It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rape more common thank smoking in U.S

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   
We can criminalize rape all we want, but, that's not going to stop it. As long as humans exist, rape will happen.
It doesn't matter how much we educate and how horrible it is. We're animals and there are always going to be those that cannot suppress their carnal desires or need for that power expression and force themselves upon others. I'm not saying it's pointless to try, because I think we've done a great job on keeping those numbers down. However, it's never going to go away.

And it's a cheap shot to position smoking and rape in the same headline, once again attempting to correlate and promote smoking as evil.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Bit of a sensationalised title you got there OP.
I know a couple of guys who have been arrested for rape both went all the way to court and in one occassion it was proved she didn't even sleep with him it was just horrid for him..lost his job family everything. The girl who accussed him got three months for wrecking his life.
These types of women are disgusting because it harms the real rape victims.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: gottaknow

I'm a smoker... But come on guys we all know it's evil. :p

So I have no problem with the title or topic.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
The numbers in India would probably be higher if the women there felt safe reporting the rapes that occur.

I've also known friends that have been accused of rape because the other party regretted having sex. I would imagine something like that would be more prevalent in a "sue happy" nation like the USA.

Very true. You risk being raped a second time by the police or possibly murdered by your family to preserve honour. Very few rapes are reported out there.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   
lol... people worried about a sensationalist title but got not problems passing out generalized and uneducated remarks .. Rape is heavily under reported in US too as per the opening thread why target one country unless it is some way of making it a feel good about yourself .

This has been happening in India for ages only difference is more awareness is coming out in recent times and Authorities are acting on it . Why the fuss now and why are trolls so hell bent on spreading Xenophobia all of a sudden. Especially in western media . People are too worried about Generising an entire community than asking specific questions which would happily answer ...
edit on 30-5-2014 by maddy21 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Rape is more prevalent than smoking?

Jesus Christ!

I smoked Two packs today

That means in the next 24 hrs i'll be raped over 60 times....

I'm never leaving my house.

edit on 30-5-2014 by criticalhit because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Oh snap, hate it when statistics don't quite tell the whole picture...

However, there is evidence that chance was not entirely indiscriminate when selecting the 27.5% of responders when one compares the NISVS sample and the US population on several socio-economic characteristics. In contrast to the US population, participants in the NISVS were more likely to have a college or advanced degree (36.4% versus 29.6%), more likely to be divorced (12.9% versus 10.3%), more likely to never have been married (30.2% and 26.1%), and more likely to have an annual household income that was below the federal poverty level (19.6% versus 12.1%).

The NISVS has an important public health message but it is unclear to which public it applies.

Rape is a problem worldwide yes - but pointing fingers an trying to tease out whose "got it worse" does not begin a conversation...
edit on 30-5-2014 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 09:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: maddy21
lol... people worried about a sensationalist title but got not problems passing out generalized and uneducated remarks .. Rape is heavily under reported in US too as per the opening thread why target one country unless it is some way of making it a feel good about yourself .

This has been happening in India for ages only difference is more awareness is coming out in recent times and Authorities are acting on it . Why the fuss now and why are trolls so hell bent on spreading Xenophobia all of a sudden. Especially in western media . People are too worried about Generising an entire community than asking specific questions which would happily answer ...

So, I gather your point to be that no one should bother being offended in the first place? A "you do it, too, so why complain" stance? Geez, I'd love to hear your opinion on fundamentalist religious treatment of women and kids worldwide (not just the Muslims, fundie Christian sects exist, too)

Explain to me why because my country (USA) has similar/identical problems that it precludes me from having an opinion on that similar/identical issue elsewhere in the world? For all the hippe-centric "we're all on this rock together" kumbaya stuff going around lately, no one wants to really practice what they preach much. I'm not saying hey, let's invade India and fix their system (like THAT would work) but acknowledging common issues goes a long way towards resolving them globally. For eff's sake, the cold shoulder never solved anything. Global outrage and pressure has at least helped India tighten their laws a bit.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

So, I gather your point to be that no one should bother being offended in the first place? A "you do it, too, so why complain" stance? Geez, I'd love to hear your opinion on fundamentalist religious treatment of women and kids worldwide (not just the Muslims, fundie Christian sects exist, too)

Explain to me why because my country (USA) has similar/identical problems that it precludes me from having an opinion on that similar/identical issue elsewhere in the world? For all the hippe-centric "we're all on this rock together" kumbaya stuff going around lately, no one wants to really practice what they preach much. I'm not saying hey, let's invade India and fix their system (like THAT would work) but acknowledging common issues goes a long way towards resolving them globally. For eff's sake, the cold shoulder never solved anything. Global outrage and pressure has at least helped India tighten their laws a bit.

Having an opinion is one thing , attacking an entire culture people and race because of a crimes of a few is stupid and nonsensical .. Global outrage did squat , its Indians themselves who have been doing the work . Maybe next time you want to make an opinion, don't generalize 1.2 billion people with a specific crime, especially when things are actually worse in the western world as per the opening post. Attack others about something but when criticism comes to your doorstep it becomes too hard to swallow .. Hypocrisy ?

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 09:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: LadySkadi

Rape is a problem worldwide yes - but pointing fingers an trying to tease out whose "got it worse" does not begin a conversation...

That is precisely my point .. my intention was to show the mirror with those who were criticizing a demonizing an entire people . That is all . Of-course, that did not go well . Easier to dish criticism and bias but to hard to swallow it when your on the receiving end

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Having an opinion is one thing , attacking an entire culture people and race because of a crimes of a few is stupid and nonsensical .. Global outrage did squat , its Indians themselves who have been doing the work . Maybe next time you want to make an opinion, don't generalize 1.2 billion people with a specific crime, especially when things are actually worse in the western world as per the opening post. Attack others about something but when criticism comes to your doorstep it becomes too hard to swallow .. Hypocrisy ?

Ok sweetheart, no offense, but look who's talking about generalizing. If you care to actually pay attention to the posts in that thread, you'll notice that I, and several others, did no such generalizing at all. Yes, some did, take up your issue directly with them. But for someone to generalize, while complaining about generalizations, that's just laughable. Look up the definition of 'hypocrite' before calling others it.
edit on 5/30/2014 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 09:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

Ok sweetheart, no offense, but look who's talking about generalizing. If you care to actually pay attention to the posts in that thread, you'll notice that I, and several others, did no such generalizing at all. Yes, some did, take up your issue directly with them. But for someone to generalize, while complaining about generalizations, that's just laughable. Look up the definition of 'hypocrite' before calling others it.

This is new ... can you quote me where i said Americans are rapists , Americans are uncivilized or so on . I simply said Rape is an issue in America as well . I Never generalized . Blaming me for something i never did won't help you .
As i noticed, people just want to seem to avoid the thread topic and go on a tangent either by blaming the OP or blaming the thread title... funny actually . I suggest you check the meaning of the word yourself .

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I might get flamed by feminists here, but what does Centers for Disease and Control define as 'rape' ? Something tells me this statistic isn't counting only 'force-able' rape (Woman taken to a dark alley or house broken into, and other similar circumstances). If it is counting when a woman has a regrettable one night stand and how drunk women cannot legally consent, then this statistic isn't horribly shocking, and at risk of sounding like some religious nutjob, I'm going to say that it is the women putting themselves in these positions by allowing themselves to get out of control drunk.

I've been to parties like this here and there, and how drunk I've seen women get, the fault isn't entirely on the men. If you want to fault men for asking to take a girl home who has been drinking to much, you have to fault her for getting herself that way in the first place (I'm NOT TALKING ABOUT WOMEN WHO ARE DRUGGED, so don't go there, that is obviously not on them). Betting dollars to dimes, I'm sure most men aren't violent rapists, and a huge majority of them again are probably drunk themselves when they take that drunk girl home. But because they are men in this increasingly feminist society, it is their fault anyway.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   

This is new ... can you quote me where i said Americans are rapists , Americans are uncivilized or so on . I simply said Rape is an issue in America as well . I Never generalized . Blaming me for something i never did won't help you .
As i noticed, people just want to seem to avoid the thread topic and go on a tangent either by blaming the OP or blaming the thread title... funny actually . I suggest you check the meaning of the word yourself .

What you said was this:

Maybe next time you want to make an opinion, don't generalize 1.2 billion people with a specific crime, especially when things are actually worse in the western world as per the opening post. Attack others about something but when criticism comes to your doorstep it becomes too hard to swallow .. Hypocrisy

You didn't say anything about Americans being rapists, but nice try after the fact at deflecting from the comment you wrote. You literally just generalized the thread's responses. All of them. Add to that, your wording implies talking directly to me. If that was incorrect, I suggest you reword it to avoid confusion. Otherwise, I assume you to mean I have no opinion because you think I agreed with the poster who did generalize the country, which I most certainly did not. Then you take a nice swipe at everyone by capping the comment off with 'Hypocrisy?' there.

Do you see the issue here? At all? You're generalizing Americans just as much as that one poster did to Indians. You, in essence, are as much a hypocrite as you proclaim us to be.
edit on 5/30/2014 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 10:04 PM
link   
One rape, forced on even one woman or child or human being period...is too freaking much. Why is it about who has more the US or India? How about any freaking rape anywhere in the freaking world is a problem and all rapists are a plague on humanity.

I get what you are saying, it seems rather hypocritical to throw racism at a whole country, but this is the msm. they only throw the bad news our way so all everyone sees and hears makes us assume we know the whole deal, we do not. These are the stories we hear.

This particular one was pretty despicable to read and then the pics no less, god it just eats at the pit of my stomach. Of course it will bring the filthiest things out of people's mouth because most of us (myself included) have no other way of dealing with the knowledge of such heinous acts. These things are hard for people to understand, but if you were to look through the threads of most of the people you are angered at... you would likely not find the racists you see but people who simply want justice for wrongs that are committed.

Point is people are quick to anger, it is natural to not always think before we speak, but words said in anger do not always show a persons true colors.

edit on 30-5-2014 by brandiwine14 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 10:06 PM
link   

You didn't say anything about Americans being rapists, but nice try after the fact at deflecting from the comment you wrote. You literally generalized the thread's responses. All of them. Add to that, your wording implies talking directly to me. If that was incorrect, I suggest you reword it to avoid confusion. Otherwise, I assume you to mean I have no opinion because you think I agreed with the poster who did generalize the country, which I most certainly did not. Then you take a nice swipe at everyone by capping the comment off with 'Hypocrisy?' there.

Do you see the issue here? At all? You're generalizing Americans just as much as that one poster did to Indians. You, in essence, are as much a hypocrite as you proclaim us to be.

Seriously, you somehow figured that post to be generalizing Americans ? Its one thing to generalize thread responses in a forum and something else completely to generalize an entire community of people . My response was clearly aimed at those quick to generalize , that was pretty obvious . Scraping at the bottom of the barrel to find a contradictory statement of mine

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 10:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: brandiwine14
One rape, forced on even one woman or child or human being period...is too freaking much. Why is it about who has more the US or India? How about any freaking rape anywhere in the freaking world is a problem and all rapists are a plague on humanity.

I get what you are saying, it seems rather hypocritical to throw racism at a whole country, but this is the msm. they only throw the bad news our way so all everyone sees and hears makes us assume we know the whole deal, we do not. These are the stories we hear.

This particular one was pretty despicable to read and then the pics no less, god it just eats at the pit of my stomach. Of course it will bring the filthiest things out of people's mouth because most of us (myself included) have no other way of dealing with the knowledge of such heinous acts. These things are hard for people to understand, but if you were to look through the threads of most of the people you are angered at... you would likely not find the racists you see but people who simply want justice for wrongs that are committed.

Point is people are quick to anger, it is natural to not always think before we speak, but words said in anger do not show a persons true colors.

I agree , problem in India is 3 states which are governed by HORIBBLE state govt. , so bad they went to the extant of saying "boys make mistakes " when asked about rape . States in the south and in the east like Gujarat and Punjab have very good track record of protecting women also those in the east , now seem to be a problem because of massive amount of illegal immigrants or the N.E tribals over there will simply murder you for even looking at their women the wrong way. The problem is states in India like U.P and Bihar and Delhi which i have noticed are unruly due to bad administration , joblessness and lack of education for decades . If you decided to check rape cases in India in last 5 years in the MSM you will notice 90% of them come from U.P and Delhi . But considering now we have a lot better and stronger govt. i expect things to change soon ...

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I never realized just how horrific rape could be until my niece came home from school one day with a friend in tow, both were 11. Her friend had been raped that day at school and was too ashamed to go home. I saw some cut marks on her face and thought she had been in a fight and started pestering her for some information out of concern. She eventually went home after some consoling, but we never knew until much later she had been raped.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Are prison rapes counted?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join