It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama gets icy reception at West Point

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Funny, when I do multiple Google searches for "Obama West Point Speech Reaction", I don't seem to get the news stories you're getting.

*shrug* I guess it depends on how one searches Google news.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 12:47 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

You might very well be right, I haven't dug into it myself. I am struck, however, by the number of posters who indicated they watched it, or at least clips of it. That would seem to make their reaction entirely independent of the news sources. That's also why I'm accepting their verdict on the speech. No one seems to be saying it was inspiring, breathtaking, or anything other than below his average effort.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 12:59 AM
link   
The West Point graduation is a though crowd.
Most of the cadets still have to go on to Ranger school, Airborne school etc.
Years ago I was standing on the field at the West Point graduation when Vice president Dan Quayle was giving the graduation speech. The Commanding general was introducing Dan Quayle and talking of Dan Quayles past accomplishments.
Blah, blah blah "An Vice president Quayle served as a Sergeant in the Indiana National Guard during the Viet nam War"
The were a few cadets trying to stifle a giggle at that.
Problem is when 1,000 cadets snicker all at once it's pretty loud.
The Commanding General just glared at all of them and kept going.
The next day I read two wildly different accounts of what happened depending on the political leaning of the news paper.

Lesson learned: If your giving a speech to tigers don't send a poodle.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 01:12 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I have a ton of respect for the office this man holds.......BUT. To bad mouth Washington in front of the troops is way over the line. This man is not a leader. This man is a fraud.

The progressive mindset that lets leaders like this gain and keep office needs to end. It is all a lie. Are people really this stupid and apathetic of mind and soul to actually believe this crap. Look at the world today young people in mass are failing on all levels. Many refuse to leave the nest and start a life of their own.

If you are reading this and raise your children with the progressive mindset be prepared to raise them the rest of your life. They will never grow up.
edit on 29-5-2014 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-5-2014 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 01:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
Funny, when I do multiple Google searches for "Obama West Point Speech Reaction", I don't seem to get the news stories you're getting.

*shrug* I guess it depends on how one searches Google news.

Google is an arm of the progressive PTB. All of the mainstream media is controlled.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Based on the way he treats the military, I am shocked that 25% bothered to stand. Slashed benefits for troops and family members, rules of engagement that place our people in danger, and so forth; the military is losing good people in droves these days. The military has changed a lot in the last several years, and not for the better.

This isn't his first poor reception, either. No surprise!

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 04:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: snarky412
a reply to: beezzer

Obama is touting how strong America and it's military are as a global leader--- at the same time he's pushing for more UN involvement --- while in the background, more General's are being retired and the gov. cutting back on the military as a whole

Also, due to Pres. Obama’s foreign policy--or lack of--, he has weakened U.S. influence around the globe
Not to mention the countless scandals going on in his administration, so how can any one listen to him talking about 'rules of law' ?

So it's kinda hard, one would think, for the cadets at West Point to respect him or his speech

This is totally it!

All those high up officers with impeccable years of dedicated service to America, many with amazing very hard to get medals and awards for distinguished service, FIRED by Obama already, and many say that is because they would not fire upon Americans if called upon to do so. Many in attendance at this speech were probably good pals with many of those fired officers.
And Obama has the Gall to go in their and speak from his usual "High Horse of Grand Hypocrisy" (The) Would be a good book title for a book about him.. lol..

I wonder if those in attendance were searched and disarmed before being allowed to sit in the audience.

And I also wonder how many that were there in the audience were "Ordered" to be there, because they may have tried getting out of having to even be near him, and might have been strictly ordered to show up so Obama wouldn't be the only person in the room when speech time arrived..

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 04:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: alienreality

originally posted by: snarky412
a reply to: beezzer

Obama is touting how strong America and it's military are as a global leader--- at the same time he's pushing for more UN involvement --- while in the background, more General's are being retired and the gov. cutting back on the military as a whole

Also, due to Pres. Obama’s foreign policy--or lack of--, he has weakened U.S. influence around the globe
Not to mention the countless scandals going on in his administration, so how can any one listen to him talking about 'rules of law' ?

So it's kinda hard, one would think, for the cadets at West Point to respect him or his speech

This is totally it!

All those high up officers with impeccable years of dedicated service to America, many with amazing very hard to get medals and awards for distinguished service, FIRED by Obama already, and many say that is because they would not fire upon Americans if called upon to do so. Many in attendance at this speech were probably good pals with many of those fired officers.
And Obama has the Gall to go in their and speak from his usual "High Horse of Grand Hypocrisy" (The) Would be a good book title for a book about him.. lol..

I wonder if those in attendance were searched and disarmed before being allowed to sit in the audience.

And I also wonder how many that were there in the audience were "Ordered" to be there, because they may have tried getting out of having to even be near him, and might have been strictly ordered to show up so Obama wouldn't be the only person in the room when speech time arrived..

Even Montel Williams, a Veteran, is upset by his speech...or rather what it lacks

Veteran Montel Williams blast Obama over West Point speech

“The president just promised $5 billion for terrorists around the world?! At West Point?!” Williams said angrily. “Where he could have used the day to say, ‘I’m sorry for the pain that I’ve caused you, the families, and I’m gonna fix it today!’” - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 06:50 AM
link   
LMFAO.......................

Well, so far the Good ol' USA war machine has sure made the world a far safer and happy place to be....ain't it?

So......a far as i am concerned, the sooner he gets these mad dog generals and warmongers under control the better.

Perhaps when he has his boot firmly on the neck of the American Constitution, Then, Then just maybe the Real Americans will kick this nut job out with all his toadies!

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

I wonder . . .

is that a function of his

1. utter cluelessness generally?
2. narcissistic self-absorption to the point of terribly poor reality testing?

3. supremely extreme arrogance to the point that he fantasizes adulation in arenas where there'll be nothing but contempt?
4. delusional notion that he's some sort of "leader" . . . of men ???? !!!! LOLOLOLOLOL.

Sigh.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: panicman66

Then just maybe the Real Americans will kick this nut job out with all his toadies!

. . . uhhhhh . . .

Let him with the biggest boots lob the first kick.

On the farm, growing up . . .

we learned to avoid kicking wet cow-pies.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 07:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: charles1952

You might very well be right, I haven't dug into it myself. I am struck, however, by the number of posters who indicated they watched it, or at least clips of it. That would seem to make their reaction entirely independent of the news sources. That's also why I'm accepting their verdict on the speech. No one seems to be saying it was inspiring, breathtaking, or anything other than below his average effort.

Hmmm. You are "struck" by the number of posters who saw he speech and posted here? Seems like those who posted are the same ones who always post anti-Obama threads. I guess you standards for truth are slipping. Of course you will accept the seven or eight peoples' verdicts on it. Not in any way surprised.

CJ

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Who would they cheer? Dick Cheney? Rummy? Draft dodger Bush? I guess that shows the mindset of Imperial mercenaries.

I don't think the stormtroopers would be cheering for Yoda either.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   

I am struck, however, by the number of posters who indicated they watched it, or at least clips of it.

I don't believe that watching very selective, heavily edited snippets on Fox News while being told by their talking heads what opinion one should have, counts as having "watched" it.

These same posters make clear their disdain for the POTUS; I doubt with every bone in my body that they sat down to listen to him give a commencement speech; in part or it's entirety.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: LeatherNLace

I am struck, however, by the number of posters who indicated they watched it, or at least clips of it.

I don't believe that watching very selective, heavily edited snippets on Fox News while being told by their talking heads what opinion one should have, counts as having "watched" it.

These same posters make clear their disdain for the POTUS; I doubt with every bone in my body that they sat down to listen to him give a commencement speech; in part or it's entirety.

The icy reception comment is that of cnn not fox.
Those of us that usually disagree with the great destroyer are the ones that listen to his every word.

Did you watch the video?
Did he look comfortable to you?
What's your take on his speech?
edit on 29-5-2014 by thesaneone because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:34 AM
link   
a reply to: ColoradoJens

Dear ColoradoJens,

What a joy to see you again! Our reunion is marred only by the fact that you feel I have failed you and abandoned my standards of truth. My apologies for that. Please allow me to try to redeem myself.

As far as the cadet's reception of the speech goes, may I provide the following from The New York Times:

West Point, with its 1,064 graduating cadets in full dress uniform, offered a grand backdrop for Mr. Obama’s foreign policy blueprint. But he got a subdued reception under leaden skies and chilly wind, which left family members of the cadets, many in shirt sleeves and sundresses, shivering in the stands of the football stadium.

www.nytimes.com...

From mediaite:

Obama’s “philosophical” speech to the 2014 graduates of West Point about a new direction for America’s foreign policy was “not a great” speech for that audience, said CNN anchor Jim Clancy on Wednesday. He said that the president did not sound like a “commander-in-chief speaking to his troops” and got an “icy reception” as a result.

“It was a philosophical speech,” Clancy said. “It was not a commander-in-chief speaking to his troops. And you heard the reception. I mean, it was pretty icy.”

www.mediaite.com...

And from The Daily Mail:

Receiving tepid applause and a short standing ovation from less than one-quarter of the audience upon his introduction, Obama argued for a contradictory foreign policy that relies on NATO and the United Nations while insisting that 'America must always lead on the world stage.'

www.dailymail.co.uk...

I did not see, in looking at 90 links, a single one which even hinted that the Cadets received the President with even ordinary enthusiasm. Until some one can produce two or three separate articles presenting that opinion, I think the truth of the "Icy reception" remains in tact.

Surprisingly, in look through those links, I might have found one opinion to the effect that he gave a good, clear, solid speech on foreign policy grounds. The White House, you may remember, billed this as a "major foreign policy speech." I didn't see anyone who agreed with that.

I have no interest in debating fine points with people who ask "Did you watch the whole thing?" No, I'm old and have a sensitive stomach. The people who are paid to do just that seem to be pretty nearly unanimous, left and right, that the Cadets weren't impressed, neither was anyone else.

I hope I've redeemed myself sufficiently in your eyes, but feel free to continue if I'm missing your point.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 01:00 AM
link   
a reply to: charles1952

Thanks for the great research Charles !!

I found some more quotes from the Obama "speech" and it seems he was emphasizing ......

wait for it .........

Climate Change !! (along with some other issues)

Always ironic as your one quote noted the "weather" was not so "pleasant". (Good thing for Obama that they re-named Global Warming to Climate Change)

Hmmm.

President Barack Obama told the graduating Army officers at West Point on Wednesday that fighting "climate change" will "help shape your time in uniform.

"Keep in mind, not all international norms relate directly to armed conflict," Obama said at the commencement ceremony for the U.S. Military Academy. "We have a serious problem with cyber-attacks, which is why we’re working to shape and enforce rules of the road to secure our networks and our citizens. In the Asia Pacific, we’re supporting Southeast Asian nations as they negotiate a code of conduct with China on maritime disputes in the South China Sea. And we’re working to resolve these disputes through international law.

Obama at West Point: 'Effort to Combat Climate Change...Will Help Shape Your Time in Uniform'

edit on May-30-2014 by xuenchen because:

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 01:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: BO XIAN
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

I wonder . . .

is that a function of his

1. utter cluelessness generally?
2. narcissistic self-absorption to the point of terribly poor reality testing?

3. supremely extreme arrogance to the point that he fantasizes adulation in arenas where there'll be nothing but contempt?
4. delusional notion that he's some sort of "leader" . . . of men ???? !!!! LOLOLOLOLOL.

Sigh.

2 &3, is my best guess. He's very arrogant, and very conceited. He isn't stupid, though, and he's got the leadership position, which is all he cares about. He isn't there to be good to anyone but himself. Lot of pride there. Quite expected, too. Fitting for who I think he is.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Dear xuenchen,

Your presence on ATS may be the main reason the Reptillians haven't taken over the country. Glad to see you're still swatting away the gnats.

I wasn't sure I wanted to go into the speech itself. The whole world (except perhaps for RT) is disappointed in it, most of the world seems to think it was pointless, full of strawmen and empty platitudes, and large hunks of the world think it was actually dangerous.

This may be off-topic, but if a person is not a low-information voter, I'll give 4-1 odds that he dislikes or is disappointed in Obama. Heck, make that 5-1.

You know I like to hear and discuss opposing views, but I am having a hard time finding people who can reasonably explain why Obama is a better than average president. Sometimes, I come close to despair.

I'm tired and babbling, but I just had another thought. We all know that Chicago is a Democrat City, because of their extensive cemetery records. If they can set up dead people to vote, why can't we elect dead politicians? Boy, could I get behind a Reagan - Thatcher ticket. And if anyone says Thatcher can't run, she's not a citizen, I will smile and point to Obama's picture.

Or, how about a Madison - Jefferson ticket? Their campaign would largely be "What have you bleepin' bleepers done to the decent country we left you?" Their first move would probably be to undo everything done in the last 20 years, cut government spending by 90%, and impeach at least half of Congress.

Please, leave an old man to his dreams.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 01:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Destinyone

That would be all too likely, I sometimes think.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join