It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House votes to block feds from targeting medical marijuana in states where it's legal

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: HanzHenry
a reply to: Xcathdra

why should someone have to BUY something from a For Profit company at a premium when they can grow it ORGANICALLY on their own for FREE?

plus smoking it provides instant relief AND the cannabis tar has benefits including being beneficial to the lungs.

I was under the impression the medical marijuana laws regulate who can grow and amounts they can grow. Unless that has changed the original questions stands.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

The US Constitution sets the limits on the Federal government, not the states.

The controlled substance act is the basis for this area.

The States and Federal government are separate sovereigns and by design the supremacy clause puts the cards in the hands of the feds.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   
As for those who posted with detailed information - Thank you.

I don't smoke so was curious as to the difference between marijuana and pill form. I guess the other "counter point" would be self medication not always being the best idea.

I tend to view a large chunk of the argument in favor of, no offense to anyone, as nothing more than an excuse to smoke it. I am sure its not the case however based on my experience (law enforcement / medical profession) I have seen more cases of a contrived medical condition in order to justify use.

Hence the reason I asked about the difference between the pharmaceutical position verse the Kottonmouth Kings position.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 08:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
As for those who posted with detailed information - Thank you.

I don't smoke so was curious as to the difference between marijuana and pill form. I guess the other "counter point" would be self medication not always being the best idea.

I tend to view a large chunk of the argument in favor of, no offense to anyone, as nothing more than an excuse to smoke it. I am sure its not the case however based on my experience (law enforcement / medical profession) I have seen more cases of a contrived medical condition in order to justify use.

Hence the reason I asked about the difference between the pharmaceutical position verse the Kottonmouth Kings position.

There are absolutely abuses of the medical system, whether people scheming to get high under false pretense, or people with minor issues which they exaggerate in order to get a card. MMJ does help them with an issue, but they also enjoy simply being high, which begs the question is it wrong to enjoy a cure?

I guess it just boils down to whether or not you care about those "abuses" (which I hesitate to even label as such since laws shouldn't be controlling our bodies anyway) Basically, if someone lies and gets a MMJ card, what's the big deal? And to avoid those abuses you'll be condemning many legitimate patients to a life of crime or a life of pain, with that lovely choice left up to them to think about in addition to their medial issues.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: HanzHenry

why should someone have to BUY something from a For Profit company at a premium when they can grow it ORGANICALLY on their own for FREE?

plus smoking it provides instant relief AND the cannabis tar has benefits including being beneficial to the lungs.

I was under the impression the medical marijuana laws regulate who can grow and amounts they can grow. Unless that has changed the original questions stands.

from the beginning, anyone with a medical card can and are encouraged to grow their own. Everyone is allowed to grow numerous plants, been that way since 1996 when it was first passed.

and i stated it has benefits in the tar. One being the antiseptic affects in the tar help keep lung related bugs from getting a hold, viruses, flu etc.

and as others have stated there are many active compounds in cannabis, THC being only one of many. CBD is one major component.

And the instant relief one feels after smoking can not be matched by waiting for a pill to work. Plus, when using a vaporizer the degradation of being burned is remedied.

cannabis is the MAJOR reason i left federal LE career. I realized the whole war against it is complete D-baggery and a HUGE LIE
edit on 31-5-2014 by HanzHenry because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   
HA GOOD.

Good job GOP.

WOW.

I'm actually impressed. This will KILL Democrats in the next election cycle. The GOP standing up for states rights while democrats stood there and did NOTHING to support what 80% of Americans want.

I dislike all the political parties, but this is a smart move.

~Tenth

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: James1982

the abuse of prescribed pills is FAR worse and FAR more common.

this is a weak argument against marijuana.

alcohol has far worse effects from abuse, FAR FAR worse.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: HanzHenry

State laws vary on who can grow.

As for your comment above about pills. The fact they are prescribed allows better tracking of crime statistics. Either way it all falls under the CSA.

by the way not arguing.. just debating.

edit on 31-5-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I think it's great to see this. It's finally being done by law, not by policy or regulation...which doesn't trump law. It just doesn't. So, this is what has been needed. Congress to make brand new law to invalidate or redefine the old.

SAN DIEGO — An appeals court on Wednesday upheld the federal government’s right to crackdown on California medical marijuana dispensaries complying with state law.

The unpublished ruling by a three-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals addresses a lawsuit from four San Diego dispensaries and a patient, as well as separate but similar suits in Sacramento and the Bay Area.
Source: Court says feds can police pot collectives (Jan 2014)

I think the above is why it has to happen now. Once Congress makes new law, I can't see how it could ever be seen as unconstitutional after it's been passed. Hopefully this is a start to end real internal damage from this 'war'.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 09:11 PM
link   

State laws vary on who can grow.

As for your comment above about pills. The fact they are prescribed allows better tracking of crime statistics. Either way it all falls under the CSA.

by the way not arguing.. just debating.

not true on the pills. People go to multiple doctors and get multiple scripts.

and the whole pharma argument is not based in reality. For Profit pills vs organic home grown.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Creating the ability for law enforcement to track the pills and by extension the person committing the crime since detailed information is needed to obtain the prescription in the first place. Not to mention Hospital networks moving over to electronic records, which allows Doctors in the network to see the patients medical history, including what medications have been prescribed.

Pharmacies, like Walgreens, has the links in place to catch the same person trying to fill similar prescriptions.

The DEA assigns doctors with prescription authority a control number to track.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   

the multi-script is improving somewhat, but it is still pretty easy to work around.

And the issue is the feds going against the people in even considering going after something the people voted on and made law.
The whole purpose of feds is to carry out the wishes of their employer the people.

How in the world can they have the audacity to go against that? think about it for a second.

The people vote something law, then the feds go against them? very telling of a captured people.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   

I don't completely agree with the going against the people sentiment for several reasons. There is going to always be an inherent flaw in our government structure since the Federal government is based on a Representative Republic while our State governments, and by extension state laws, can be compared to a direct democracy. I believe its one of the reasons the founding fathers introduced the supremacy clause into the Constitution.

Secondly if people are willing to get out the vote at the state level then why are they lazy when it comes to removing the Federal reps who were not onboard with legalizing it?

My personal opinion is in line with your sentiments. What a person does in their own house is not the governments business unless the item poses a danger to others.

Either or just trying to understand the other side of the equation. Thanks for the conversation.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Pharmacies, like Walgreens, has the links in place to catch the same person trying to fill similar prescriptions.

Yes, part of Obamacare was to computerize all prescription records.

Don't even try to fill a script early or at a different store (not that you would).

This has really cut down on Renegade Doctors and pill shoppers.

The problem is now they are turning the Pharmacist into A LEO...
edit on 1-6-2014 by whyamIhere because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-6-2014 by whyamIhere because: Clarifier...

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quauhtli
Corporations will start looking at MJ only for the opportunity it has to offer in monetary gain. If you ever thought of it as a controlled substance before it surely will become one now.

I can see the process happening. They will never just erase the criminal charges. But instead little by little they will trickle it down for public use, only under their strict management. It is not beneficial for them to have anyone growing the stuff for their own personal use. They are getting the process down right now, and you can bet after it is all figured out they will have complete control of your backyard garden as well.

For your own safety and well being though.

Ha! I doubt that. The feds can't even clamp down on illegal moonshining. What makes you think they'll be able to control individual pot growing provided it was legal? Heck there are many many many grow houses CURRENTLY in the US and more coming every day. The best the government can do to help get its "cut" from the whole process is what they do with alcohol and tax it. But like I said that will be tough too.

Tptb cannot control this plant anymore. Every step towards legalization lets more awareness of how this plant is not only NOT harmful, but is actually very medically beneficial out into the public consciousness. The cat is out of the bag. As can be see here in the OP, the politicians even at the federal level are finally starting to accept this reality.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: whyamIhere

Obamacare had nothing to do with computerized records and management systems being put in place.

A Pharmacist is not a LEO however, unlike a LEO, they are authorized to fill and dispense controlled narcotics. Fraudulent prescriptions and patient information are not protected under HIPPA. Having a DEA control number requires those who can write / dispense controlled narcotics to report criminal acts.

That's not law enforcement...

Its responsibility towards the person who is breaking the law and placing themselves / others in danger via their fraudulent / illegal actions.

Its no different than a bartender telling a drunk patron they will not be served any more alcohol.

edit on 1-6-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 03:53 AM
link   
a reply to: pez1975

Why don't the totalitarian scum just legalise it and be done with the problem?

After all they can tax said marijuana, hence generate the much needed revenue!

You could even grow and export the stuff, its about time the US started to produce things again, even if it is only growing weed!

And why should it only be available for medical purposes anyway? Considering said HERB is a great deal less destructive to the Human body than Alcohol or Tobacco!

edit on 2-6-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   

I should of said the Obama Administration computerized the records. Not Obamacare.

What I meant by turning Pharmacist into LEO was they are on the front line.

They have to tell the pill shopper no. They have expose themselves to bad people.

I have no problem if the system is used to prevent mixing certain medications.

Just like the drunk hates the bartender. These pill heads hate the Pharmacist.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   
"*buisness man there, drink my wine,
Come and take my herb."-

good news USA..

I liked it was the US that started the DAMN "War on drugs" and so many countries are suffering from the damage from it ever since +1930.....

but I know the herb's history very well...

I would love to see the US to make up fore its mistakes in the pass, some day.

because when the day come . where all the states :have legalized it/selling it.. you need the rest of the world to buy your herb..

TO make the BIG money again...

Off-topic. hope this doesn't mess the T&C but I had a beer the other day and because of the heat. I had the biggest Headache.. would love to see the day, when my country; DENMARK wakes up like: Colorado, Washington, the Netherlands, Portugal and Uruguay

so I don't need too miss a hole day laying in bed and can't do nothing because of my headache and My Fav; painkiller(herb) is ILLEGAL here.

I don't wanna take pills to wait / hope its works in some hours.

Bonus Info:

In 2001, Portugal became the first country in the world to decriminalize the use of all drugs, and started treating drug users as sick people, instead of criminals, although you can be arrested or assigned mandatory rehab if caught several times in possession

edit on 2-6-2014 by kadara_dk because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-6-2014 by kadara_dk because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join