It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheists being persecuted in the USA.

page: 14
<< 11  12  13   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 09:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: stormbringer1701
i feel so bad for the poor widdle atheists that here is a robot singing "Cry me a River"

www.youtube.com...

Are you just trying to piss someone off?

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: mahatche

originally posted by: tsingtao

boo frikin hoo.

and God WILL forbid it.

just be glad atheists can marry in all 57 states and can get a wedding cake without filing a lawsuit.

Gay atheists can't. I think legally forcing someone to uphold a religion they don't subscribe is a form of persecution.

Neither can gay Christians...the problem is about gay, not about being atheist. I really don't see how atheists are persecuted in the US at all. All of the same laws apply: they can vote, own property, have legal representation, speak freely, and pretty much do whatever everyone else who is not atheist can.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: SpaceGoatFarts

Clearly I never agreed the earth is 6000 years old. I'm pointing out that you are being judgmental of their beliefs(which you said is what THEY DO...)....and that corresponds to hypocrisy

I will quote you again just in case....

I refer to the fundamentalists who believe the earth is 6000 years old as deluded, because it's what they are, on top of being judgemental and attacking anyone thinking differently.

So you said...in a nutshell...Fundamentalists are 1)delusional, 2)judgmental and 3) attack anyone thinking differently

And what you did there was 1) attack fundamentalists 2) judge their beliefs(because they think differently than you)

A2D
edit on 6-6-2014 by Agree2Disagree because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: SpaceGoatFarts

The thing is, words often have more than one definition. You are using the psychological definition, I am not.

de·lu·sion (d-lzhn)
n.
a. The act or process of deluding.
b. The state of being deluded.
2. A false belief or opinion: labored under the delusion that success was at hand.
3. Psychiatry A false belief strongly held in spite of invalidating evidence, especially as a symptom of mental illness: delusions of persecution.
[Middle English delusioun, from Latin dlsi, dlsin-, from dlsus, past participle of dldere, to delude; see delude.]

#2 - A false belief or opinion.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 05:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: SpaceGoatFarts
a reply to: ReturnofTheSonOfNothing

It's not the placebo effect.

It's simply that it's reassuring to believe in something greater than yourself, thus reducing anxiety, anxiety causing health issues.

It just so happens that this particular issue was touched upon a couple of times in this weeks Atheist Experience tv show & podcast.

The show hasn't made it onto youtube yet so I can't link direct, but you can watch the full episode (show #868) if you go to www.atheist-experience.com...

In itself, I'm not offering this as proof or anything, but if you are interested it does pretty much express my opinion on these issues.

At 07:25, Caller Craig in Syracuse NY on Health Benefits of prayer and belief in a god vs the placebo effect
At 44:25 Caller Christian in Cedar Park on the health benefits of prayer vs the placebo effect

In short, I do not believe that any of these effects are outside the bounds of the placebo effect.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc

What Christian laws are they forced to follow?

Almost every time a politician opens their mouth to oppose gay rights, they do it in the name of their religion.

And what rights are being opposed. They cannot own property? Cannot face a jury of their peers when confronted with a crime? Cannot vote? Own firearms? What rights are being forbidden them?

Seriously? I think I'm going to regret answering this because it's obvious you are being obtuse, but let's try marriage and adoption for starters. I know you must have heard debates on those issues many times. Why you would ask with out naming those makes me wonder...Up until recent gays couldn't even die for their country.

Sorry for the late response btw, forgot about this discussion.
edit on 06pm04pm302014-06-12T16:38:48-05:0004America/Chicago by mahatche because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 06:24 PM
link   

boo frikin hoo.

and God WILL forbid it.

just be glad atheists can marry in all 57 states and can get a wedding cake without filing a lawsuit.

Gay atheists can't. I think legally forcing someone to uphold a religion they don't subscribe is a form of persecution.

Neither can gay Christians...the problem is about gay, not about being atheist. I really don't see how atheists are persecuted in the US at all. All of the same laws apply: they can vote, own property, have legal representation, speak freely, and pretty much do whatever everyone else who is not atheist can.

You aren't wrong to say gay Christians can't marry, but it does nothing to counter my point.

Gay Christians subscribe to Christianity, as Christians they can be held to christian standards.

Gay atheists do not subscribe to Christianity, but they are still told "No you can't have this right, cause it's wrong to us Christians".

Can you justify a gay atheists being held to christian laws?
edit on 06pm06pm302014-06-12T18:26:58-05:0006America/Chicago by mahatche because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   

boo frikin hoo.

and God WILL forbid it.

You aren't wrong to say gay Christians can't marry, but it does nothing to counter my point.

Gay Christians subscribe to Christianity, as Christians they can be held to christian standards.

Gay atheists do not subscribe to Christianity, but they are still told "No you can't have this right, cause it's wrong to us Christians".

Can you justify a gay atheists being held to christian laws?

I will never apologize or bend my knee because I am a Christian, but you and I are on the same page on this issue. My twin brother and I grew up in a class of two sets of twin boys and on set of girls.

One of the guys in the other set of twins was one of the closest friends I've ever had. How can you put some kind of measure on a relationship that started at the age of five (my brother and I were a year younger than most of our 'mates)?

Like most everyone else we kept in contact after school in spite of the distractions of adulthood...

I was devastated when I found out that he was in critical condition in a city a few hours away. His brother told me that it wouldn't make any difference. He'd been in a coma for days and would never know I'd been there.

He was the first in our area to pass away from AIDS.

It hit me hard from a bunch of directions. How would I feel if I had to hide who I really was even from my closest friends? What if there was someone who cared deeply about him who wasn't allowed into intensive care because of "rules"?

The only thing that really mattered to me was that one of me childhood friends had a terminal illness and I found out too late..

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13   >>

join