It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Want to draw - shy/scared to start drawing again

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Hi Gang,

I recognized a few years ago that drawing was helping me deal with some stress after work. However this was eventually eclipsed by the massive stress I encountered when I was moved into a different position with more responsibilities and greater pressure, and during the time of greatest pressure, I had no time, or mental fortitude, to draw or do much of anything.

At last, things are settling down to a lower stress level, at last, and I would like to draw again.

However, I now feel like I had only just started to reach a point where it was starting to flow naturally and I was staring to see some grace in what I put on the paper. Now, I am starting over from scratch. I feel like I lost the skill I had barely started to gain. Is this normal?

My avatar picture is pretty much the best I have done so far, as far as I am concerned. That is a picture of my much loved dog, who passed away during all the awful turmoil, this past year. I would rather not get into a discussion about her as I miss her very much.

Thanks for ypur help!
Gwynn
edit on 31-0520145-1414 by gwynnhwyfar because: Spelling

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 12:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: gwynnhwyfar
Hi Gang,

I recognized a few years ago that drawing was helping me deal with some stress after work. However this was eventually eclipsed by the maassive stress I encountered when I was moved into a different position with more responsibilities and greater pressure, and during the time of greatest pressure, I had no time, or mental fortitude, to draw or do much of anything.

At last, things are settling down to a lower stress level, at last, and I would like to draw again.

However, I now feel like I had only just started to reach a point where it was starting to flow naturally and I was staring to see some grace in what I put on the paper. Now, I am starting over from scratch. I feel like I lost the skill I had barely started to gain. Is this normal?

My avatar picture is pretty much the best I have done so far, as far as I am concerned. That is a picture of my much loved dog, who passed away during all the awful turmoil, this past year. I would rather not get into a discussion about her as I miss her very much.

Thanks for ypur help!
Gwynn

If a person has talent, that talent will show through any work and the will improve with practice.

If a person doesn't have talent, it will show in any work done.

Either way the joy in making a creative piece of work is more important than talent. No talent is just not as profitable as talent.
If you enjoy drawing, then draw.

But you have talent (which I suspect you know) and there is no reason you shouldn't draw.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 12:17 AM
link   
a reply to: gwynnhwyfar

If that is what relaxes you, yes, by all means--get back to drawing!!
Just do it....don't hesitate or question yourself, just go for it
Over time, it will come back to you

If you feel real creative, hop on over to the Avatar Creations thread
We are always looking for new recruits!! LOL

Maybe post some of your work

Wish you the best & hope everything works out for you

Much respect~
snarky

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 12:19 AM
link   
You have talent ..its normal to get rusty at a skill we havent used in a long time ..
Relax .. get some sketchpaper and pencils take your time .. dont give up drawing world needs artists .. wish had artistic talent but have none thus encourage those who do have ..

edit on 31/5/14 by Expat888 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Oh Geez... Thank you for the invite - but I am in awe of the Avatar Creations thread! You folks are amazing! My son just graduated from college with his degree in Graphic Information Technology and I am amazed at what you folks can do.

How would I be able to contribute to all that? I don't have much in the way of skills for Paint or Photoshop or etc, I am blown away with what you guys do in there!

I'm not very skilled, I probably wouldn't get back to anybody in time and they probably wouldn't like whatever I drew. I probably wouldn't like it myself - well, maybe that's a given/the problem.

a reply to: snarky412

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 12:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Expat888
You have talent ..its normal to get rusty at a skill we havent used in a long time ..
Relax .. get some sketchpaper and pencils take your time .. dont give up drawing world needs artists .. wish had artistic talent but have none thus encourage those who do have ..

Thanks very much for the encouraging remarks!!! I really appreciate your time and effort for giving my thread your consideration!

I will try! I embarrassed myself, earlier this past week, because I finally felt inspired and went and grabbed my sketchbook, and tried to draw, and then it just didn't flow, seemed like what I tried to lay down was out of proportion right from the git-go, etc.

It started out ok, but I did poorly in trying to manage the perspective, and did not have enough time to experiment with it, and then the day ended and I lost my subject. :-)

Thanks for help!
Gwynn
edit on 31-0520145-1414 by gwynnhwyfar because:

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Welcome .. no need for embaressment .. just remember take your time .. relax and enjoy
try listening to soft background music while drawing .. I still attempt doing traditional brush painting on occasion even though lack talent .. in time it will come to you

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 01:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Expat888
Welcome .. no need for embaressment .. just remember take your time .. relax and enjoy
try listening to soft background music while drawing .. I still attempt doing traditional brush painting on occasion even though lack talent .. in time it will come to you
Thank you SO much for the encouragement! I really appreciate your help.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 01:15 AM
link   
I call it an "art block" and it seems most artists go through it.
I find being around other creative people really helps getting out of these kinda funks.
Your talent is not lost, you just need to bring it back out. Do some basic practice sketches and doodles, and it will all come flowing in.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 01:22 AM
link   
There are countless educational drawing sites on the web. The one I enjoyed and learned the most from is John Kriscfalusci's blog. He's the guy that created Ren and Stimpy. It leans towards cartoons, but he provides valuable knowledge on the basics of drawing that would apply to any style. Be forewarned, there is an enormous amount of information to absorb here. I'm not sure there is a lot of focus on fine shading and modeling technique there, but his lessons on composition, a much overlooked element of good drawings, are priceless.
johnkstuff.blogspot.com...
edit on 31-5-2014 by skunkape23 because: sentence added

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 01:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: SalientSkivvy
I call it an "art block" and it seems most artists go through it.
I find being around other creative people really helps getting out of these kinda funks.
Your talent is not lost, you just need to bring it back out. Do some basic practice sketches and doodles, and it will all come flowing in.

So, I'm not alone in this? Thank you very much! I really appreciate your response!

This may be a stupid question... I don't think I can call myself an " Artist". When you say "most artists go through it" do you mean real artists? Meaning, people who earn their pay by selling their own art?

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 03:11 AM
link   

LOL I wish! well I mean I get commissions once in a while from friends, but make a living off it? Nope.
Same with pretty much all my other artist friends. We pretty much all have other jobs to pay the bills.

If you draw and create, and enjoy it, then yes you are an artist. It doesn't matter if your skill is as good as the next person, or if you make a million dollars off it... Your still an artist.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 04:30 AM
link   
If I am not sorely mistaken, I have seen some of your drawings here and was absolutely BLOWN AWAY! No joke, no arse kissing... It was excellent work. You should get back to it especially if it relaxes you as well. You have immense talent and that is a gift. Don't waste it another day! Be proud of what you do and have faith in it, because it is so far above good it isn't even funny.

I think your nervousness about getting back into it is normal. But it's like riding a bike... You might be a bit rusty at first, then it will start flowing like you never took a break from it. The urge you are feeling to do it, is just proof that it is time.

I haven't drawn in years myself, but I have always done that. It does take a bit to get back into it and the harder you try, the harder it is to get it right the first few times back. Be patient with yourself and know that you were born with the talent. It's still there and you will find it again and again.

Do it! You can and you should!

edit on 5/31/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Just start drawing. A pencil never hurt anyone. Oh, wait...there are exceptions. Sorry, I had to.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Try this, it always works for me, even when I don't feel like drawing.

Go and do something else, such as watch television or a movie, or even when you are on the phone chatting to someone. Just pick up a bit of scrap and a pencil and doodle. It doesn't matter what, Just don't actually think about having to draw, and you'll just find by the end of it, you'll have a small part of your groove back. Then just rinse and repeat any time you are doing something else, while you just happen to have a writing stick in your hand.

I find if I set everything out, paper, brushes, pens, it's like it's forced and a block usually follows, by switching the "I have to do" part off, it simplifies the process.

edit on 31/5/2014 by 74Templar because: spelling

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Drawing is like having sex on a bicycle... You just can't forget how to do it once you've learned... lol

It happened many times I did some of my best drawings when I had no inspiration or interest to draw. I just kick myself in the chair and let the pen roll until my mind picks up.

To help me get in the right mind frame, I also draw for 5 to 10 minutes, basic forms like circles, squares, triangles, etc, before doing my intended drawing.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Gwynn,

It is perfectly natural to be self conscious about creating something, when you have been out of practice. It does not matter whether you have neglected a much loved instrument, taken time away from playing your favorite sport, or refrained from picking up a pencil for a long time. The feeling which comes about when one is rusty from long periods away from an expressive medium, is daunting to one or another degree for most people who are creative and expressive.

However, the beauty of drawing, in particular, is that you can make a series of marks on a page, and if you dislike the end result, you can do away with those results without anyone being the wiser. At the same time, although you may not have something to show for it for a little while, you will get better with that practice.

Personally speaking, I have had real trouble trying to keep on top of my bass guitar. I keep missing practices that I schedule for myself, sometimes through sheer tiredness, and other times through unexpected events, but no matter the reason, every time I skip practicing, I get rustier and rustier. Trying to get back into the swing of things after an absence is always tough, but I maintain that it is always worth it, whether you like to draw, or slam out massive, chunky riffs!

It is not strange to feel that way, but it is necessary to conquer that feeling, if you intend to move forward!
I wish you the very best of luck with that, and with life in general.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   
You guys are the best! Thank you so much for all the encouraging replies and suggestions!!! I love my ATS family. Now you have inspired me and I am feeling motivated and much less self conscious. I really appreciate all of your kind words and support.

´*•.¸(*•.¸♥¸.•*´)¸.•*´
.......THANK YOU......
.¸.•*(¸.•*´♥`*•.¸)`*•.

edit on 31-0520145-1414 by gwynnhwyfar because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 09:33 PM
link   
"If you want to be a painter, paint."
A quote from Pablo Picasso.
I think the same advice applies to drawing.
Or to quote master Yoda. "Do, or do not. There is no try."

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 10:58 PM
link   

I've been the same way too since my mom kind of stamped it out of me...so far I'm doing crayon doodles in the sketchbook to get me back into the swing of things

new topics

top topics

join