It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SWAT team throws stun grenade in toddler's crib

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: hellobruce

The point I had in mind was that this didn't seem an 'ordinary' raid with just the door smashed in and a noisy lot of cops waving batons etc crowding in.

For the cops to have thrown a grenade inside I can only imagine they must have thought this was some kind of drug house with combatants waiting for them inside. I only hope that it was not all a dreadful mistake for which I expect the Courts will handle compensation for, not that that ever truly compensates. I am reading constantly that the police are becoming every more brutal when dealing with the public and perhaps this will be the situation that sickens so much, it breaks this chain of police behaviour - not that some people are pretty evil when facing cops.

I don't know about the Child's mother and her fitness to be a mother. If she freely chose to live in a 'dangerous' situation with her children, then I don't doubt when she goes to Court if implicated, her children will be taken into care for their safety. Either way I think its a terrible situation and something needs to be done, to try to ensure that grenades are not tossed discriminently around during raids on homes with children in them.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz
This is a very tragic story. Obviously, some posters have not read the whole story from provided sources. My heart goes out to this family, there is no reason to think they even had a clue they were in a home with drugs. There is no reason to demonize them as parents. I have to believe that the SWAT team had no follow up on the possible occupants within this home, before following their orders. I would hope that such a warrant wasn't issued due to only an one time small sale of drugs. I imagine there must be more to this story than what has been released. if not, Violent measures for arresting non-violent offenders, do seem quite overboard for cases such as this.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: HawkeyeNation
I feel bad for the child. But this is a true case of being at the wrong place at the wrong time. The fault needs to go to the individuals living there because their illegal activity was the root cause to this. Without their illegal activity none of this would happened.

Lol do you understand what "root cause" means? I'm pretty sure the root cause here is a delusional stance on drugs, if the police didn't take such extreme measures in the first place then none of this would have happened. Not only did failed laws create this situation, bad training and negligence on part of the SWAT team also caused this. They didn't have to bust into a home with children using such extreme force, in fact they didn't have to bust in at all, if they had of just minded their own business and respected the privacy of the people in the home, instead of trying to save them from themselves by arresting them and ruining their lives much more quickly than any drug would have, none of this would have happened.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   
If the police do not use these grenades often enough then funding to buy and keep them will go away from the budget. Displaying a need for them in the drug war, etc. is important. Plus I would imagine they have fun hurting 'bad guys' with them.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: nugget1
And the father had this to say:

Bou Sr., a musician, wrote of his grief on his Facebook page Thursday morning. 'My friends my heart my mind my soul is fill with sadness right now my son is not doing too good l will need few days to get myself together l will get back and share music with you when we are all feels better keep rocking friends.'

WTH??? WTF??? What kind of music? Kumbaya???

The parents AND LEO should both be drawn and quartered. Something is seriously wrong with both!

http: //www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2643344/Horror-SWAT-team-throw-stun-grenade-toddlers-CRIB-drugs-raid-leaving-coma-severe-burns.html

Would you please point out something specific that you deemed wrong with what he said. Is there something wrong with being a musician?

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
If the police do not use these grenades often enough then funding to buy and keep them will go away from the budget. Displaying a need for them in the drug war, etc. is important. Plus I would imagine they have fun hurting 'bad guys' with them.

Marvellous and courageous way of showing how the law enforcment community in certain places use public money don't you think?

What is wrong with this world???

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   
They are designed to explode at head level for maximum effect actually. The fuse time is actually shorter then that of frag or incindiary grenades. They are also deployed into a room before an entry team makes entry generally by the number 2 man as he sweeps behind the point in a manner in which not to expose yourself meaning no one really knew what was in the room before the grenade went off.

(post by Expat888 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Those things are supposed to be thrown at floor level kind of like rolling a bowling ball because of the risk of serious injury or death if explodes near the face

They are designed to explode at head level for maximum effect actually.

Any wonder these things happen. People are being treated as enemy combatants in a war.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I'm really surprised the kid survived it at all.

No-Knock Warrants? (get's old country mechanic voice) Thar's yer problem!

I have to admit, at one time, I could see the logic to these. I still do for the most extreme cases where advance notice means an outright firefight and an instant combat zone unfolds right there on the spot. However, what % of dope raids (or ANY raid) are actually (REALLY) hitting people who will take up a firefight with the cops to die in a blaze of glory? it happens..but very rarely as I understand it.

Drop the combat methods and combat casualties will magically drop away with it, I'll just bet. That's an idea?

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

They are designed to explode at head level for maximum effect actually. The fuse time is actually shorter then that of frag or incindiary grenades. They are also deployed into a room before an entry team makes entry generally by the number 2 man as he sweeps behind the point in a manner in which not to expose yourself meaning no one really knew what was in the room before the grenade went off.

That is absolutely incorrect procedure on many levels.

Even more important is the correct use of deployment techniques. Movie portrayals of SWAT operations sometimes depict tactical team members throwing "stun grenades" into rooms without first looking through the door, let alone having a cover officer to protect them. Such cinematic depictions are totally off the mark. One of the fundamental rules for proper use is that you must first look into the target area before deploying a diversionary device. Another is that the officer deploying should have someone there to cover them as they introduce the flashbang into a room. While this may not be always possible, it's a good rule of thumb to follow as much as events will allow.

You may notice that I avoid using the words "tossing" or "throwing" when referring to deployments. I suggest that my fellow instructors do the same. These words convey the wrong message to officers about correct use. Picture this: A SWAT cop is tasked with the flashbang deployment at the start of a search warrant. The phrase "throw the device into the room" is in the back of their mind as they get ready because that's what their instructor taught them. The training phrases in their head and the accelerated tempo of the event may overpower their intent to place the device accurately in through the door. The flashbang is tossed too far into the room, with no caution and lands on flammable material or even a person. That's definitely a bad thing. Again, a controlled, precise delivery is required. Moreover, failing to look into a target environment before deploying a diversionary device creates problems at the operational level and raises potential liability issues.

A diversionary device instructor teaches and preaches the importance of using proper terminology. The term "stun grenade" is an example: The modern diversionary device does not stun people, nor is it a grenade. It may create a psychological and physiological diversion which affects individuals inside a structure and gives operators a brief window of opportunity to exploit for tactical purposes.

And finally

Another of the "what ifs" of using flashbangs is the possibility of children or elderly persons being found in the tactical environment. Depending upon the circumstances, officers should be trained to protect and control these individuals when they're in a target location. Care should be taken to shield them from potential harm until the situation is totally under law enforcement control. In cases where a child is found inside, it may be appropriate for a tactical officer to immediately and safely remove the youngster from the location, effectively treating that child as the most important person inside the tactical environment. Once outside, the child can be turned over to perimeter units or other support personnel, allowing the SWAT cop to return to the operation.

My point: Instructors should emphasize the importance of proper care for those who are most likely innocent and could potentially be injured if proactive steps are not taken to protect them.

Source

edit on 112014111431201420143111 by hogstooth because: added source

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Rodinus

Actually I just read about something like this happening in Denmark the other day. Not exactly this scenario, but breaking into an old man's home after threatening to shoot him and destroying his property. After that the police denied to even be involved.....

Soo yeah...not just an American thing unfortunately. Not sure why you think the US is so bad when the rest of the world is just as bad or worse.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Euphem

Actually I just read about something like this happening in Denmark the other day. Not exactly this scenario, but breaking into an old man's home after threatening to shoot him and destroying his property. After that the police denied to even be involved.....

Soo yeah...not just an American thing unfortunately. Not sure why you think the US is so bad when the rest of the world is just as bad or worse.

You are absolutely right to point this out Euphem... And law enforcment officers do this just as much around the rest of the Western world don't they... thats why we hear about it so much here?

Kindest respects

Rodinus

edit on 30/5/14 by Rodinus because: Phrase taken out

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   

I think a lot of countries are much more censored when it comes to things like this than in the US. Here in the US we are OBSESSED with 24/7 news, and social media, which allows us to hear about everything that is going on anywhere at any time. This just isn't possible in a lot of other countries. While I agree the war we have been waging on drugs is not worth it, and the amount of guns and violence we have in our culture needs to be toned down, the rest of the world is generally more violent overall.

Just look at Mexico right below us. We don't hear about crime too often there, but they have had more than twice as many deaths due to drug war than we have had in the entire war in Afghanistan during that same time. Pretty incredible don't you think? We just don't hear about it or care as much in general due to it being Mexico(no offense to any ATS members in Mexico).

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Cops can throw flash bangs into a toddler's face.

I can't buy M-80's to set off on the 4th of July.

Nice system we have here.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   

That seriously sickens me. I dont ever see when a no knock raid would be justified. If I was defending myself and hurt an innocent I would be charged with a crime. I remember last year I cant remember were but some guy shot an intruder in his house using FMJ's and it went right through the intruder through the window and into the house next door wounding a child and he got charged and convicted of negligence police should be held to a higher standard than everybody else. If no charges are brought up on these officers than street justice needs to be upheld..

edit on 30-5-2014 by PraetorianAZ because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-5-2014 by PraetorianAZ because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a kid was shot to death by sheriffs deputies right down the street from me in Palermo. They told the dispatchers and dispatchers told the deputies that he had a BB gun. He wasn't even pointing it at them when they shot him. He was a friend of a friend on Facebook. crazy world we live in where life is so expendable.

KRCR - Family members speak out...

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Blah and horrible, WTH?!?! I suspect the drugs commented on this may be because someone tried to plant evidence to cover their arse! These incidents have made me start sending emails or calling to express disapproval. It worked for the cop that shot the tied up dog. People called in and he was fired! Did they not know a baby was there? They had to, and then decided to throw grenade? I wonder if their info told them the suspects were armed and dangerous, or had a histriy of violence? That would make some difference, but if not, and even so with a baby, this crap is over the top!
Contact info for these….professionals?!
dps.georgia.gov...
edit on 30-5-2014 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Alien Abduct

I was wondering the same thing. What a rude thing to post.

Sure, his grammar skills aren't the best but dang, he's got a lot on his mind.

Probably someone just trolling or one of our friends in blue...

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Here's a photo of the toddler. What a horrible thing for a baby (or anyone) to go through.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join