It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British/English national anthem 'God Save the Queen' and citizens who do not believe in gods...

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   
So Kate Middleton heads out on a windy day, dressed in a flimsy mini skirt with no knickers on and we are supposed to believe it was a wardrobe malfunction and those sweet German tainted cheeks shall not be reported on....yeah right

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol
Well, her husband has apparently been chosen by God to be our head of state, and Supreme Governor of the Church of England one day, so perhaps it is all part of the wider plan...have a peek and see what you can't have lol

Funny it was a German mag that published it, giving something back to the ancestors perhaps.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   
On one of my rare trips to Old Trafford, before a 1999 UEFA game, we all sung the national anthem with the lyrics changed to "Dave save the Queen", with reference to Beckham - highly irreverent and amusing!

With nearly 100,000 people singing it, it sort of sums up British attitudes to religion.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: MarsIsRed
Haha brilliant!
It does sort of indicate that the lyrics are in need of an update.
With the numbers of people in Britain who believe in God declining, I wonder at what point such a change could happen, or will people just keep on singing it as a peculiar oddity from the past.

More people attend football matches on a weekend than a Church of England service already, and even the 'few blokes and a dog' attendances of bottom division Scottish league games are to be envied by the average Anglican church lol

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
Well, her husband has apparently been chosen by God to be our head of state, and Supreme Governor of the Church of England one day, so perhaps it is all part of the wider plan...have a peek and see what you can't have lol

Funny it was a German mag that published it, giving something back to the ancestors perhaps.

By the time Kate becomes queen it's her Cheeks that will become wider...a lot wider and not so nice to look at.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   

So will you so I don't think you will mind so much

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   

The famous man united went to rome to see the pope.

(City fan here I love that chant).
edit on 31-5-2014 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I still believe Fergie was classier though..

edit on 31-5-2014 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

So will you so I don't think you will mind so much

By the time she's Queen i'll be long gone.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

The famous man united went to rome to see the pope.

(City fan here I love that chant).

As a (sort of) utd fan I love that chant too!

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Haha I'd never seen that pic before, class!
'God save her slot-machine'

...she didn't do so well in 'the firm' though did she, surprised she didn't have a mystery car crash or something after her "Cash for access" scandal.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   

I always had a thing for fergie...redheads darn them.
Great pic now ingrained on my mind for later

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Swansea fan born n bred, 'Hymns and Arias' for me every time

*Edit*
The way this thread is going it's gonna get put into General Chit-chat or some other forum soon I reckon lol

edit on 31-5-2014 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I'm not sure but I think the leader of a monarchy is supposed to be the mouthpiece of God here on Earth in his or her own kingdom, or that was back in the day, so I don't think you can really separate the two. Either way, they are our betters so we should respect that. If a God, whichever God, chose me to be their mouthpiece I would whistle 'Always look on the bright side of life' and turn many many litres of water into wine or possibly beer. Oh to be King for a day

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: generalspecific
Either way, they are our betters so we should respect that.

So you genuinely believe that a person born in the royal family/line of the throne is automatically 'better' than every other person born in the UK?!
I do not share that opinion, and wow, I now understand why some US folk ridicule us sometimes, oh deary deary me.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   
The National Anthem is crap....and very boring.

Think The Big Yin pretty much sums it up;

ETA

Never understood why England hasn't got its own Anthem just as Scotland and Wales have....but then again it goes along with agenda that all displays of English pride and heritage should be discouraged and viewed as arrogance and racist whereas the same attributes are actively encouraged in the other constituent nations of the UK.

edit on 1/6/14 by Freeborn because: Add ETA

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join