It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Happened to the old commitment for high quality, high level posters to not see ads?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 06:45 AM
link   
I don't ever get any ads when I'm here on ATS , thank you ATS For considering me a high quality user.

edit on 30-5-2014 by DonVoigt because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: MessageforAll

Don't have mobile. Have not set mobile up. Went to my profile page and can't find any settings button. Doodness. I used to know my way around here better.

Would check to see that mobile was OFF, if I could find it.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Korg Trinity

imho, you come across as quite insightful.

I think humility . . . particularly in business and in RELATIONSHIPS . . . is a huge priority . . . a screamingly crucial priority.

I certainly don't begrudge ATS or anyone making money in honorable, legal ways. More power to them.

However, I expect people to keep their word--particularly in business.

I expect people to respect me with the sort of respect that they want from me.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

I have a lot of programs on my computer but I don't enjoy lots of addons to browsers.

I tolerate youtube ads as that seems somewhat reasonable. But if a site is a chronically obnoxious ad site, I just try and avoid it. They can go suck rocks elsewhere, imho.

And if an ad is particularly obnoxious, I may write the President of the corporation the ad is for.

I do have my anti-virus software stopping all kinds of queries to my computer. I can't tell which are fitting and which are not so I just took to blocking them all.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   
There should be a box at the way bottom of the settings page to turn on or off mobile FYI.

On a side note, I am on PC, and the only way avatars will show for me is the setting shown. If I click to show PC avatars, or hide mobile avatars, all avatars disappear altogether.
edit on Fri, 30 May 2014 11:27:30 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Boxian,

You are exhibiting quite a bit of anger over this. And you're jumping to conclusions. Other people who have approximately the same ratios in terms of points, longevity, etc. are seeing no ads. I don't see any and my points and stuff are within range of yours. YOU are seeing ads, but I (and a lot of other people) are not. What can we learn about these two data points?

1.) ATS has reneged on its commitment and is foul and nefarious and all those things you've accused them of, or...

2.) There's some sort of difference between YOU and the rest of us that is causing this, perhaps an anomaly with your account, a programming glitch, maybe even something YOU are doing differently, or something else.

Rather than go on an emotional and immature harangue about this, perhaps you need to treat this in a straightforward, rational, and mature manner to discover what the issue really is. My guess is that yelling and screaming at ATS will do nothing but add to your reputation around here. The easiest way to deal with your kind of approach to solving problems is simply to delete your account, but I'm sure ATS is more mature than that and won't do it out of a sense of fairness. Maybe you should look inward. What would Jesus do?

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Fair enough.

I have been assuming that the software was changed somehow or some such.

Thanks for your thoughtful response.

Though, I think, that if I were feeling that much anger, I'd be writing differently. Am not aware of any INTENSE emotions about it . . . anger or otherwise . . . annoyance . . . puzzlement . . . incredulity at some level . . .

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: TKDRL

Thanks. The Desktop options is the one clicked and operative.

I don't have an avatar.

Puzzling.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

What ads? Not all of us get them, and you can choose to have them cut down. It used to be AD CHOICES at the bottom of ATS....but Ive not gone back to see because I hardly have any ads at all.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 11:00 PM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN
Possibly your browser has been infected with adware which is showing you adverts ? , ( however that would not be site-specific though : the adverts would pop-up at random whatever website you were viewing ).

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 11:01 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

I can't find any buttons to click to remove them . . . not on my settings page nor anywhere else I've looked.

Didn't have to for years. They weren't there. The last few weeks they are. I don't know what changed.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 11:02 PM
link   
a reply to: engvbany

No. I have very good anti-virus software . . . VIPRE . . .

And, it is specific to ATS type ads. Don't see them from other sites--not those sorts.

Mystifying.

INTERESTING . . . . after posting the code from the ad above on this page, it went away.

Now it's back as I edit this post . . . curious.

edit on 30/5/2014 by BO XIAN because: added

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 11:07 PM
link   
i used to spend much more time here, at some point the site began to load too slowly for me to deal with.
weak wifi connection and to much flashy stuff and images/video is the culprit i blamed.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 11:10 PM
link   
a reply to: engvbany

This is the code stuff from the ad at the top of this page:

if(typeof(gnm_ord)=='undefined') gnm_ord=Math.random()*10000000000000000; if(typeof(gnm_tile) == 'undefined') gnm_tile=1;
document.write('');
()[var k=this,m=a,c)[var b=a.split("."),d=k;b[0]in d||!d.execScript||d.execScript("var "+b[0]);for(var e;b.length&&(e=b.shift())
b.length||void 0===c?d=d[e]?d[e]:d[e]=[]:d[e]=c],n=a,c,b)[return a.call.apply(a.bind,arguments)],p=a,c,b)[if(!a)throw Error();if(2

(post by engvbany removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 01:21 AM
link   
I don't care about ads one way or another. I actually don't know how many ads I get or where they are located. I'm not angry.

I am, however, very curious. If I'm reading the time stamps correctly, BO XIAN's comment has been up for over two full days. Bo Xian is not a trouble maker but a fairly reasonable and prolific poster.

What I'm curious about is why, in all this time, has there been absolutely no reaction or comment from even a Mod, let alone someone higher, except to remove a post for a T&C violation?

With my limited knowledge, I wouldn't have thought that this would have been a question requiring lengthy discussion at Headquarters.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 03:57 AM
link   
i do get an ad at the top, so I just wonder if we are so used to seeing them that we do not notice them any longer?

I agree that members are two-a-penny and any good site will attract visitors, so it is in the interest of the website to make their offering worth our while to visit. Forums are two-a-penny too, but good ones with clear easy to use software is not common. For example, Google Groups I think is absolutely terrible, and Yahoo Groups is not much better.

Monetising a site is a tricky business but there are many ways once you have the visitors, but the main issue here seems to be have ATS grown and diversified so much that they have lost sight of the core reason for being. What often happens with companies is that they get a financial director who has money as the main motivator and everything else goes by the wayside. I have seen it many times where the finance department gets above its station and starts to think it runs the company.

The basis of this is really - do you buy cheaply from a supermarket or with service from a corner shop. Each have advantages but we all vote with our money or in this case since there is no money changing hands, with our virtual feet. Is the pain of ATS worth the gain? Can we find another similar site which still retains the core characteristics we are searching for? I dont know.

Also, I believe ads can be area or region specific depending on the advertiser. It would be pointless paying for an advert in the USA if your shop was in the UK or you did not ship abroad.

There are still a few issues in the new layout of the ATS site and I too have "complained" more than once but no resolution seems to be forthcoming. However, in their defence, this is a very large site with many different features but I wonder sometimes about how well the organisation is managed. Nothing to do with me though how they run their business.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 05:39 AM
link   
a reply to: qmantoo

Probably 50-75% of the time, the ad is

"SASQUATCH FESTIVAL COVERAGE CHECK IT OUT brought to you by BEST BUY"

Curious.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 07:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: charles1952
What I'm curious about is why, in all this time, has there been absolutely no reaction or comment from even a Mod, let alone someone higher, except to remove a post for a T&C violation?

I'm wondering the same thing.

I, also, used to not see ads but now I am.

Has the requirement for not seeing ads been changed?

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mary Rose

originally posted by: charles1952

I'm wondering the same thing.

I, also, used to not see ads but now I am.

Has the requirement for not seeing ads been changed?

That was a main curiosity I had when I started this thread.

I couldn't believe that it had . . . at least not without notifying us . . . one would think.

I assume it must be something else. But I don't really have a clue.

The SASQAUCH . . . BEST BUY ad is incredibly persistent. What's WITH THAT?

Thanks for your post, Mary. You have more than a thousand flags while I only have 900.

Somewhere along the way, IIRC . . . there was something about those of us who had a lot of affirmed posts past a certain level would not see ads in our thread reading and postings. And those who had applause's beyond 20 and flags above ???? would not see ads anywhere. I've tried to find that blurb or post and failed.

Anyone remember anything like that?

edit on 31/5/2014 by BO XIAN because: added

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join