It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant Living Sculptures At Atlanta Botanical Gardens’ Exhibition

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Thought this was pretty cool and I wonder how long it took to grow them this way? I like the snake one best I think., but the gorilla are cool too. There are others at the link.

images credit to Source: atlantabotanicalgarden.org

There is more to these amazing works of living art than meets the eye. Most of them begin with a steel frame of some sort, which is covered with steel mesh. This mesh is then covered with sphagnum moss and soil, which is seeded with all sorts of plants. Underneath the mesh, a network of irrigation channels supply water to the plants on the surface, helping them grow.

These amazing green structures seem to rise out of the earth and plants around them. And because the plants they are made from are living, they always stay green and fresh. Obviously, because of the textures and shapes that can be created with moss and low-growth plants, many of these structures lend themselves to organic forms, mimicking people or animals. The largest of them all, Earth Goddess, is 25 feet tall and is a permanent piece at the garden.

www.boredpanda.com...
or
atlantabotanicalgarden.org...
This got my creative juices flowing and made me wonder what figure I would like.
A Bruce Lee one, Rubick's cube, a ST Enterprise, a black/white abstract one, and maybe an elephant too.
How about you?
edit on 28-5-2014 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   
That is awesome! I would like a nice tree. Just a tree. I already have one! YES!!!!!!

Seriously, those are amazing sights.
edit on 28-5-2014 by bitsforbytes because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Absolutely STUNNING!! Thank you for sharing them. Nature is one thing that I can never tire of looking at. It constantly amazes me.

S&F

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Nature is one thing that I can never tire of looking at. It constantly amazes me.

Me too Kangaruex4Ewe! Hey you might dig my Nature Fans sig, lot's of nature stuff

How cool would it be to have a giant park full of these things, but make them even bigger in scale and put dozens or more.
edit on 28-5-2014 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: bitsforbytes
Thanks bfb, glad ya dug em'

Now a large tree made from some shrubs and flowers would be cool.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 09:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: speculativeoptimist
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Nature is one thing that I can never tire of looking at. It constantly amazes me.

Me too Kangaruex4Ewe! Hey you might dig my Nature Fans sig, lot's of nature stuff

I will go directly and check it out! I live in the country for a reason. I don't think any amount of Ionesco could convince me to live somewhere that I could never look out and see wide open spaces.

thanks!

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 09:50 PM
link   
We have something in Montreal that comes back every 7 years, I believe, and it was here last year, called the Mosaiculture.

Some of the work done by some countries is absolutely amazing. Kids love it as much as the adults.

Mosaiculture

Really something to see.
edit on 28-5-2014 by NowanKenubi because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: NowanKenubi
Wow!! Thank you so much for that, and it is much bigger than the one in OP. I would love to see that in person!
The details are awesome. I bet the kids really get a kick of it too. Someone should do a dinosaur themed one.
Some vids of the Montreal event.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Looking back at the link you provided int he OP. I just noticed there was a link to Montreal Mosaiculture. Apparently, the technique was developed here... lol I didn't know, I thought it came from elsewhere... At least, I can say I saw the first mosaiculture! How cool!

As for dinosaur themed mosaicultures, I think there were dragons, the first time it was presented. I would need to look back at the pictures we took then to confirm. I'll need to find them first. haha.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 03:40 AM
link   
S+F

Those look awesome. I bet it took a long time to grow these like this. Think of all the planning, time, and execution for these to come out that way. That's some dedication right there.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: speculativeoptimist

I just went to the NJ Sculptural Gardens with the kids last weekend to see Marilyn Monroe.
It was such a beautiful place!
Here's my mom and daughter:

new topics

top topics

join