It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suspected I-81 trooper killer blames 'time warp'

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 05:13 AM
link   
A cop shoots somebody for no justifiable reason is a horrendous act, Agreed. But, has nothing to do with THIS story.

This guy ran down a cop who was simply doing his job, it could just have easily been some guy/gal on the side of the road trying to fix a flat tire.

Personally, I'm glad he's off the streets.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 05:27 AM
link   
This occurred right about where I live. Local news adds a little bit to what's already posted. If I hear any scuttlebutt I'll post again.

New York State Police said the man who hit and killed a trooper Thursday afternoon did so intentionally.
Upton continued a short distance before stopping and running into the woods nearby. He thentook off his clothes, for reasons unknown, according to state police.
Two helicopters and dogs were deployed in the search. Upton was found and taken into custody at shortly after 1 p.m.State police also said he side-swiped two vehicles just before hitting the trooper.
A gray Nissan Altima and an orange Pontiac Aztec were hit by Upton’s white truck. Upton fled the scene. The Nissan was a rental car. One person in one of those vehicles sustained minor injuries and was taken to Wilson Hospital. The condition wasn't available late Thursday.

Skinner is survived by his mother, his fiance Surrena, and his two children, 15-year-old Kyle and 12-year-old Erin.
State police called this "a tragic day for the law enforcement community."

Our troopers around here are good guys. They work hard, raise their families, and contribute to the communities. Very sad.

Skinner is the 15th member of the New York State Police Department to die in the line of duty since 2006. He is the fifth trooper to die in the line of duty within the last 10 months.

local news site with several articles

Commenters are suggesting he was 'hunting' people with his truck.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 06:11 AM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

A cop shoots somebody for no justifiable reason is a horrendous act, Agreed. But, has nothing to do with THIS story.

But...of COURSE it does!

If the guy ran down a cop by accident, the recent record of police actions, including multiple unjustified homicides perpetrated on innocent civilians..you don't think that absurd and frightening police record would have ANY bearing on the state of mind of the driver?

That's absurd, of course it absolutely would have a direct and profound affect on what a driver would do and the actions that they would take in such a situation...panic would be a BIG part of the initial reaction closely followed by blind panic and running for ones life.

IF the driver ran down the cop deliberately, he deserves to be punished under prescribed law for what he did, likewise, if it was an accident he ought to be treated accordingly and only face punishment appropriate for driving without due care and attention (if applicable..may have been a vehicle defect, fault, puncture etc) and leaving the scene of a RTA.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 06:16 AM
link   
I'm confused.

Police say he was driving from Florida to New York. From what the driver is saying, he was already in Connecticut, but suddenly found himself in New York?

Hopefully, the driver had a cell phone that they can track and figure out where he had been and where he was going for certain... Or maybe I just misread...

Either way, if he was driving those kinds of miles, it could be a case of road hypnosis. Perhaps even more so if this was a drive he made often and knew the route well enough that he could make the trip on what I call "autopilot."

It's not just ambien that can do strange stuff to the brain. I took Wellbutrin in my early twenties to stop smoking, but had to quit taking it after a month or so.
I was waking up in the mornings to my friends and family telling me about all the insane things I had done the night before. I didn't remember any of it! I also devoloped a stutter that can still rear it's ugly head fifteen years later if I'm under a great deal of stress.

I'm not making excuses for the guy, for sure. However, until they can prove that he was purposefully hitting other vehicles and people, he should be charged with manslaughter. If they come up with proof that he did this on purpose, can't they go back and increase the charge to premeditated murder?

I feel for the family of the trooper. No one should have to lose a loved one in this manner. And if the driver is just making all of this nonsense up for kicks or poops and giggles, he should be horse whipped for doing this to this trooper's family.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: LightningStrikesHere

....but running makes you look guilty...

Totally agree with you on this one

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Sandymuffins

At approximately noon Thursday on Interstate 81 north near exit 6, Trooper Christopher Skinner, 42, had a BMW pulled over for a speed violation, according to state police. That's when state police say Upton intentionally swerved from the left lane to hit Skinner as he was standing outside his cruiser.

State police also said he side-swiped two vehicles just before hitting the trooper. A gray Nissan Altima and an orange Pontiac Aztec were hit by Upton’s white truck. Upton fled the scene. The Nissan was a rental car. One person in one of those vehicles sustained minor injuries and was taken to Wilson Hospital. The condition wasn't available late Thursday.

story

60 years old; the booking video and blood work needed.
If it was time warp why take your clothes off and hide in the woods?

Time warps would suck!

edit on 30-5-2014 by donlashway because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 02:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: mindseye1609
anyone know what time it happened at?

No and neither does he.
edit on 31/5/2014 by comfortablynumb because: Removed all the quote tags

edit on 31/5/2014 by comfortablynumb because: Then corrected the person it was in response to...*sigh*

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 04:31 AM
link   
a reply to: minettejo

Well, no drugs and alcohol involved, but he was found naked? Seems likely he wasn't thinking clearly. Still, I am a little curious about the "proof" he claims to have. Why he was found naked, with no drugs or drinking, should make for an interesting story!
edit on 31-5-2014 by LadyGreenEyes because: oops

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Do they say WHY they think it was deliberate? As in, was he seen aiming, perhaps, looking at those he hit? Very weird, as is the undressing after the fact. Bizarre case, no matter what, it seems!

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: mindseye1609

While it was most likely drugs, there have been cases where a person was injected with scopolamine, and told to do something, and had no awareness or memory of doing so.

Most likely, it was drugs, and he is trying to cover his ass by causing some sort of doubt on his case by using distracting language. People will say anything to get out of #.

P.S.-Time slips don't exist unless you are by a wormhole, or blackhole. Don't see any of those around, do you?

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

Because Upton swerved from the left lane into the right lane deliberately to hit Skinner. Further, his sideswiping two cars a mile before, then continuing.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   
USA Today has an article that might shed some light on this. It may add to the confusion too..but more is always better with information, right?

This guy's goose is cooked by the sound of it. He was rampaging and murdered a cop.

"I'm not sure what his mental state was at the time of the accident," State Police Superintendent Joseph D'Amico said of Upton. "He did make admissions that he saw the trooper and intentionally struck him."

What admissions? Those I'd like to see..and I imagine we will. Unless they accept a plea, and this sounds nasty enough to say no unless he basically just accepts life in prison on the spot.

Upton traveled from the passing to the driving lane to hit Skinner and the car he had stopped, police said. The driver of the BMW was uninjured.

Before he came upon the traffic stop, police said, Upton sideswiped two other vehicles while speeding, causing minor injuries. Police did not say how fast he was going.
Source

If USA Today has decent sourcing then I'd say he was making a day of it with hitting other people, before he crossed lanes of traffic to all but aim for the trooper. At least, at this point? That's how it's sounding. I wonder if the crazy routine is an act or just realizing his stunt made being captured alive a 50/50 proposition?
edit on 5/31/2014 by Wrabbit2000 because: minor edit

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Time warp? So what kind of drugs or psychotic problems does this guy have? He was on something if he isn't insane. I can't believe that is the story he went with, which makes me think he must be on something mind altering.... or a schizophrenic.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes

Well, no drugs and alcohol involved, but he was found naked?

Bath Salts. Every youtube vid of some idiot taking bath salts gets naked. Their body feels like it is over heating they say. As for the behavior, no one knows why. I bet this dude was on them, and idk if they can be detected. Some cases they never know, but behavior suggests it.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   
You guys read that thread a few days ago about our brains responding to stimuli before the actual stimuli presents itself?
So, he basically went into shock BEFORE he hit the police officer and he didn't "come to" until they'd gotten him to New York.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   
From Another Article

"The incident left Broome County reeling following the second line-of-duty death of a law enforcement officer in two months. But it also raised unsettling questions about the man accused of such a heinous act. Although the picture is far from complete, public records provide a glimpse into Upton’s life.

Upton and his wife, Judy, were residents of Upton Road in Ashford, Conn., before they purchased a 10-year-old, single-wide mobile home in Melrose, Fla., in October 2007, according to Putnam County, Florida records.

They took out an $80,000 mortgage for the 4.78-acre parcel at 161 Hall Road, located near the shores of a small lake about an hour’s drive from Jacksonville, records show."

Who lives on the same street as their name? Just an oddity. Also, he seems like a normal 60-something, one DUI, but no other criminal record. I mean who goes 60 years and then knocks off a police officer?

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 12:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sandymuffins
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

Because Upton swerved from the left lane into the right lane deliberately to hit Skinner. Further, his sideswiping two cars a mile before, then continuing.

Ah, that makes sense. I thought that's how it read, but was a bit tired, so wasn't certain. Sounds deliberate. No drugs or alcohol means he should have been aware of his actions. Unless, of course, they find some weird medical issue with his brain or something.

Maybe he took off his clothes so he could pretend he'd been abducted later, and didn't think anyone would see him do it, or maybe see him dressed when he fled. That would fit in with his "time warp" claim!

I really feel for the family of that trooper. Senseless thing to happen. Bad enough had his car malfunctioned or something, but this?

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 12:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: SixX18

Well, no drugs and alcohol involved, but he was found naked?

Bath Salts. Every youtube vid of some idiot taking bath salts gets naked. Their body feels like it is over heating they say. As for the behavior, no one knows why. I bet this dude was on them, and idk if they can be detected. Some cases they never know, but behavior suggests it.

I thought of that, but they said there was no indication of drugs in his system. Then again, we don't know what all they did to test, either. I don't know how well those show up. I do know they cause some seriously bizarre behavior! The first cases I remember all involved someone biting other people. Zombie stuff!

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Do they say WHY they think it was deliberate? As in, was he seen aiming, perhaps, looking at those he hit? Very weird, as is the undressing after the fact. Bizarre case, no matter what, it seems!

he sideswiped 2 cars before he hit the officer, I think thats why....wonder what the distance was from the first sideswipe until he hit the officer

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   

It is a strange one, and for that alone a good reason for people to put down the pitchforks for a while until guilt or innocence is proven.

Reminds me of the equally strange case in the UK some years back, two Women - Sisters if i remember, were observed by Police walking down the central reservation on a busy motorway here, aparently oblivious to the real danger they were in and were putting drivers in both fast lanes in.

Police pulled them over, tried to talk to them and they both very calmly, almost hypnotically raced towards traffic moving at up to 90 mph (70 limit, but this is the real world)..they were both hit, one of the Women was hit a glancing blow by a car, the other went under the wheels of a truck and was thrown out, by a miracle still alive.

Ambulance staff and more Police arrived and were treating the Women by the side of the motor way, where they both beat off the police and ambulance staff and tried to run into the flow of traffic again...they were arrested and taken to a Police station, sent to Hospital and treated...no drugs were found in their systems, nor alcohol and were deemed mentally competent (!) they were released without charge (!)...i think they were from Finland or somewhere nearby, but whatever, the point is sometimes strange, very strange crap happens..who's to say something equally bizzare wasn't going on here.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join