It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Race Roulette

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 10:28 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Here you go..

www.seek.com.au...

The successful candidate

* Be of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander decent

What a joke, it should be available to anyone who is qualified!

edit on 30-5-2014 by AlphaHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: AlphaHawk

Truthfully?

You are correct. Absolutely. Skin hue carries no innate, inherent qualities that promotes one person over another.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I feel your pain, Beez. When they do the mandatory census thang here, it involves all manner of intrusive questions. The census workers say that if I answer all the questions, I can get a coupon for $25 at the local grocers. Well, not that it ain't enough, but there is no amount to allow a stranger to come into my home and list all my appliances, cell phones, entertainment devices, how much I spend per month on clothes, where and how long I go on vacation, political affiliations, and my religion. There is no box for "universalist", nor can I claim to be of the Whig party or a Latter-Day Jacobite.

Just pisses me off. For all I know, these people are casing my home, which is why I insist upon conducting the interview at my work bench outside. And, oh, when it comes to "race".......... oh man. Well, I may have been born a caucasian, but I've been grilled in the outdoor sun for 20 years, and I now consider myself more of an................ icy beige.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 10:45 PM
link   
a reply to: argentus

If I had to absolutely identify myself, if a gun was held to my head and I had to categorize myself, I'd state that I am;
A husband
A father
A veteran
A flawed man
A man who makes mistakes
Yet;
A man who tries to do right.

Where in the #### does race even HAVE to come into it?

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 10:52 PM
link   

EXactly. Your genes play no part in who you are. What if you did a DNA geneology test and listed those results....... would that make them happy? NO! why? because it would be various percentages from groups that wouldn't spell out a neat little label, and the tidy little label is what is wanted.

Thus, I remain icy beige whackamole, of the Latter-day Jacobites -- a rockhawg, a bushmaster, who carpents for a living. Yes, that's a verb.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Because some medical issues are linked to ethnicity and culture (usually diet related) which have a potential impact on your overall health.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 11:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

Because some medical issues are linked to ethnicity and culture (usually diet related) which have a potential impact on your overall health.

I'm mixed a mutt, a hybrid.

Many more of us are. Hopefully one day we'll all be mixed, melded, hybrids and not have to worry about diseases that predominately are associated with alleles that are dominant. So it's not a real concern.

As most diseases that are ethically related only occur with those folks that have parents of the same (I hate this term) race, it is not a real concern from a medical standpoint.

And even then, the racial profile would only be an issue with a diagnosis.

I have a ruptured disc in my L4-L5 region. How is that racially related to anything???

Ole'

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Race should have zero input into anything. Sad truth is it does. In more things than we like to hear about. I'm in America, in the South...trust me we know a thing or two about racism. We as a species will never be able to come to terms with this issue. I can teach my kids not to be racist, but what about the family down the way? Do they teach their kids the same way. Looks as if the answer is no.

We as a species seperate ourselves from one another in every way imaginable. Fat from the skinny, the attractive from the un-attractive, rich from poor, white from black, even down to the car's we drive. I could go on and on on the ways we seperate oyrselves from each other. We do it every day and really arent aware we doing it. It happens where you guys are, it happens in the rich nations and the poorest nations on the planet. We call it racism..it should be called seperatism. We even do it here, within these ATS forums, which you fine gentlemen already know.

We may never ever get over the issue.....I started years ago, I found I can do what I can do and I really can;t concern myself with others and their feelings about it. We are all seperatist's and we can't seem to be able to find a way around it.Good night to you fine folks and be well.Peace OYM1262 Beez, Your list of the things you are adds up to "a good man, not a good white man or black man or purple just a good man. What all men should strive to be.

edit on 30-5-2014 by openyourmind1262 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 11:11 PM
link   

I don't think medical forms care why you need to see the doctor or that you are mixed and therefore think you are immune to ethnic or cultural medical predispositions. Sorry to inject some logic into your rant, though I do agree with you... mixing ethnicity makes for stronger people, I think that's partially why we are nomadic.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 11:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

"Throwing logic into a rant is illogical."
-Spock (if he were an ATS member)

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 11:42 PM
link   
When it comes to filling out medical forms, it pays to be as accurate as possible. Certain diseases, like sickle cell anemia, are more predominate in some races than others. Also, I seem to recall hearing about a certain vaccine that would have an adverse effect on people of African or Mediterranean descent that was in use during the Korean War. It's probably not in use today, but better safe than sorry.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 11:55 PM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom
There may be a time and a place for "racial profiling", but my need for medical attention had nothing to do with race.

As indicated in the form question, " Why are you here today"?

My back is fu##ed up.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Nope .. your not wrong .. its another of the many things that mean nothing ..yet the pc crowd and petty government officials cant comprehend .. just another way of keeping people divided and promoting stupidity ..

Few years ago got up and walked out of a restaraunt in singapore when saw them putting race down on the ticket as the waitress took orders .. cost me one of the backers who donated for clinic that had set up in laos at the time .. meh managed fine without the backer .. refuse to put up with the pc rubbish thats destroying western society and starting to infect asia ..

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Again the form doesn't know or care why you came in. It's a generic form. What if you came in because you're dizzy and feel faint, if you were Indian that might tell the doctor that you're at a higher risk factor for diabetes and that he or she should check your blood sugar.

It's only a windmill.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 02:08 AM
link   
The race issue could also be for statistics as certain ailments can affect different people from other races.

Take the Kaposi sarcoma for example :

Types of Kaposi's sarcoma

Classic Kaposi's sarcoma (KS) - rare; progresses slowly over years and tends to affect elderly men of Mediterranean or Jewish origin.

Endemic or African KS - affects young adult men who live near the African equator and have a normal immune system. Reported to occur in up to 9% of Ugandan men. In some, KS can be aggressive with rapid spread.

Children can also be affected with a form that invades the lymphatics and lymph nodes but not the skin. This is associated with spread to other organs and is usually fatal.

More here : www.patient.co.uk...

And an example of statistics here : cancer-rates-region.findthebest.com...

Interesting info here too : www.patient.co.uk...

Sorry, couldn't find any information about aliens though?

ETA : Something that always gives me a good chortle on those types of forms is when you have to tick the box saying sex... I have always wanted to cross both male and female out and write "yes please"

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 31/5/14 by Rodinus because: Phrase added

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Beez...

I hate to say it, but I think you might have ballsed up a bit here. Your medical history needs to be as complete as possible, and your genetic origins are just part of the wider picture which a doctor can observe, by looking at your notes. People who are from, or descended from certain locations on the planet, have a greater or lesser tendency toward certain specific illnesses, and so an accurate accounting of where your component parts came from, so to speak, is actually an important metric to make a note of.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I agree to a point. But diagnosis of anything would have to include examination and questioning of the patient. To rely on an entry form to see a doctor just doesn't make sense to me.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   
With medical issues race can be important to get correct on the forms. Some diseases and illness happen more in some races than others. It can cue the doctor to look for certain things ... like Sickle Cell or Lupus, etc etc ...

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
a reply to: TrueBrit

I agree to a point. But diagnosis of anything would have to include examination and questioning of the patient. To rely on an entry form to see a doctor just doesn't make sense to me.

Dont forget that your medical records might be passed onto another doc who does not know your case history Beez, so this extra information may be of crucial help to him/her?

Kindest respects

Rod

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
With medical issues race can be important to get correct on the forms. Some diseases and illness happen more in some races than others. It can cue the doctor to look for certain things ... like Sickle Cell or Lupus, etc etc ...

The doc would never see the form though, unless my insurance and ability to pay had anything to do with my eth-. . . . hey!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join