It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI: More People Killed with Fists & Hammers than Rifles & Shotguns

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on May, 29 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   
With several states enacting sweeping gun bans targeted at so called "assault weapons" such as New York's "SAFE" act, Connecticut's post Sandy Hook legislation and Colorado's new gun laws all targeting semi-auto rifles and magazines in their language.

It would seem that the FBI statistics point to the unwarranted hysteria surrounding the subject of high capacity magazines and so-called assault rifles in general.

As it turns out the human fist is culpably more dangerous along with hammers and blunt objects than Rifles or Shotguns according to FBI data.

Source

According to the FBI, there were a total of 625 murders committed with rifles and shotguns in 2012. That breaks down to 322 murders that were rifle related and 303 that were shotgun related. The total number of deaths committed with fists, hammers, and other blunt objects was 1,196. That breaks down to 518 murders related to hammers and blunt objects and 678 related to fists.
Taken together, the rate of murder by fists and hammers was nearly 100 percent higher than the rate of murder by rifles or shotguns.

Read more: www.ammoland.com...
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
Follow us: @Ammoland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook

I certainly don't have a solution for the fist or hammer and blunt object issue nor do I support any attempts at laws or legislation specifically targeting them as laws already exist on the books to deal with the problem caused by the criminal.

Going after lawful weapons owners plays to a political agenda while serving little or none of the actual problems existing in society.

+2 more 
posted on May, 29 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   
This is amazing.

Now I am 100% convinced that all the gun control malarkey is 100% ultra-Left Wing, ultra-Pro(re)gressive.

They want full control of the population.

And clearly, Fascism is ultra-Left Wing.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Phoenix

SO, it IS the person, and not the object used to hurt someone that is the issue. Ya don't say.

Yeah, gotta ban all of those assault weapons because they are scary and mean.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phoenix
I certainly don't have a solution for the fist or hammer and blunt object issue nor do I support any attempts at laws or legislation specifically targeting them as laws already exist on the books to deal with the problem caused by the criminal.

We clearly have to ban fists and hammers. Everyone report to the government for your mandatory hand amputations.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

We clearly have to ban fists and hammers. Everyone report to the government for your mandatory hand amputations.

Well, they obviously need to cut the hands off of all citizens. I suggest that the gungrabbers get in line first.

Hey, once it is done, no need to ban hammers, eh?

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Very misleading when you leave out handguns and other guns. Here is a link to the FBI statistic that shows 6,220 murders done by handguns in 2011.

FBI Murder Stats by Weapon

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: macman

SO, it IS the person, and not the object used to hurt someone that is the issue. Ya don't say.

Yeah, gotta ban all of those assault weapons because they are scary and mean.

I personally agree 100% with the PERSON being the problem.

Thousands of laws already exist on the books to deal with criminals and murderers already the addition of laws dealing with banning lawful possession of rifles or shotguns made in a certain pattern will make no difference other than to fool the populace into thinking their law makers did something.

I still have great problems for instance with prosecutors who plea bargain away federal weapons charges that carry mandatory sentences of up to 10 years for guilty pleas on lessor crimes - this is a people problem as it puts violent criminals right back out amongst us time after time and make the prosecutors conviction record look good at the cost of more lives.

link   
It's very simple. People with fists and hammers do not pose a threat to the government. Only those instruments which when placed in the hands of a dissenting populace are a threat to the power structure, then do they become a target of progressively oppressive regulation and restriction. It has nothing to do with how many children are killed or what have you.

That's not to say that they have been successful, but they have been trying and will continue to try taking guns from citizens so that they can mitigate a potential revolution. Because what are they doing that the people would even think of revolting?

link   
Don't spread these statistics too far or too loud, they may start requiring me to purchase a CCHP, (concealed carry hammer permit). Available at your local Home depot!

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: blargo

Very misleading when you leave out handguns and other guns. Here is a link to the FBI statistic that shows 6,220 murders done by handguns in 2011.

The thread title specifically deals with RIFLES & SHOTGUNS or did you miss that! in the OP you will also note I kept it specifically to "so-called assault rifles and their magazines"

Please keep it on topic as best we can - thanks

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Misleading in what way?
It is plainly stated that only shotguns and rifles are used in the data put forth. If anything is misleading, it is the fact that shotguns are included, because the point the OP is making is that the gungrabbers think that semiautomatic rifles are SO DANGEROUS. Hell, it should only be semiauto rifles in the data, because they are the point of the argument... the data includes manually operated rifles too. Think how lopsided it would look if shotguns and manually operated rifles were excluded.
edit on bu312014-05-29T15:10:41-05:0003America/ChicagoThu, 29 May 2014 15:10:41 -05003u14 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Looking at those stats., I'm curious to know how many of the rifle stats were semi autos?

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: twohawks
Don't spread these statistics too far or too loud, they may start requiring me to purchase a CCHP, (concealed carry hammer permit). Available at your local Home depot!

Lol! it was pointed out above that dealing with the hands would automatically take care or the hammer issue.

All the ban happy folks forget that there are hundreds if not thousands of applicable laws to deal with criminals and murderers - making more law is not needed - upholding what's there already is not sexy nor does it garner the craved media attention for politicians but it sure would be more effective.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I still think that Pharmaceutical side effects kill way more than any guns do. Doctors often ignore the symptoms of the side effects or prescribe companion drugs to try to cover up the side effects.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   
According to the FBI stats, between 8550 and 9528 murders were attributed to firearms in the years 2008-2012.

678-875 were attributed to 'Personal weapons (hands, fists, feet, etc.)'

FBI source

Spreadsheet link

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky
OP was pretty specific about this relating to assault weapons bills wanting to outlaw semiautomatic rifles.

To include all firearms is counting apples and oranges together.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   
AHHH! Don't forget we have to outlaw Gravity ...36,000 people a year die from falls!

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: twohawks

Lol! it was pointed out above that dealing with the hands would automatically take care or the hammer issue.

All the ban happy folks forget that there are hundreds if not thousands of applicable laws to deal with criminals and murderers - making more law is not needed - upholding what's there already is not sexy nor does it garner the craved media attention for politicians but it sure would be more effective.

I take issue with the amputation idea, being as I'm a carpenter and love to fish. No I'm not Jesus. Although I've been accused of looking like him when I had long hair.

But I digress, I live in knee jerk New York and watched as my state reps back doored the safe act with little to no opposition given it was done under the cover of darkness. Now that it is done people are still scrambling to undo this ridiculous law. Here in NY, laws are passed benefiting those that ride high on the hog in NY city, while the rest of the state eats there s@$t. I'd like to see the five borrows become there own state and leave the rest of us country folk the he'll alone

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Great point.

If we leave out the other firearms and 'type not stated,' it's clear that 'fists & hammers' are slightly more dangerous than 'rifles & shotguns.'

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky
According to the FBI stats, between 8550 and 9528 murders were attributed to firearms in the years 2008-2012.

678-875 were attributed to 'Personal weapons (hands, fists, feet, etc.)'

FBI source

Spreadsheet link

Ok now, of the feet deaths, how many of those were by smell, and how many by blunt force whoopass?
edit on 29-5-2014 by twohawks because: stupid spell correct

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join