It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheists being persecuted in the USA.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Lol I know it is normally the Christians right?.
Just to point out Iam not an atheist I just found this vid and thought you would like to see it.

Now there is swearing so If your under 18 don't press play or If you are a prude same thing.

Many more examples.

www.ft.com...

It isn't just in the States.

www.reuters.com...

www.secularism.org.uk...

So have any of you atheists or non religious been persecuted from the religious?.
Why can't the religious understand they don't know the truth no one does and to claim you do is arrogant.
God begins where humanity's imagination ends.
I have in work many times thoughts?.

edit on 31-5-2014 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 07:03 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Truth?

Haha... what's that?

I think its funny.

"Christians are persecuted!"

"Atheists are persecuted!"

"We're all bloody persecuted!"

Well, you know what? Its time to take a stand dammit!!!

Discordians are being persecuted this very instant, all around the globe!

Who cares? Suck it up all you religions and your respective constituents! Suck it up.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 07:05 AM
link   

I say this in the nicest way possible..... don't pigeonhole all believers into one catagory. I have a dear friend, who claims to be so open minded, and is in many regards, but constantly belittles believers of anything on all his social media platforms. One day I called him out, and apparently others shared that vibe, because I wasn't the only one. I took him off after that, because he felt that way and I got tired of being bullied for believing in something that has nothing to do with anyone else.

Obviously, there are so many out there who do bully nonbelievers. But not all of us. And many of us are perfectly willing to admit that what we have are beliefs.... not proof, in the real sense of the word. I can say "I know -------" till I'm blue in the face, but I don't, and I won't. Just as I don't and won't tell anyone else that he or she is wrong, because who am I to say that?

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 07:08 AM
link   

He's seen everything because he's "been around America".
I think these whining idiots should be made to spend a couple months in North Korea.
Maybe they'll stop crying about how oppressed and persecuted they are. I'm sick of those ridiculous T-shirts and bumper stickers that make the wearer think they're making some grand statement. STFU and get a hobby, you sniveling toadie.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat

Oh I agree There is no truth until we die and find out and I bet none of us guessed what it all is.
Thing is it is hard to take a stand against the persecution when 73% of the populace are Christian.
If people just kept their religion spiritual beliefs private the world would be a better place.
The scary thing is people vote for others just because they are Christian or Thorians nothing to do with what they actually are going to do in office...so state and religion gets entwined again and that is the wrong path for any country to follow.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 07:10 AM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

Free speech etc...you just proved my point.
Why not address what he said eh? and not his T-shirt?.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Well., I'm agnostic--not atheist--but since I don't go around proclaiming it constantly like some Christians, Jews, Muslims, etc. about how it is the only and correct way -- I haven't really seen any persecution.

Who's business is it anyway?

Personal spiritual beliefs don't necessarily have to be shouted in the face of everyone as some do.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 07:13 AM
link   
a reply to: chelsdh

Oh I don't I know some fantastic Christian people who actually do what Jesus would have done...but for example on ATS people threatening others to hell.
Real Christians would accept other ideology's and not discriminate against atheists etc.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 07:19 AM
link   

I actually agree with your comments.
I'm just sick and tired of this endless parade of these people that fancy themselves
agitators (or whatever they fancy themselves) because they can wear a 'clever' T-shirt and post a video on YouTube.
IMHO, the guy didn't put forth anything that was even remotely thought-provoking.
Emile Zola discussed what the video guy was ranting about (and much more eloquently, I might add) over 150 years ago.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 07:20 AM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

Look at my sig lol.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 07:21 AM
link   
And ? In america they go after anyone who isnt christian .. nothing new there ..

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Well, I'm an atheist and I think this guy needs to get a life. He starts by saying, "I hate to play the persecution, victim card, but..." No he doesn't hate it... He LOVES to scream and act like a crazy person to make his point. And he DOES have a point. Atheism is not generally an accepted belief in these United States. People would rather have a MUSLIM as a president than an atheist (at least they believe in a similar fairy tale). And we know how this country feels about Muslims.

I only watched about half the video.

My feeling is that religion is a personal matter. In real life, I RARELY speak to other people about my beliefs. I don't want to hear about other people's personal beliefs or feel like I'm trying to be tricked or coerced into their club. I hate to see billboards advertising Christianity, knowing that if an atheist or Muslim billboard were put up, it would be vandalized. By Christians. As a group, they are the biggest hypocrites. (I know there are individuals who don't fit this stereotype, but the vast majority do, unfortunately.)

I have not been persecuted because I don't wear my atheism on my sleeve. Why would I? Who cares? When people wear their Christianity on their sleeve, it makes me puke in my mouth. Why would I want to evoke the same response in others? I talk about it here on ATS, as a matter of discussion, but no one here is in my life; able to persecute me, ridicule me or make me a victim. I can just walk away from the computer if they try.

Atheism is on the rise and society is changing to be more secular. I think the atheists working within the law, with reason and logic, are needed to highlight the fact that atheism is protected by the first amendment, and eventually, homosexuals, atheists, and heretics like myself will be a normal part of society, so I'm not too mad at that. But this guy is just "preaching" and not doing atheism any good at all.

I think people should just have their beliefs and quit trying to force them on other people. If atheists criticize Christians for proselytizing and then turn around and do the SAME thing, how can they expect to have ANY respect at all? I believe in religious FREEDOM and I also believe in separation of church and state. If we would ALL just BACK OFF and let people live their lives instead of poking our noses into others' business, this would be a much better place. And that includes having atheist billboards if that's what some want.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 07:32 AM
link   
a reply to: chelsdh

The bullying does go both ways, but one form is usually a very general (as in not personal) attack on a moral stance. i.e. 'What you are condoning is morally wrong, and you will have to pay for that' -- as in a warning. Rarely is someone called out as a fool or idiot.

The other side (coming from the atheists) is generally very personal as in 'You are a backwards, brainwashed, idiot for believing in some fairy tale... lacking in any intelligence'. ( I guess they could say 'No!, what you are condoning is wrong and there will be no consequences, lol)

Whether either stance is correct, is not the issue, but from what I have seen the atheists fit the "bully" definition far more and need to suck it up if they are going to dish it out.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 07:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger
STFU and get a hobby, you sniveling toadie.

I remember a thread of yours called: "Calling all atheists" or something like that, in which you ranted and raved against atheists, and it was AT LEAST as bad as this guy's rant... So, I'm going to toss the above suggestion back in your face so you can see the hypocrisy of your sentiment.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 5/31/2014 by Benevolent Heretic because: added an "s"

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Halfswede

I agree. I can also say that I have only ever been persecuted by self proclaimed atheists. Not for what I believe in, but for believing in anything. To those that belittle me, without knowing really what I do believe (which I honestly don't like to discuss with most people, but people assume they know), I am thrown into a category of narrow minded bigots. I take high offense to that. I strive to learn about others' beliefs, relish it actually.

I have never told a person they were wrong, morally or otherwise, because that's not my place. My morals may not be the same as theirs.

I understand this is really kind of a pissing contest, but I can only go off my own experiences.

Eta: I am wrong, I do tell my husband he is wrong
but not even to him do I criticize how moral he is acting. That is so patronizing.
edit on 31-5-2014 by chelsdh because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Mr. Confusion checking in yet again. Might I suggest you re-read the "policymic" article you use as a source? The article disagrees with your position, saying it hardly meets the definition of persecution, and that Atheists largely bring it on themselves by calling religious people name after ugly name.

Take a second look at it, please, and let me know what you think.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 07:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
So have any of you atheists or non religious been persecuted from the religious?.

I'm religious (or spiritual, take your pick) and I get persecuted from other religious people. Do I count?

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: charles1952

Cheers I put the wrong link in.
I don't live in the States so I don't really know but I have been persecuted at work for not following Christ. A person got fired eventually because of it but I had to fight for my rights for anyone to listen.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

You sure do sweetpea

I have seen what people type about you because you have the brains to question things and come up with alternative views about your own religion.
You know I said I have met some amazing Christians guess what you are one of them

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I'm a pagan living in the Bible belt. I grew up a Pagan in that area no less, and, yes, I've been on the receiving end of quite a bit of action.

That being said, I've never felt as persecuted around any flavor of Christian as I have around many Atheists. I've never seen it where Christians didn't react the way they do either out of fear or simply because of a slavish devotion to their particular brand of faith. For all the times that I've been warned of hell by believers and Bible thumpers and billboards, I've never gotten the impression that they were actually wishing me there, merely telling me the reality that they knew according to their own religious dogma.

I've never had an outspoken Atheist not be actively hateful and disdainful towards any religious convention or spiritual thoughts, though. I've never had an outspoken Atheist make me feel safe or relaxed in simply just expressing my thoughts on these metaphysical matters and us explore them calmly. There's never been a time where it didn't immediately devolve into an interrogation by them, never a time where it didn't immediately become a ridiculously aggressive debate on their side for no apparent reason.

With all that said, every time I hear of Atheist persecution, I stop and ask myself if I can look into these claims myself. I stop and ask myself if there is a larger picture here that I am missing. Are these people loudmouthed jerks that make spectacles of themselves and make everybody else feel intimidated? Are these alleged persecutions fully in context? Is the spray painting thing actually a hate thing like a religious-KKK sort of deal, or is it just some stupid kids being hateful to somebody different? Are the "adopt a highway" signs in the area clean except for that one, or is (like in my area) it a pretty common thing to find them defaced with graffiti?

I will not deny that there is a certain level of persecution that likely goes on in many areas of the country. I do not doubt that Atheist children are bullied for their lack of spiritual beliefs and things of that nature in some areas. What I do doubt is that it's that serious, and most of these complaints are probably best chalked up to "first world problems".

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join