liars and manipulators...turn the TV on on Sunday morning and you'll see what I mean...

A2D

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 04:53 AM
link   
America has both the worst Christians and the worst Atheists in the world.

Because of their stupidity their whole society is now polarized. I can't think of another country where people needs to constantly shove to the face of the world how much they believe/don't believe in god. No one cares, folks.

None of them are capable or having fun of their own silliness anymore

I think what I hate the most about American atheists is they think they know Christianity and debunk it when all they know and debunk is Christian fundamentalism/biblical literalism which is dumb anyway and that almost no one else in the world believe in the first place. They look really stupid when their only arguments are like "but genesis is a story, not physical reality" when even the Vatican agrees with that.

basically, incredibly short sighted atheists debating with incredibly short sighted Christians, completely ignoring the rest of the world as usual with the people in the US who never traveled further than their own country.
edit on 3-6-2014 by SpaceGoatFarts because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 07:10 AM
link   
a reply to: SpaceGoatFarts

There is a reason that the fundies always end up debating with the atheists. They are the ones who always get offended when their religion is questioned. Also, I have no need to debate with Christians who accept science like evolution being true since they aren't willingly blinding themselves. I don't have an argument against god, because there is no evidence against god, so I don't debate that either.

The thing is you seem bitter that you aren't included in these debates. I don't know why, do you want atheists and agnostics questioning your beliefs? If you are willing to accept scientific evidence and view it with a rational brain and that works around your religion, it works for me. But then again, I'm agnostic not atheist. We always seem to get lost in the mix when talking about disbelief.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join