It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should reparations be payed?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 11:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: jjsr420
Wow. The article said that, even if your family never owned slaves, you still owe? How's that work? I'm confused. I think this is all very played out. The race card has been played to death. Things were bad, stuff happened; it's different now, get over it. Move on with your life, and whatnot. Either way, i'm not paying a cent to anyone.

Karma baby Karma.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 12:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: irgust

originally posted by: vor78
I really don't see any reason why anyone alive today should receive reparations for something that ended a hundred years before most of them were even born. It seems to me that if any reparations were ever due, they were paid by the 600,000+ men who died in the Civil War.
You have a good point, the north won and freed the slaves, so by freeing people from slavery we should also pay reparation to them. And they say no good deed goes unpunished.

yeah and not only that;

Liberia was established by citizens of the United States as a colony for former African American slaves and their free black descendants. It is one of only two sovereign states in the world that were started by citizens of a political power as a colony for former slaves of the same political power: Sierra Leone was begun as a colony for resettlement of Black Loyalists and poor blacks from England for the same purpose by Britain."

en.wikipedia.org...

give them a free one way ticket or they can stfu.

they got a whole country for reparations, back when there were real slaves around.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 09:11 AM
link   
It is impossible to give reparations in a fair way. Who gets how much and why?
Also, what about the Chinese? (which another poster mentioned)
What about the Irish?
What about the immigrants who were forced into the military?
Not to mention WELFARE. I have talked to a few (black) people who consider welfare to be (their) reparations.
Offensive at it is, I have heard this more than once, from more than one person.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: captaintyinknots

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle
a reply to: Euphem

As far as indigenous populations, such as North American Indians, in a country that has been overwhelmed by a conquering group, I think there is an amount of reparation due.

There is a difference between importing slavery and exporting genocide.

Cheers - Dave
everything else aside, this is the exact reason theu will never be paid.

I'm sorry, could you elaborate upon that ? Or is that your personal sentiments. I would not be surprised.

Anyways reparations should be paid to the aboriginal/native american/african american/canadian population. Either that or demographics will change in good time so that North America will reflect reparations. Currently the native american/aboriginal population is booming at a higher rate than whites, and America is facing changing demographics as well. For once, whites will be a minority.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: cocointelpro

originally posted by: captaintyinknots

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle
a reply to: Euphem

As far as indigenous populations, such as North American Indians, in a country that has been overwhelmed by a conquering group, I think there is an amount of reparation due.

There is a difference between importing slavery and exporting genocide.

Cheers - Dave
everything else aside, this is the exact reason theu will never be paid.

I'm sorry, could you elaborate upon that ? Or is that your personal sentiments. I would not be surprised.

Anyways reparations should be paid to the aboriginal/native american/african american/canadian population. Either that or demographics will change in good time so that North America will reflect reparations. Currently the native american/aboriginal population is booming at a higher rate than whites, and America is facing changing demographics as well. For once, whites will be a minority.
Nothing to elaborate on. Its quite clear. Reparations is not a precedent that will be set in this country. If it were, it would be never ending. The big wigs wont allow that.

Really not that hard to understand, but I appreciate you following me from thread to thread.

edit on 30-5-2014 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Should reparations be payed?

Direct reparations are not possible. People have come to this country ... people have left this country ... since slavery ended. It's been 150 years. People would have to be able to prove that they are direct descendants of slaves that were in this country. I don't think there is genealogy documentation in tact that could say. It would mean creating a new federal bureaucracy to hunt down people's claims and to find ancient paperwork and a lot simply doesn't exist.

For those who want 'reparations' for slavery in the USA then we need federal programs for EVERYONE who need help. There is no other way to do it. It's not possible.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join