It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why did the "moon ring like a bell" when anything landed on it? Not only American aircraft but Rus

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   
So the moon would have made quite a racket when the two satelites were slung into it not so long ago.????

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: GArnold

God did make a beautiful place, didn't he? When you think of the perfection of everything we see and take part of on a daily basis, it is amazing to see the work of God! Even if you break down the human body in each part individually, it is amazing God could make such a perfect thing! Planets alignments, stars, how each planet serves it's own purpose, so much more! God is great, thanks for letting me take part in this amazing place!!

As for the moon ringing like a bell, that is pretty cool! I have never heard about this, but I imagine there is a reason or purpose for this happening. Good thought process here, it is interesting to think about why this happens...?

I am not going to argue about God so please don't even instigate me.

edit on 5/30/2014 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Blacksmith's anvils 'ring like an bell' and they are solid, albeit solid metal thing don't always have to be hollow to ring like a bell.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   

It has been reported many places the moon rang like a bell for hours after any aircraft landed on it. NASA reported it rang for 4-6 hours.
I was under the impression that these vibrations were measured by Lunar Seismometers. The idea is very interesting but I don’t think it proves the Moon is hollow. Actually it may be quite the opposite as a hollow Moon shouldn’t propagate vibrations in such a way. Things that should effect vibrations are liquid or solid interior and a dense solid core vs. a hollow core. The ways in which vibrations propagate through the Earth help reveal the nature of the interior of the Earth. seismo.berkeley.edu...

How are the rocks from the moon billions of years older than any found on Earth.?
I’m not sure about “billions of years older” since the oldest rock found on Earth was estimated to be 4.4 billion years old. Some Lunar rocks are estimated to be around the same age give or take a few million years. The Earth and Moon are therefore thought to be around the same age. The reason the Earth doesn’t have an abundance of extremely old rocks on the surface is due to plate tectonics. No one knows how or when the Earth and Moon were formed yet the evidence seems to suggest that they were formed around the same time some 4.5-5 billion years ago.

Why has iron brought back from the moon never oxidized?
I haven’t heard this one but I would guess that this is due to an oxygen free environment. Lunar material brought back was most likely in a sealed O2 free container.

How is the moon the exactly right distance from the Earth and Sun to create a perfect solar eclipse.?
This is very interesting and I think it is simply a coincidence. What is also odd is the size of the Moon compared with Earth. Other planet/moon comparisons in our solar system show that our Moon is rather large. Remember that out of millions of potential planets in our galaxy alone we are using only 9 to compare with. Perhaps when we learn more we will find this to be rather common and maybe even learn how this happens.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: pikestaff
Blacksmith's anvils 'ring like an bell' and they are solid, albeit solid metal thing don't always have to be hollow to ring like a bell.

bump
or the sound similar to staged in a hangar lol

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   

"In 1976, the geologist Jack B. Hartung
proposed that this described the formation of the crater Giordano Bruno.

Five monks from Canterbury reported to the abbey's chronicler,
Gervase,
that shortly after sunset on June 18, 1178,
they saw
"the upper horn [of the moon] split in two".
Furthermore, Gervase writes:
"From the midpoint of the division a flaming torch sprang up,
spewing out, over a considerable distance, fire, hot coals and sparks.
Meanwhile the body of the Moon which was below writhed,
as it were in anxiety, and to put it in the words of those who reported it
to me and saw it with their own eyes,
the Moon throbbed like a wounded snake.
Afterwards it resumed its proper state.
This phenomenon was repeated a dozen times or more,
the flame assuming various twisting shapes at random and then returning to normal.
Then, after these transformations,
the Moon from horn to horn, that is along its whole length, took on a blackish appearance."

Giordano Bruno is a 22 km lunar impact crater on the far side of the Moon,

en.wikipedia.org...

More Moon stuff,,

M---O__O--N,,, that spells Moon.

edit on Tue Jun 3 2014 by Jbird because: ex tags

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I have always heard this bit about the moon ringing like a bell, then I saw this thread, so I went looking around. Here is what I found:

link

Apollo 13 was headed homeward. Moments later the 15-ton spent third stage of the Saturn V launch vehicle crashed into the Moon, as planned.

It occurred at 8:09 p.m. EST, April 14. The S-IVB struck the Moon with a force equivalent to 11 1/2 tons of TNT. It hit 85 miles west northwest of the site where the Apollo 12 astronauts had set up their seismometer. Scientists on Earth said, "the Moon rang like a bell."

Back in November 1969, the Apollo 12 astronauts had sent their Lunar Module crash- ing into the Moon following their return to the command craft after the lunar landing mission. That Lunar Module struck with a force of one ton of TNT. The shock waves built up to a peak in eight minutes and con- tinued for nearly an hour.

The seismic signals produced by the impact of s-IVB were 20 to 30 times greater and four times longer than those resulting from the LM crash. Peak intensity occurred in 7 minutes.

The information from these two artificial moonquakes led to reconsideration of theories proposed about the lunar interior. Among puzzling features are the rapid build- up to the peak and the prolonged reverbera- tions. Nothing comparable happens when objects strike Earth.

One theory is that the signal is scattered and repropagated in very deep rubble. An- other holds that the velocities of seismic waves from these impacts are comparable to meas- urements of velocities in crystalline rock. So the crystalline material which the astronauts found so abundant on the Moon's surface may extend very deep into the Moon.

Houston reported the lunar impact of the S-IVB to the spacecraft:

CAPCOMN--By the way, Aquarius, we see the results now from 12's seismometer. Looks like your booster just hit the Moon, and it's rocking a little bit.

SC--Well, at least something worked on this flight... I'm sure glad we didn't have an LM impact, too.

Interesting thread. S&F

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: DustbowlDebutante

Thanks.. very interesting information. In response to the person talking about "ancients" being Egyptians. To me that is not ancient. That is our not too distant past. I am referring to cultures hundreds of thousands of years old. I am leaving for work in a minute.. however I am positive I read before that many of these type cultures make no mention of the moon whatsoever.

In some ways it reminds of the Robbins book "Half asleep in Frog Pajamas". The book discusses the Dogon tribe in Africa which had 0 contact with Western Civilization. Had no scientific equipment.. yet knew the orbits of Sirius and its Sister "stars?"... years before Science confirmed the existence of these.

"""Oneof Tom Robbins' lesser known novels, Half Asleep in Frog Pajamas was published in 1994 by Bantam Books. Like Robbins' other books, the plot involves an eclectic mix of characters and complicated scenarios, and mixes the mundane with the mysterious, in the form of the Sirius mysteries and the mythology surrounding the Dogon Tribe.[1] Unlike his other books, Half Asleep is written entirely in the second person, present tense.

Robbins was a personal friend of Terence McKenna,[2] whose influence is evident in several of his books. A main character in Half Asleep in Frog Pajamas named Larry Diamond advocates a theory similar to those of McKenna, involving psilocybin""""""

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

""""""The Sirius Mystery is a book by Robert K. G. Temple first published by St. Martin's Press in 1976. It presents the hypothesis that the Dogon people of Mali, in west Africa, preserve a tradition of contact with intelligent extraterrestrial beings from the Sirius star-system.[1]

These beings, who are hypothesized to have taught the arts of civilization to humans, are claimed in the book to have originated the systems of the Pharaohs of Egypt, the mythology of Greek civilization, and the Epic of Gilgamesh, among other things. Temple's theory was heavily based on his interpretation of the work of ethnographers Marcel Griaule and Germaine Dieterlen. A substantial bulk of The Sirius Mystery consists of comparative linguistic and mythological scholarship, pointing out resemblances among Dogon, Egyptian and Sumerian beliefs and symbols. Greek and Arab myths and words are considered to a lesser extent.

The “mystery” that is central to the book is how the Dogon allegedly acquired knowledge of Sirius B, the white dwarf companion star of Sirius A, invisible to the naked eye. Temple did not argue that the only way that the Dogon could have obtained what he understood to be accurate information on Sirius B was by contact with an advanced civilization; he considered alternative implausible possibilities, such as a very ancient, advanced, and lost civilization that was behind the sudden appearance of advanced civilization in both Egypt and Sumeria. He personally found the theory of alien contact more convincing, but he did not claim certainty about it. Noah Brosch explained in his book "Sirius Matters" that cultural transfer could have taken place between 19th century French astronomers and Dogon tribe members during the observations of the solar eclipse on 16 April 1893. The expedition, led by Henri Deslandres, stayed in the field for five weeks and it is reasonable that during this time many contacts with the locals took place, and that relatively modern astronomical knowledge was then transferred.""""""

edit on Tue Jun 3 2014 by Jbird because: ex tags

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Because accoring to some the moon is a hollow artificial ancient spaceship or ark ship form a lost age long ago and somewere far far away.
I am serious.

About an hour after sunset on June 18, 1178 A.D., a band of five eyewitnesses watched as the upper horn of the bright, new crescent Moon "suddenly split in two. From the midpoint of this division a flaming torch sprang up, spewing out . . . fire, hot coals and sparks. . .The body of the moon, which was below writhed. . .throbbed like a wounded snake." The phenomenon recurred another dozen times or more, the witnesses reported.

Quivered like a snake, rang like a bell.

copyed from this page, science1.nasa.gov...

unitedcats.wordpress.com...

www.redicecreations.com...
www.theforbiddenknowledge.com...
users.belgacom.net...

Take with a pinch of salt (perhaps a shovel) but perhaps they are onto something, details such as the shallowness of the craters are odd unless like is claimed there is a more heavily armored layer.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: GArnold
a reply to: Mapkar

I would agree with you... Except much of what we thought we know about the moon is wrong. Ancient cultures never mentioned a moon as having existed. The origins of the moon are in fact in total dispute. No one actually knows how it formed or when. That site I linked to has some incredible facts about the moon that defy any explanation so far.

Any source suggesting ancient never mention the moon has no credibility. Not only did ancients mention it, they included it in their religions, and some put great effort into building massive temples for it.

Nanna was the Sumerian god of the moon. Hindu's have Chandra, Egyptian's have Toth, Greek's have Phobe, Mayan's Tecciztecatl, there are many gods and goddesses associated with the moon through out the different cultures of history. That claim is very easy to debunk if you try.

edit on 05pm05pm312014-05-30T17:28:02-05:0005America/Chicago by mahatche because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Here's a post from Nasa about it: www.nasa.gov...

First of all, "ring like a bell" is a euphemism. When struck with part of a craft, seismograms recorded the activity. The vibration resonated for over 10 minutes. Essentially, you have a sharp impulse with energy. That energy has to go somewhere. Objects with resonance (bells), don't tend to lose that energy quickly via friction. They vibrate or resonate. The frequency(s) of this can tell you a lot about the object. There is a certain spectrum one would expect from a spherical object. If it doesn't match this spectrum, then something more complicated is going on. Vibrating for over 10 minutes from an impulse of energy was quite surprising to lunar science, i.e. it was expected that friction between the particles of the moon would dampen it out quickly. However, it was more rigid than expected, and it "rang like a bell".

I would conjecture, that if one were in a space suit, you *might* be able to feel it through your feet vibrating.

If someone could dig up the data, a spectral analysis would reveal more than the short Nasa article.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: CyberGarp

If someone could dig up the data, a spectral analysis would reveal more than the short Nasa article.

Thismight be the information you're referring to, but I'm not certain. I'm not so scientifically minded as many of the members here.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Because it's a giant, hollow space craft. The moon is an odd thing and doesn't make sense, really. Some scientists have even called it "artificial".

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   

a reply to: DustbowlDebutante

Thanks.. very interesting information. In response to the person talking about "ancients" being Egyptians. To me that is not ancient. That is our not too distant past. I am referring to cultures hundreds of thousands of years old. I am leaving for work in a minute.. however I am positive I read before that many of these type cultures make no mention of the moon whatsoever.

So your idea of ancients not mentioning the moon is based on hypothetical views of prehistoric people? As far as I know we have a few bones, and some crude tools, but no real recorded history.

The closest we'd have are cave paintings, and the oldest known cave paintings are only about 40,000 years old, which is still to recent for your standard of ancient. Still there are some old cave paintings that do show the moon. In France there is even a 15,000 year old lunar calendar.

if prehistoric times are your standard for validation I'm afraid you'll come to the conclusion that nothing is real.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 06:14 PM
link   
They must not have secured the obligatory on-board gong properly. Sorry OP, good thread; I'm tired (before this I was aimlessly wandering through ATS Euromaster looking at tyres before realising the site wasn't gonna quench my thirst for insights into the unknown - although concerns over discounts on my tyre needs have been dramatically reduced). They may have tripped the 'extraterrestrial bases' absurd brass security system in their ignorant wake. Starred & still don't know how to flag (probably can't yet; NOOB etc. - booze please!)
edit on 3052014 by JackintheHood because: drunken typo

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 06:24 PM
link   

the rocks being older there are theories about but not of them are universally accepted as being true.
OK so 99.999% of scientists think plate tectonics explains the age difference, and because of the 0.001% dissenting you say that's not universally accepted? That's a bit of a stretch, don't you think? It's like saying there's a scientific debate about whether evolution happened or not. There is no debate among scientists about whether plate tectonics or evolution happened. Of course they debate the details, but none of those details suggest the moon is much older than the Earth, just most moon rocks are older than most Earth rocks for reasons which are well-understood and not mysterious.

originally posted by: Skywatcher2011
Furthermore, where is the sound capture proof of this?
0.5-2 Hz are not audible frequencies. Human hearing doesn't go much below 20 Hz.

But if you stood near an impact I'm sure you could feel the vibration of the initial impact in the ground, from your feet. The intensity of the echoes diminished so much that while instruments recorded those, you probably wouldn't feel them.

originally posted by: InverseLookingGlass
Did they mention the frequency of the ringing?
The frequency shown in the analysis posted by DustbowlDebutante is apparently 0.5-2 Hz

originally posted by: DustbowlDebutante
This might be the information you're referring to

originally posted by: pikestaff

Good point. Also, note that watermelons don't ring like a bell. So why do anvils ring and not watermelons? Because the watermelon isn't as stiff. The harder anvil loses less impact energy in deformation than the watermelon, and therefore rings longer. Since the moon is smaller, cooler and harder than Earth, it is thus not surprising at all it rings longer than the Earth when impacted. This isn't a mystery at all and on the contrary it's exactly what I'd expect, though I wouldn't have expected 4 hours of vibrations, but I definitely expect the moon to vibrate longer than the Earth after an impact, and it does.

edit on 30-5-2014 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   

The Moon’s mean density is 3.34 gm/cm3 (3.34 times an equal volume of water) whereas the Earth’s is 5.5. What does this mean?
In 1962, NASA scientist Dr. Gordon MacDonald stated,

"If the astronomical data are reduced, it is found that the data require that the interior of the moon is more like a hollow than a homogeneous sphere."

Nobel chemist Dr. Harold Urey suggested the moon’s reduced density is because of large areas inside the moon where is "simply a cavity."

MIT’s Dr. Sean C. Solomon wrote,

"the Lunar Orbiter experiments vastly improved our knowledge of the moon’s gravitational field... indicating the frightening possibility that the moon might be hollow."

In Carl Sagan’s treatise, Intelligent Life in the Universe, the famous astronomer stated, "A natural satellite cannot be a hollow object."

Now from wiki

NASA astronaut Neil Armstrong described the Moon as "ringing like a bell," leading to arguments that it must be hollow like a bell. Lunar seismology experiments since then have shown that the lunar body has shallow "moonquakes" that act differently from quakes on Earth, due to differences in texture, type and density of the planetary strata, but no evidence of any large empty space inside the body

en.wikipedia.org...

Apart from that, anyone can see that our Moon does not obey the laws of Physics! There are, for example, 2 faces on the Moon. Have you ever, EVER, seen them upside down? No! Have you ever, EVER, seen the rear side of the Moon? No! Then how the Moon turns around itself like every other planet? Well, IT DOES NOT!!! Make the experiment on your own, ATS members, and you will see that something is really wrong with our Moon!

So based on Armstrong and taking into consideration that Moon does not obey the laws of the Universe, the laws of Physics, NASA's "explanations" about the "ringing Moon" are simply bovine excrements.

Or shall we mention Grote Reber, who in 1930 caught with his radio telescope radio waves from within the surface of our Moon?

Read this webpage please, it is really interesting

www.bibliotecapleyades.net...

and please pay attention to the words of Isaac Asimov who said "There is no astronomical reason why the moon and the sun should fit so well. It is the sheerest of coincidences, and only the Earth among all the planets is blessed in this fashion".

Please, do explain to me all these bad coincidenses about our Moon and please do your best to defend the theory that "Our Moon is a normal moon".

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: JesusChristwins

The Moon’s mean density is 3.34 gm/cm3 (3.34 times an equal volume of water) whereas the Earth’s is 5.5. What does this mean?
In 1962, NASA scientist Dr. Gordon MacDonald stated,

"If the astronomical data are reduced, it is found that the data require that the interior of the moon is more like a hollow than a homogeneous sphere."
If the moon had the same distribution of elements and compounds as the Earth, then yes something would be wrong with the density difference. But the most popular moon formation hypothesis of an impact with Thea (a Mars sized object) forming the moon posits that it knocked off some of the Earth's less dense crust, and not the more dense core.

When this less dense impact debris coalesced, it would of course be less dense even if solid. The moon undoubtedly has subsurface hollows like rilles (empty lava tubes), just as the Earth has caves, but neither can be substantially hollow according to the laws of physics, and the density of the moon is well explained without any hollows by the impactor formation hypothesis.

In Carl Sagan’s treatise, Intelligent Life in the Universe, the famous astronomer stated, "A natural satellite cannot be a hollow object."
Right, and he apparently understood physics pretty well. He never suggested the moon was hollow, did he?

Apart from that, anyone can see that our Moon does not obey the laws of Physics! There are, for example, 2 faces on the Moon. Have you ever, EVER, seen them upside down? No! Have you ever, EVER, seen the rear side of the Moon? No! Then how the Moon turns around itself like every other planet? Well, IT DOES NOT!!! Make the experiment on your own, ATS members, and you will see that something is really wrong with our Moon!
This again is something which physics predicts, called Tidal locking, and no your lack of knowledge of physics does not constitute a mystery. Learn more physics, mystery solved. Start with that link.

and please pay attention to the words of Isaac Asimov who said "There is no astronomical reason why the moon and the sun should fit so well. It is the sheerest of coincidences, and only the Earth among all the planets is blessed in this fashion".
Coincidences happen. It's an interesting coincidence, but still, a coincidence. Keep in mind that in the past the moon was apparently closer to the Earth so this wasn't the case, and in the future the moon will be further from the Earth so the apparent disk will be smaller than the sun, since the moon is receding from the Earth at about 4 centimeters per year.

Please, do explain to me all these bad coincidenses about our Moon and please do your best to defend the theory that "Our Moon is a normal moon".
My previous reply addressed one of your other points so see that also. Nobody said our moon is "normal", it's the largest moon in the solar system relative to the host planet, but no reason to freak out over this with only 4 rocky planets in our entire solar system. We don't know exactly how the solar system formed but simulations show it was probably a chaotic process, so such chaos can cause interesting things to happen, but none of them appear to defy the laws of physics.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: JesusChristwins

You might want to step back and take a look at some other sources on some of the subjects you listed.

Take Grote Reber for example. he did not start doing radio astronomy until 1937.

The moon rotates about it's axis at about once every 27.3 Earth days......and it's orbit about the Earth takes 27.3 days.......and because of that, you will only see one side of it from Earth.

That's normal physics at work. Abnormal physics would be if the Moon orbited the Earth in one day at the same distance it's at now, yet somehow stayed in orbit....THAT would be defying physics.

The moons rotation time and orbital time are easily repeated with either math or physical models.

Running around here on ATS and telling people that it can not be tested, or that it's defying physics, makes me wonder about your knowledge of physics in the first place........

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientiaFortisDefendit
I'm still trying to figure out what is meant by "ringing", since there is no atmosphere on the moon or in space through which sound waves need to travel. Is that an analogy for something else?

Are you stating sound waves cannot travel through space?

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join