It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rape more common thank smoking in U.S

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   
This thread is in response to certain outrageous generalized and ignorant and downright Racist comments on the following thread

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Rape more common than smoking in the US

The United States is experiencing an epidemic of sexual violence. New findings from the National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey (NISVS), a study launched by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention in 2010, report that nearly 1 in 5 women are estimated to have been the victims of rape

In 2010, the study estimates that 1.27 million American woman were raped--equivalent to one woman every 29 seconds--and 5.1 million were stalked--equivalent to one woman every 7 seconds.

www.significancemagazine.org...

1 women raped every 29 seconds ? 1.27million raped in 1 year ? that is a rather sad statistics isn't it ... Certainly does not give you any right to talk in such reprehensible fashion about Indians or any other nations ..

But of course, one would expect rapes to be reported in the US due to their rather superior policing and quick justice system, right....RIGHT ??

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Census Bureau for the Bureau of Justice Statistics -- which counted 188,380 victims of rape and sexual assault in 2010. Another data source, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey, counted nearly 1.3 million incidents that same year. Data from the FBI, which gathers its statistics on rape or attempted rape reported as a crime by local law enforcement, counted only 85,593 in 2010.

www.rainn.org...

97% of Rapists will never spend a day in Jail

As per wiki rape statistics

India 1.8 raped per 1,00,000
U.S 27.3 raped per 1,00,000

If only 1 in 10 rapes in India is recorded, then the rape numbers per 100,000 go from 1.8 to 18. This is still substantially less than the 27.3 in the United States.

In 2012, the conviction rate for rape was 24.2% in India

www.theguardian.com...
The first Europe-wide study of rape conviction rates shows that the proportion of cases resulting in a conviction has fallen to 6.5 per cent in England and Wales, and just 2.9 per cent in Scotland.

news.msn.com...
The arrest rate for rape cases In U.S was only 24 percent. For those arrested, only 37 percent were prosecuted, the Center for Research on Violence Against Women reported that same year. Then, only 18 percent of prosecuted cases resulted in a conviction.

So can we stop this disease of defaming and generlaising an entire country to the point were you paint 1.2billion people as uncivilised and rapists . Now here i clearly prove that western nations are no better . I know very well 90% of you folks will reply with stats from India but that won't really help solve your problems ..will it ?
edit on 30-5-2014 by maddy21 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Here is a good one. Smoking actually dampens sexual drive, so there should be more cases of rape done by nonsmokers by this philosophy. So the less people smoking, the higher the possible rape rates.

Coffee lowers sex drive in men also. Alcohol, bananas, pineapple, and some other substances raises sex drive by raising levels of testosterone.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Right there are scum everywhere. Throwing stones with glass houses and all.

+3 more 
posted on May, 30 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   
The numbers in India would probably be higher if the women there felt safe reporting the rapes that occur.

I've also known friends that have been accused of rape because the other party regretted having sex. I would imagine something like that would be more prevalent in a "sue happy" nation like the USA.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   
if there is one thing i find strange, it is generalizing people based on imaginary boxes placed around them. obviously i am speaking of boundaries.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
The numbers in India would probably be higher if the women there felt safe reporting the rapes that occur.

I've also known friends that have been accused of rape because the other party regretted having sex. I would imagine something like that would be more prevalent in a "sue happy" nation like the USA.

Again , stop generalizing an entire country and stop giving silly excuses for rapes in your own country .. Indian middle income population is extremely high so the same concept applies here as well .. Rapes are being reported in large numbers and conviction is also a lot better . The above point is scraping at the bottom of the barrel to somehow prove you are better .

There are a lot of other complex issues involved which you would find boring , but i expect things to get a lot better in next 5 years and i mean a lot lot better ...

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   
More common than smoking?

An estimated 18,325,000 adult US women smoke.

What is with all the sensationalism lately...you would think people would have figured out, by now, that sensationalism hurts the cause...it doesn't help it.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: maddy21

I'm not generalizing, and I'm not giving excuses. There is no excuse for rape, period.

The American stats would be probably higher if more men weren't afraid to speak up.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: peck420
More common than smoking?

An estimated 18,325,000 adult US women smoke.

What is with all the sensationalism lately...you would think people would have figured out, by now, that sensationalism hurts the cause...it doesn't help it.

Not my heading , i just provided the heading in the top link

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

I'm not generalizing, and I'm not giving excuses. There is no excuse for rape, period.

The American stats would be probably higher if more men weren't afraid to speak up.

AM just tired as hell with the blatant and false and rather uninformed remarks by certain individuals . There was another thread which stated " You can now officially rape your wife in India " . The thread was not taken down despite me alerting the mods to the specific constitution article which proves that thread wrong

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Rape, being a real problem, does not need to be sensationalized by comparing it to smoking. That is a ludicrous comparison and a silly title.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: maddy21
Not my heading , i just provided the heading in the top link

I understand that...TOS and all.

I just hate the sensationalism that is used to 'draw attention', when all it does is load ammunition for rebuttals and trivializations.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   

I can understand your frustration and also how you lash out on americans but maybe is worth mentioning that this board is not made up by only americans. It is a very multinational place and is hard to say where an OP is from, unless stated otherwise.

So in all honesty I don't see it right that you compare India's statistics with those of USA. Not only you wrongfully assume that the op is american but you also attack all americans in your post.

It is horrible what has happened to those two poor girls. I as a parent I can't stop shaking by that display. Personally I'd spend my energy and thought process on the act rather than comparing data with other countries. Maybe deep down (and I'm not being racist) what has happened is not that impressive to you.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire
Rape, being a real problem, does not need to be sensationalized by comparing it to smoking. That is a ludicrous comparison and a silly title.

I totally agree -- it IS a real problem. Where I live sexual assault of minors and minorities is a massive problem. It's partially a "cultural" thing, and partially due to the cold/dark/alcoholism. It's really, really sad.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Telos

I can understand your frustration and also how you lash out on americans but maybe is worth mentioning that this board is not made up by only americans. It is a very multinational place and is hard to say where an OP is from, unless stated otherwise.

So in all honesty I don't see it right that you compare India's statistics with those of USA. Not only you wrongfully assume that the op is american but you also attack all americans in your post.

It is horrible what has happened to those two poor girls. I as a parent I can't stop shaking by that display. Personally I'd spend my energy and thought process on the act rather than comparing data with other countries. Maybe deep down (and I'm not being racist) what has happened is not that impressive to you.

I have noticed Majority are and 90% of the threads in ATS seems to be either related to American economy, obama, gun control Monsanto , NASA and everything related to US..So i came to that conclusion most would be American. But nowhere will you ever find me generalizing Americans ... No where will i say or have i ever generalized all Americans to any particular crime ..

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Again , stop generalizing an entire country and stop giving silly excuses for rapes in your own country .. Indian middle income population is extremely high so the same concept applies here as well .. Rapes are being reported in large numbers and conviction is also a lot better . The above point is scraping at the bottom of the barrel to somehow prove you are better.

Really? I guess you missed the threads about how 1 in 5 girls in college in the U.S. report being victims of some sort of sexual assault and the threads about the exposés calling attention to the incidence of sexual assault and sexual harassment in the U.S. military?

You, more than anyone else, have been doing the nationalist finger pointing.
edit on 2014-5-30 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

I think some of that has to do with the fact we have expanded the definition of rape in America. In some cases we should have. In others it's far more questionable.

Like there was a push for awhile that said if a girl was intoxicated she couldn't give permission for sex. Basically leaving it open for regret to become rape real fast.

Now in other cases like a man raping his wife it should have been expanded.

I just think we have to realize there are 2 lives ruined when rape allegations are leveled. Weather the allegations are true or not.
edit on 30-5-2014 by ArtemisE because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: ArtemisE

As explosive a topic as that can be, and as badly as some ignorant politicians and others have blown approaching it? I think you're right about that and that is how it has happened in some cases.

Expanded in very necessary ways with some....Expanded to abuse by the law itself, in others.

Whatever the case though, I go with the FBI research on this to say the vast majority, if not all Rape is about power, control and dominance over another human being. That doesn't seem nation sensitive to me, and I'd suggest it definitely isn't. Not to India, or the US, or Africa...where rape as a weapon and tactic of war isn't just done, it's half way common in some areas.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Smoking tobacco, while having no real medicinal effects or qualities, is a voluntary activity (for the one smoking it, forget anyone nearby.) The heinous, under-reported, and ludicrously punished crime of rape is a dark and persistent reality of existence, and not just for humans. As an adult male with a more than adequate sex drive, I've always been ashamed of the way that other men describe and treat women and have taken pride in the way I've treated and defended women. One reason I've committed to never creating a family is that my own life has been threatened and jeopardized by that very defense. Men have tried to rape women that were in my company and under my care, if you can believe the nerve. No means no, every time, and an intoxicated woman can't consent you greaseballs of the world.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Hi OP.

Two words: Sprurious Correlations.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join