It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Web Won't Let Government Hide

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I came across this article on wired news regarding searches for info on the net. Thot I'd share w/y'all. There's a bunch of links to government sites. A good start if you're doing research & searching for gov. docs.

I love it. The government is finding it harder and harder to keep their secrets under wrap. The net won't let 'em. And the mainstream news is now driven by the net.
They can't keep up with it. It's at least 2 wks behind the info flying around in cyberspace.

When they opened up this information pandora's box, do you think they had any idea of how powerful it would become? Some did, I'm sure; tho many probably did not.

Web Won't Let Government Hide

By Ryan Singel | Also by this reporter Page 1 of 1

02:00 AM Nov. 29, 2004 PT

Given the government keeps tabs on the world using armies of agents, algorithms and wiretaps, how can a citizen compete? Try a browser.

Governments at every level these days are providing less information about their inner workings, sometimes using fear of terrorism as an excuse. But it's precisely times like these that mandate citizens' rights to check the efficiency of their government and hold those who fail accountable, open government advocates say.

The government itself won't make it easy, so an increasing number of websites and data crunchers are stepping in to provide information about the inner workings of government.

For starters, there's Google's little-known government specific search engine. Those proficient with crafting search terms can find Attorney General John Ashcroft's office number, gee-whiz nanotechnology movies and NASA's Microgravity Man comic strip. One can even find homeland security alerts about truck bombs (PDF) and the intelligence needs of the FBI.
wired.com...

Happy hunting!

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 08:46 AM
link   
At the same time, I feel that if they are trying to keep up and can't, it's within their power to hinder our freedom to express what we know, and their wishes for us not to realize the real truth... It will come soon...

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Here's another article in the same vein. It also has links to many helpful sites. Good government links.

Activists Crawl Through Web to Untangle US Secrecy

by William Fisher
NEW YORK - To combat the Bush administration's penchant for secrecy, U.S. citizens have been forced to unearth new sources for information they once read in their daily newspapers. But thanks to a few dedicated individuals and not-for-profit groups � and the Internet � such material is easier to come by than ever before.

"The Bush administration has taken secrecy to a new level. They have greatly increased the numbers and types of classified documents," says Steven Aftergood, who conducts one of the most widely used "open government" programs � the Federation of American Scientists (FAS) Project on Government Secrecy.

"They have made it far more difficult and time-consuming to obtain documents under the Freedom of Information Act [FOIA]. And they have imposed 'gag rules' on an ever-widening group of government employees," Aftergood added in an interview.
www.antiwar.com...

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Well, if they don't like some of the stuff people are sharing with each other on the web....soon, they will be able to just claim it's somehow helping the "terrorists" and well, congratulations, you've just won a free one way all expense paid vacation in Cuba....duration of stay to be determined at a later date.....at least that's how I am reading that draft of the patriot act 2 that's been "discovered".

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 07:56 AM
link   
What's scary is as soon as the government labels someone, the media amplifies that characterization and the person's reputation is toast. There's nothing any regular individual can do about it, either.

top topics

join