It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Korea: Alzheimer's Patient Arrested As Arsonist as 21 people die of Hospice Fire

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 04:55 AM
link   
news.sky.com... 21-die-in-fire

A police official said an 81-year-old man had been taken into custody after CCTV footage appeared to show him setting the fire in a storage room on the upper floor of the two-storey building. Although the blaze was brought under control within 30 minutes, many on the upper floor were unable to escape. One nurse was on duty at the time and was among the dead.

The idiocracy I guess has spread globally. I mean, if the person was of their right mind, I could see the arrest. But a patient that is 81 YEARS OLD that is in who knows what stage of Alzheimer's is arrested and mostly likely going to stand trial for this BLOWS MY FRIGGIN MIND!!!!

I know its South Korea, but when as a people all over the world going to respect our elderly a bit better than this. Peoples all over the world use to. What the hell has happened. If this "suspect" can be old, feebly, and Alzheimer's affected enough to be in a HOSPICE be held accountable for an event we don't really know for sure they even know they committed with memory. I have so many questions....

The hospice, in my logical mindset, must have been overworked, like layoffs and a handful of nurses working doubles and triples. Or maybe understaffed, like one nurse on duty, no orderly type situation. Did the building have fire alarms; were there ever practice drills to ensure the patients wouldn't freak out enough not to be able to be handled in a crisis like this.

A police official said an 81-year-old man had been taken into custody after CCTV footage appeared to show him setting the fire in a storage room on the upper floor of the two-story building.

How the hell did the old cat get down there to the storage room then allowed to be unattended that long to be able to get enough materials to start a fire???

South Korea got some splainin' to do.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 05:17 AM
link   
a reply to: ArchPlayer

That is just so wrong on so many levels!!

Like you, who was watching the 81 yo man since it states it happened at the hospice

And second, that many people were killed even tho it was contained in 30 minutes?
Something seems off here to me
True, smoke inhalation probably got most of the seniors but still....

How can he be mentally competent when he can't remember yesterday from 30 years ago??
Sad...

edit on 29-5-2014 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 05:32 AM
link   

I know its South Korea, but when as a people all over the world going to respect our elderly a bit better than this.
What does South Korea have to do with anything? Respect the elderly? WTF?! This man is being charged with arson that killed 21 people! What, do you think that because he is old they should just let him go? Talk about something that “BLOWS MY FRIGGIN MIND!!!!

It doesn’t matter how capable or old he is, if he committed such a terrible crime he should be arrested and charged. I would expect a trial would reveal whether he is competent or not and if he is found to be mentally incompetent then he should still be dealt with in a manner so that he is unable to do something like this again. Don’t you think?

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 05:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Devino

I know its South Korea, but when as a people all over the world going to respect our elderly a bit better than this.
Respect the elderly? WTF?! This man is being charged with arson that killed 21 people! What, do you think that because he is old they should just let him go? Talk about something that “BLOWS MY FRIGGIN MIND!!!!

It doesn’t matter how capable or old he is, if he committed such a terrible crime he should be arrested and charged. I would expect a trial would reveal whether he is competent or not and if he is found to be mentally incompetent then he should still be dealt with in a manner so that he is unable to do something like this again. Don’t you think?

You obviously don't know much about Alzheimer's, otherwise you would realize how silly your comments are

edit on 29-5-2014 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 05:51 AM
link   
a reply to: snarky412

that many people were killed even tho it was contained in 30 minutes?
Something seems off here to me
True, smoke inhalation probably got most of the seniors but still.

Seems you’re correct.

A fire believed set by an 81-year-old dementia patient blazed through a hospital ward for the elderly Wednesday and killed 21 people in southern South Korea, mostly from smoke inhalation, police and fire officials said.

Media reports noted that hospitals for the elderly such as Hyosarang, which specializes in dementia and palsy patients, are not required to have sprinklers in South Korea despite a rapidly aging population.
Source
It appears that South Korea has a lot to learn about safety regulations. It was similar tragedies in America that gave way to stricter building codes and safety regulations.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 05:56 AM
link   

You obviously don't know much about Alzheimer's, otherwise you would realize how silly your comments are
I know enough about Alzheimer’s. It doesn’t matter if this guy remembers what he did or is mentally competent or not. People died because of his actions and something needs to be done to assure he does not do this again. Do you think they should just let this guy go free?

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 06:03 AM
link   
I always though that country had a somewhat grip on safety. But then I think back to when StarCraft was their official sport (well it might still be) and energy drinks were consumed on mass levels.
With their population becoming more and more careless due to technology and such I am not surprised something like the ferry incident and this happened, and the workers almost never seem to be the blame right away!

This is nothing but a witch hunt, just looking for an easy way out so they don't need to blame several workers, and delusional safety regulations. Like not having sprinklers... seriously, I thought that has been around, and a given, since the 1800's.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 06:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Devino

I know enough about Alzheimer’s. It doesn’t matter if this guy remembers what he did or is mentally competent or not. People died because of his actions and something needs to be done to assure he does not do this again. Do you think they should just let this guy go free?

Seriously?????

Have you ever been around one who suffers from it?
It's something you will never forget nor will want to see again....especially when it's a loved one

HOW can he be found competent when he CAN'T remember?????
His brain [memory] is gone due to the disease
That's why I'm surprised no one was watching him

The hospital should be found negligent all the way around, including the care for the man--or rather lack of care where he is concerned

Sad situation for all

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 06:29 AM
link   
The concern shouldn’t be the arrest but how he is treated when he is in custody and how any trial or judgment takes place. Regardless of one’s competence there are consequences for actions taken. This guy needs to be in custody to help protect him, and those around him, and there needs to be a trial in the hopes of determining what happened. Maybe something good can come out of this like new building codes that require sprinkler systems that would save lives in the future. Besides, didn’t he just burn down his home, so where would he go?

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Okay, let me get this straight. The man is 81 years old, has Alzheimer's, and is in a hospital because of it. Could someone please explain to me how this person, who probably doesn't even understand what he's doing, and in a controlled hospital environment, has access to the means to start such a fire?

Barring more information, my first inclination is to blame the hospital itself.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Devino

What about the relevant questions:
1. How was he left unattended FOR THAT LONG to get down to the basement, and have time to get enough chemicals to start said fire?
2. Where were the fire safety regulations to get people out in a quick and efficient manner?

This is a hospice; his actions are NOT accountable when other people are being paid to tend to him and SEE ABOUT HIS WHEREABOUTS.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArchPlayer

What about the relevant questions:
1. How was he left unattended FOR THAT LONG to get down to the basement, and have time to get enough chemicals to start said fire?
2. Where were the fire safety regulations to get people out in a quick and efficient manner?
These are the types of questions a trial and investigation should uncover. Was the staff over worked, not enough nurses to attend to a possible too large amount of patients? Did they have any security in place like tagged bracelets with alarms on the doors? What are South Korea’s laws and regulations regarding nursing homes? An investigation starts with the original crime and the one who supposedly committed it.

If you have ever spent any time in nursing homes or have talked with nurses that work in one you would learn that patients are always trying to get out, the ambulatory ones anyway. And if you know anyone that has Alzheimer’s you would know that there are times in which they are very cognizant and alert, their dementia comes and goes. I’m not saying that this patient should be sent to prison, beaten and raped. However he should not be left alone nor should they let him go.

This is a hospice; his actions are NOT accountable when other people are being paid to tend to him and SEE ABOUT HIS WHEREABOUTS.
Perhaps you feel that this man should simply be placed in another nursing home, since he burnt his old one down, and they should apologize for any inconvenience. Maybe they could buy him a new lighter since he left his old one in his old home.

I just don't see how arresting this man is so offensive. Maybe more people will be arrested, i.e. works or owners of the home. Maybe this old man will be sent to a more secure home so they can care for him properly. Perhaps new regulations will be put in place that will avoid potential future tragedies. At any rate something needs to be done and arresting this man is a logical first step in my opinion following an investigation.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 09:27 PM
link   

He can be reprimanded into custody WITHOUT ARREST.

top topics

join